Nice to see the new HD channels are on

The RSN's that are part of your dma will not have the mlb blacked out. For example I'm in easter Iowa and according to MLB I get FSN-N, FSN-MW, and CSN-Chicago by subbing to multi pack and the games are not blacked out.

I get the same three RSN's in NW Iowa.
That gives me THREE total RSN's in HD as well.

I see about 4 HD RSN listed on my channel guide but I don't get any of them. I live in the D.C. area and MASN is our RSN and it's SD only. Real bummer.

OK, I'm going to add HD programming in the next couple of days, so I can't see any of this for myself. Lets get down to it...

How good do the new channels look? The HD programming, not the upscaled junk. How do the programs compare to the MPEG 2 channels? Thanks folks.

That reminds me of a question.
If I have the Guide set to "All Sub", Why am I seeing ALL of the RSN's in HD?
Granted, I pay for the Multi Sport Package, but I am blacked out of all but THREE RSN's in HD. Yet they all show up in my program guide.

Yes I see what you are saying and I'm not disagree with you. My point is that many TV Service Providers do this they all do similar things just call it something different. Yes one of these days we will be back to one format which will be all HD. But the TV Service Providers have limited control on that we all must wait on the Networks to do their part which will take sometime. Maybe at some point Dish will do some kind of special HD Package where you can pay just to get HD. Again I see what your saying. :)

I really dont see E*, or anyone else, creating HD-only packages (except perhaps some small add-on niche HD paks that the mainstream may not want). as i see it, we're currently in a transition period that will end with all channels being HD. at some point we wont be charged a separate HD fee, we'll just be able to take HD for granted like we do SD today.

no idea how each content provider will pass along the cost of their individual HD conversions...but i suspect it could result in carriage agreement increases that get passed on to us.

i just dont see the dual SD/HD model continuing forever, and I think i see evidence of this with HBO/MAX. i believe that HBO/MAX is only going to have HD versions (or MPEG4 versions) of all 26 channels next year? and that those w/o HD receivers will be getting a down conversion of the HD channel? on the same channel number as those receiving the HD version? obviously a bit fuzzy on how HBO truly plans to implement this...

So if I want a couple of extra SD channels I need to increase my package too?

That's crazy!

You have to be receiving the SD channel to get the HD twin channel. That's the way it works. It's called an "incentive" to expand your subscription level.

Those that pay the most money, get the most HD.

I think at the end of the day, Direct is going to kill Dish with their HD offerings, and if not Comcast will.

This is just getting ridiculous! I know I am not alone in getting sick of seeing these ridiculous posts about what we will or will not have in the future!

I have had Dish for almost two years thanks to their HD offerings and I am not complaining (or worried). On cable I had three channels in HD and a really really crappy DVR. My 622 is not TIVO (or ReplayTV for that matter, both of which I have owned) but it beats the snot out of the General Instruments HD dvr that the cable company 'let' me use.

Instead of making someone get 250 channels why not tack on some money to the HD package if you want the premiums? Say $25 instead of $20. That's fair. There is NO REASON at all to do it the way Charlie is other then to nail us.

It's the same with the external HD charge. What's up with that? While I gladly paid it where did they come up with $39.95? What is the fee for? Why not $9.95? I mean you can downgrade for $5.

He knows everyone wants this, figure out the revenue alone at $39.95 times the amount of people that will get this feature now and in the future.

All I ask for is fair pricing.

What are all the competitors offering and their TOTAL/Monthly costs? What is the flexibility of those options and what is the PQ and customer service like? Fair pricing comes from a free market. Railing on E* might make you feel better but doesn't explain why you should be right and Charlie is wrong.

I'm not posing as a fanboy for E*, but, I know what country I live in.

This is just getting ridiculous! I know I am not alone in getting sick of seeing these ridiculous posts about what we will or will not have in the future!

I hear that. I never understood folks who service hopped so much. I've had Dish since '99. It was then and still is the best for me. I loved MLB EI but Dish doesn't have it. I still sub. Never thought of leaving.

It's too big a pain in the rump to move things around and get used to new equipment.
Dish is my comfortable shoe. New shoes cost more and hurt too much in the beginning so I wear what I have comfortably.

JThree said:
8AM - Sunrise Earth on APHD is standard def and cropped, not in HD.
KAB said:
Not for me. Looked great. In fact, aspect ratio was wider than 16:9.

That's why I assume it wasn't HD. The HD version of Sunrise Earth on Discovery HD Theater is 16:9 with no bars. Animal Planet SD airs Sunrise Earth letterboxed. Today on Animal Planet HD Sunrise Earth had thin bars at the top and bottom because they were cropping and stretching the letterboxed SD version.

I've been a Dish Subscriber since 1999, at 3 different houses now, and won't switch.

1) the DVR's are great (Especially the 622's).
2) the service is fairly priced
3) the channel lineups mostly make sense (they've added some shopping channels in weird places lately, but Oh well).
4) the service works.

I've had ONLY DVR's, and won't have a non-[pd]vr in the house.

I hear that. I never understood folks who service hopped so much. I've had Dish since '99. It was then and still is the best for me. I loved MLB EI but Dish doesn't have it. I still sub. Never thought of leaving.

This is why you see more and more service providers with 18 month and 2 year contracts/agreements because of all these service hoppers who fancy themselves savvy consumers by changing services every 12 months to scoop all the best deals. It's just like ebay fever where bidding is more important than actual savings. You could buy most of the stuff on ebay for the same price or less elsewhere but there they are driving the bid up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts