NHL 2011-12 Season

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
The regular season will get underway Thursday, October 6 when the Stanley Cup Champion Bruins (YES, that felt good to type :)) host the Flyers on Versus. Also that evening, Vancouver will host Pittsburgh on Versus.

NBC will start their season earlier this year, when the Red Wings visit the Bruins on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) at 12 noon ET. A turkey/stuffing/cranberry sauce sandwich while watching the Wings-Bruins.....what could be better? :)

Of course, "Versus" will be rebranded "NBC Sports Network" starting January 2.

Last edited:
Funny that you just posted this as I just posted elsewhere that I was happy that Hockey season was just around the corner.

Nice to see the return of Hockey...although it's hard to think about hockey in August and in the middle of a pennant chase. Additionally, as much as I love hockey I'm not in 100% hockey mode until the regular college season concludes (mid November) and there's snow on the ground. :)

Lets start of the thread with some pre season predictions.

I will say that my Blue Jackets will make their second playoff appearance this year. The big question is if their goaltending will be able to keep them in the thick of things. If Mason even comes close to his rookie season they will make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed.

Lets start of the thread with some pre season predictions.

I will say that my Blue Jackets will make their second playoff appearance this year. The big question is if their goaltending will be able to keep them in the thick of things. If Mason even comes close to his rookie season they will make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed.
Yep, the Jackets are definetly on the upswing. I could even see them as a top 4 seed in the Western Conference.

As far as an early prediction for Stanley Cup Champions? the Flyers?

Another team to look out for out West is the Nashville Predators. And of course, you can NEVER count out those Detroit Red Wings (a team I respect more than any other in ALL sports).

It seems funny referring to Columbus, Nashville and Detroit as teams "out West". Such is life in the geographically challenged NHL. :eek:

Yep, the Jackets are definetly on the upswing. I could even see them as a top 4 seed in the Western Conference.

I would love a top 4 finish but they have to much to prove for me to put them that high. They made a lot of great additions to the team this free agency and I sure hope they all mesh as a team.

I am very optimistic about my Sabres' chances this season.

Bill, I think your team and my team will be dueling for the division title.

I'll tell you what. Im not a big hockey fan. But I give credit for the NHL maybe thinking out of the box. I mean what a way to get ratings and some exposure then to have the Winter Classic on Jan.1 and now having a game on Black Friday. Very smart move.

I'll tell you what. Im not a big hockey fan. But I give credit for the NHL maybe thinking out of the box. I mean what a way to get ratings and some exposure then to have the Winter Classic on Jan.1 and now having a game on Black Friday. Very smart move.

I always thought just the opposite ....
having a Big game like that when the College Football plays a bunch of games on Jan 1st ?
Granted alot of the BIG games have moved to different days now.

Good point Jimbo but how many of those games are going to be close. And besides that, the two main bowl games, The Rose Bowl and whatever BCS game is on in primetime is on after The Winter Classic is over.

Good point Jimbo but how many of those games are going to be close. And besides that, the two main bowl games, The Rose Bowl and whatever BCS game is on in primetime is on after The Winter Classic is over.

Most of the time the Winter Classic is on like 1 pm est, there are usually 3 Bowl games on at that time, the 11 am game wrapping up and a 1 pm Bowl game and a 1:30 Bowl game.

The BCS has destroyed the tradition of New Years Day college football. Personally, I would like to see the NCAA limit the schedule to 12-games, get rid of these Conference championship games, and wrap-up the season by January 5th so these students can like...er, study?

riffjim4069 said:
The BCS has destroyed the tradition of New Years Day college football. Personally, I would like to see the NCAA limit the schedule to 12-games, get rid of these Conference championship games, and wrap-up the season by January 5th so these students can like...er, study?

I have been wanting less Bowl games for years, but every year they add More ....

Theshould set it up so the MNC game is in the Orange Bowl time slot, 8:30, right after the Rose Bowl.

That said, I think were in te wrong thread to expand much further.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I want to get a Winnipeg Jets jersey,but I think the irony will be lost on my fellow Georgians,especially if I wore it in Atlanta. Nobody will get it(understand). Meanwhile,the citizens of Winnipeg feel like Christmas came early.

Just five words needed for the 2011-12 Season!! SABRES WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!!!:whoo:

That would be classified as Fiction and found in the Fairy Tale section of your local library. :D Seriously, I am hoping the Red Wings days of playing in the Western Conference are numbered (i.e., as in this is their final year) since there are way too many late-night regular season and playoff games on the West Coast for my liking.

That would be classified as Fiction and found in the Fairy Tale section of your local library. :D Seriously, I am hoping the Red Wings days of playing in the Western Conference are numbered (i.e., as in this is their final year) since there are way too many late-night regular season and playoff games on the West Coast for my liking.

I am also hoping that Columbus can make the move over the the Eastern Conference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts