No even transponders on D10 Help Please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

poidog81

Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Hi all,

The problem that I am having is that I just purchased a new DirecTV D10 receiver (as a second receiver) and it will not ping any of the even transponders on any jacks in my house. It will find all of the odds though. It will go to the last part of the box setup and lock up saying "searching for signal." I cannot get any channels to come in.

I have a Samsung HD receiver in the living room and it works fine on all jacks in the house.

I thought is was a box issue so I exchanged it out at Best Buy, but the new box has the same issue.

I live in a condo building that has two shared round dishes on the roof. A neighbor told me that he thinks we have a high frequency network and he didn't think the D10 receiver would work on it, so he gave me a down converter to plug in that should allow the box to see the even transponders. It doesn't.

Does anyone know how to fix my problem?

Thanks!

poidog81, Fist of all I would like to welcome you to satelliteguys.us. glad you are a member now. I would start by checking all of your connections especially the ones out side by the grounding block. I had the same exact problem one time and it turned out to be corrosion inside of the grounding block itself. If you can unhook the connections from the grounding block and replace the fittings on the ends of the coax cable and also replace the grounding block . hopefully this will solve your problem and once again welcome to satelliteguys..................DIGITAL~DAN

Thanks, but that does not seem to be the fix. There is nothing wrong with the lines as a whole for the building.

My samsung hd reciever conpletely works in all the house's jacks, but this new D10 box does not.

Any other suggestions?

Have you tried hooking up the receiver at a friends house away from your condo duplex. That would let you know if it was a receiver problem or a wiring problem within your condo duplex.(The high frequency network) as you say could be causing the problem.I really have never herd of that problem but anything is possible.Well maybe someone on this forum can help. There really are alot of knowledgeable people on this forum and somebody will have a solution to your problem . Well it looks like I have helped about as much as I can on this one..........DIGITAL~DAN

I believe you are on a "stacked system". This requires the use of either certain models of D* equipment that can support this type of system and or a destacker. Apartment complexes and Condos install this type of system when they are running multiple outlets to one or two dishes. If you unplugged your old box and only plugged in your new box it will most likely work fine. The problem comes in when you try to add a second receiver. Essentially you only have one line running to your condo regardless of how many jacks you have in your house. Destackers are expensive somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 to 400 dollars. I am by no means an expert in this area but you might try contacting the contractors that originally installed the system. I lived in an aparment complex with a system like this. I installed a dish on my balcony in a bucket full of cement and brought a second line into my apartment that way. That might be your cheapest route. As long as the dish is installed in an area you control exclusively and you do not permanently mount it then it is legal regardless of what your condo association may say.

I concur with SS, it sounds like you are in a stacked system. The DirecTV D-10 does have a built in stacker, however, many of them do not have the right software on board from the factory.

*** Edited *** See last post for correction ***

Are you getting HDTV on your Samsung? If you are you must have three satellites seeing 101 carries the basic channels and 110 & 119 carry HDTV signals. I doubt the D-10 has software for this complex stacked system, contact the complexes provider to see if you can use it on their system.

Thanks for everyones help so far. Seeing if it was a stacked system... i completely unplugged the working samsung and only had the D10 plugged into my system.... no luck. The D10 is still not picking up any of the even transponders.

Should I be using this downconverter thingy, or is it useless?

CablerMN - let me know what you find out.... if I leave it on the system download page for a long enough will it work, or am I just better off buying a box that will work? (if so do you know which ones will)

Thanks

Been a long day and forgot to ask my lead tech - sorry. Have a call into him now. We have several stacked MDUs under our belt, trust me, the D10 really does have a destacker built in .. don't spend the money for an external one.

(The following is for archival and future search purposes) The other brand that we use is the Hughes SD-HBH (and earlier through the G series). Doesn't require the software download like the D10s, works right out of the box after telling it what system you have.

Ok ... made an error.

Apparently the D10 needs to be plugged into a standard source, allow the setup to complete, then reinstall on the stacked system.

What I am saying is that you need to find someone with a regular dish that will allow you to use it long enough to get through the setup screens. Take it home run through the auto-detect and your all set.

My apologies for the misinformation.

Hey,

Okay, I had our building installer come out, and he was confused why it wasn't working because other units in the building had multiple boxes in them. So, he sold me a DBS Subscriber Unit (for $50, is that a good price?)that runs in between the wall jack and the box. I now get all of the transponders except for 30 and 32 (so i get no HBO or showtime), but all of the other channels come in. Weird. Do you know of any way to get those last two to come in? It seems like they don't have enough signal strength because the picture and audio jumps around. Is there a really good splitter out there that doesn't loose signal strength (I've noticed the signal strength goes down when i use certain splitters in my homerun)?

Thanks,
-Eric

Ok, I was able to get the last two transponders to come in by using a $12 signal booster coming out of the subscriber unit.

All is working now, just took a while!

Thanks for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What do I need to get for full installation??

Check HD programing in your area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts