Nimiq 4 strength

That would be 91 that has those new transponders appearing in the deep south. TSN is on now. I would like to hear if any recent changes have occured on 82. I asked on another thread if it would be a waste of time to set up a dish to try to get it here in S. California but got no reply. Was that because it was a stupid question?:confused:

That would be 91 that has those new transponders appearing in the deep south. TSN is on now. I would like to hear if any recent changes have occured on 82. I asked on another thread if it would be a waste of time to set up a dish to try to get it here in S. California but got no reply. Was that because it was a stupid question?:confused:

OK.. Sat. 91 I thought as much. What threw me off was the mention of the 77W satellite and interference issues. I wouldn't think that 91 would have any issue with 77.

WRT to your question about 82W in S. California. Of course it is not a stupid question. But you can use this rule of thumb, if you get nothing now except maybe TP3 on 82W, then a bigger dish may not be worth the effort.

I did read on another forum where a guy in Texas (Dallas) had a 10 ft. dish and was able to get rather weak signals on some TPs like 32, but others like 2 were still at 0.

What is odd is how TP3 is still at 100% in most places while all others are so weak.

This morning in Apachejunction AZ all TP on 91 are back at 95 to 100 % finally happy again with expressvue, its been a lot of year. On my 30 in dish all TP hit 95 to 100 and the 18 in there 85 to 95 %.

This morning in Apachejunction AZ all TP on 91 are back at 95 to 100 % finally happy again with expressvue, its been a lot of year. On my 30 in dish all TP hit 95 to 100 and the 18 in there 85 to 95 %.

Yes here in the Bay Area too!! we have all our channels back for the first time in years. Thank you bell!! :clap:clap:clap

Yes I know you folks who get HD arent happy and I didn't mean to make you feel bad. Just happy at having all our channels back after years. But yeah if we ever upgrade to HD I guess we'll have to get Starchoice.

I live in Florida area and I never had this problem before but now its giving me a hard time. I am originally from Ontario, Canada but come down for the winter here

From what I know and understand is that Nimiq 2 will no longer be at its location. Bell ExpressVu has done some work to increase the demand and nimiq 2 will be replaced by nimiq 4 and 5 with more HD sound and picture.

Just like about 2-3 months ago, I received a letter from Bell ExpressVu indicating that they are upgrading their systems and that in between I might experience some down time and if that happens, not worry at all and it will be for a short periods of time.

Now I don't know, once the birds have been changed, do we have to move the dish to place it at another location or the service will resume again at the same location as 82W?

I also heard from a friend of mine who works at Bell that Bell ExpressVu is establishing a Shield around the 49th Parallel. Could this mean that there will no longer be this service available in the States or what?

My 82W is completely dead, only TP 7 at 90% but nothing shows. I called the CSR at Bell and explained everything, the CSR told me that they are upgrading and that down time will be shortly for periods of times and I called again and asked how long more? My number was taken but no calls returned.

Should I get my own tools or should I wait for Bell ExpressVu to contact me? Does anyone have any ideas what's happening?

If you are in Flordia, you won't be getting any signal on Nimiq 4 @ 82w, which is the active satellite at that orbital location. The new footprint of the satellite does not go that far south, even though in TN there are reports of some larger 30inch dishes getting a stable signal on that satellite. This is discussed numerously in this thread, so I would look back and see what people have said, especially those who are also in the Sunshine State.

Also, Nimiq 5, which is years away, is slated to go to 72.x (5/7).

cromes, as mentioned in the previous post, and being in Florida myself, the days of getting any signal from 82 and HD channels are over.

The only thing left to do is if you had a seperate dish pointing at 82, is take it down. :(

That or go and get the biggest dish you can find, like a 10' dish and point it, see if you can get a fringe signal and report back to us.

And with a 90cm 82W is a no go in Louisiana. Not even a blip of a signal on the Nimiq4 TP's.

I can bet if I had a 12 footer with a prime focus LNB I'd still get nothing.

My 82W LNB is on a 80cm dish, and the only TPs that are not in the 40's are: TP1=0, TP3=100, & TP5=0. :(

I have moved to Starchoice and it's HD picture quality is just as good as Bell's.

digiblur will win the bet for sure.

Signal strength drop during window

Hi,

I'm in the mountains of Colorado, about 60 miles SW of Denver (as the crow flies), at roughly 9500 feet elevation, with a 1m custom dish and LNBfs. One dual-output LNBf is dialed into 91 degrees, one dual-output LNBf is dialed into 82 degrees, all tied into an SW44 switch that then distributes signal to receivers. I've had this setup for roughly 7 years, adding the 82 slot and the SW44 when those came online, with the only problem being a failed LNBf that was easily replaced, until Nimiq4 moved into the 82 degree slot and took over there.

Here's my experience with the new Nimiq4 satellite. Strength on all transponders is roughly in the 60 - 70 range, except for a period of time in the evening, that I'll explain below. For reference, signal strength for the 91 degree location (where Nimiq 2 is taking over for Nimiq 1) is generally in the 95 range for all transponders, and stays at that strength consistently.

Beginning about 7:00 p.m. mountain time, signal strengths for Nimiq4 at the 82 degree slot gradually drops to between 40 and 50, depending on the transponder. For some channels (depending on the associated transponder), that's sufficient to maintain a picture, but on most it's not.

Later in the evening (around midnight), signal strengths rise again to the 60 - 70 range again, plenty sufficient for normal reception, and by about 2:00 a.m. everything is back. Daily weather doesn't correlate to this window, and my understanding is that cooler temperatures in the evening generally should improve reception.

All of this began when Nimiq4 moved into the 82 degree slot and took over from Nimiq2.

Some questions for the community, please, for those who better know the inner-workings of Bell TV. I've read of a "wobble" in Nimiq4. Is the signal drop during the window associated with the wobble, and to be expected? If so, does anyone know when the wobble will be resolved?

Is that period associated with a maintenance window that Bell TV has, while they're working on Nimiq4 to stabilize it, something to do with scheduled daily work that wasn't evident previously, or something associated with footprint variations (like a wobble)?

Is there something else going on that would explain the signal drop during that window?

Thanks and regards,
Eric Nixdorf

Some questions for the community, please, for those who better know the inner-workings of Bell TV. I've read of a "wobble" in Nimiq4. Is the signal drop during the window associated with the wobble, and to be expected? If so, does anyone know when the wobble will be resolved?

Is that period associated with a maintenance window that Bell TV has, while they're working on Nimiq4 to stabilize it, something to do with scheduled daily work that wasn't evident previously, or something associated with footprint variations (like a wobble)?

Is there something else going on that would explain the signal drop during that window?

Thanks and regards,
Eric Nixdorf

They aren't working on stabilizing it. Every satellite needs to stay in it's "box" in the sky. There is no need to keep it in the same exact position as the targeted customers will never notice a difference. So every satellite controller out there lets the satellite bump around in the "box". They could keep it in the exact spot if they wanted but that would use up the fuel on the satellite very quickly. So this is what you are seeing as the satellite moves around the fringe areas change in signal strength.

They aren't working on stabilizing it. Every satellite needs to stay in it's "box" in the sky. There is no need to keep it in the same exact position as the targeted customers will never notice a difference. So every satellite controller out there lets the satellite bump around in the "box". They could keep it in the exact spot if they wanted but that would use up the fuel on the satellite very quickly. So this is what you are seeing as the satellite moves around the fringe areas change in signal strength.

So with that said the only thing that can probably help you is getting a low signal-to-noise ratio lnb for 82, or making some minor adjustments to your satellite starting at about 7pm to see if you focus the satellite more on 82 instead of 91 you can bump the signal enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)