Northern Satellite Corp NSC 18-1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tmbp

Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Hungary
Hello form Hungary!
Just recently I acquired a large sat dish, and not knowing which manufacturer produced it, I looked around on the various websites, finally tracking down some drawings which were remarkably similar - in fact I thought it was a Prodelin 2194 - until one day on the ladder I noticed it was a Northern Satellite NSC 18-1.

I would like to ask if anyone has one of these dishes in the US, as they are few and far between here in Central Europe. More specifically if anyone has the Focal point or the feed holder rod dimensions, and the feedhorn that would be matched to this dish?

I plan to get the astra 2D transmissions, and I am really on the fringe of the 2D footprint here, but I need to be sure that the Feedhorn and the LNB are optimized for the reception before I give up - or even before I begin investigating the possibilities.

I also attach pics of the feed/holders for verification is they are possibly the originals.

Many thanks,
Thomas.

Attachments

• Rear_Dish.jpg
    Rear_Dish.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 672
  • 2194 back.pdf
    719.2 KB · Views: 383
  • Front_Dish.jpg
    Front_Dish.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 710
  • LNB 001.jpg
    LNB 001.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 631
  • LNB 004.jpg
    LNB 004.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 610
  • feedhorn.jpg
    feedhorn.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 538
not much help:

Here are some decent pictures (we have many more!) of the 1.8 meter (6 feet) Prodelin dish that quite a few members have found:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/932546-post10.html

You did not say the size of your dish (height and width of the reflector)
(based on the part number, I'll guess it's a 1.8 meter dish, too!) - :rolleyes:
It is not (in my opinion) a Prodelin dish, as in the PDF you supplied.

On the other hand, two previous forum members seem to have come across NSC 12-1 dishes which are about 1.2 meters in size.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/160314-captain-s-1-2m-h-2-h-mount.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/170540-new-rescue-nsc12-1-a.html

Unless disclosed in one of the two threads above, I don't believe we have much more info on the company nor their dishes.

We do have an FTA Manuals & Documents department.
I did not see NSC listed (but you could look again).

Wecome to the forum Thomas.

I doubt the dish came with a specific LNB. It is clearly made for a C120 flange and the LNB looks to be a universal quad invacom QDF 031. I consider this to be one of the most sensitive and well made LNBs (but pricey) and if it is grey as opposed to cream it is at least 6 years old. Its only problem is it is open to insects but compressed air normally sorts that. The cap is a mod I think.

You should be fine for Astra 2D with a 1.8 m dish I use a 3m in Cyprus. I would not be too concerned about focal distances especially if you are aligning with a spectrum analyser. If not feed your location etc into this calculator SatLex Digital :: Technology :: Calculators :: AZ/EL Calculator and use 12523H SR 27.5k FEC auto. You should pick up either BADR 26east or astra 28 east, the language will tell you which one you are on and at worst you will only be 2 degrees out.

Good luck

Thank you Anole and Pedrogarcia for your help and information. The dish is not a prodelin, but the geometry drawing on the PDF is the same as the dish I have. The dish height is 2m and the width 1.80m.

I was lead to beleive that the feedhorn is a vital element as it maybe that the one I have does not illuminate the maximum size of the dish - but I could be wrong. I also have a 1.20m dish - when I attach the LNB there I get 100% signal strength, but when I attach it to the large dish, I am only getting about 80% - that's after I have set it up to the optimum signal and tweaked everything - which I why I think the feedhorn is not allowing max signal into the LNB.

Any Ideas?

Many thanks,
Thomas.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)