* Note - Do Not Call For Mpeg4 UNTIL FEB 1ST*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I called dish this weekend, for a different matter. At the end of the call the CSR asked me if I would be interested in upgrading any of my programming. I mentioned to him that I am waiting for the 622 and the HD packages. He stated that he had never heard of the 622, but could get me either a 411 or a 942. Told him I wasn't interested in the 942 because it didn't have the MPEG4 capabilities. He then asked what MPEG4 was. I suggested that he possibly watch one of the CC's. He said they will be getting upgrading classes in the next couple of weeks.

Sure hope some of these folks pay attention in class.

Anybody getting the sense that the new pay rates and structures were the real change implemented and that the 'upgrades' were just dangled out there to keep people from totally balking at them. Seems the only certainty right now is that the prices are inching up...all else is slowly drifting into Q2.

Hey, if they want to raise my bill a few bucks and decide that giving me a boatload of new content and new hardware will placate me then......

Well, they're right!

Give me new toys and new content and the price hike will barely get mentioned.....

shanewalker said:
Anybody getting the sense that the new pay rates and structures were the real change implemented and that the 'upgrades' were just dangled out there to keep people from totally balking at them. Seems the only certainty right now is that the prices are inching up...all else is slowly drifting into Q2.
I couldnt care less about $5 price increases every year. What chaps the hell out of me is having to pay over $1700 to upgrade all of my HD DVRs. No way am I going to wait four years to upgrade all of my receivers to see the new channels. That is probably what is going to send me over to FiOS TV.

BobMurdoch said:
Hey, if they want to raise my bill a few bucks and decide that giving me a boatload of new content and new hardware will placate me then......
Well, they're right!
Give me new toys and new content and the price hike will barely get mentioned.....

My point was made by yours. I think they want us to 'fail to see the forest for the trees' as it were. Talk up the 'upgrade', which we won't see for many months...while instituting the rate increase ASAP, and hope folks stay fixated on the carrot mirage. I understand completely WHY they'd do such a thing, I just don't like it.

I'm not talking pessimistic conspiracy theories here...it just seems to be a bit of "Hey, look at this hand waving the shiny thing" so you don't see the only thing really affecting you is the other hand quietly sneaky behind you and tugging at your wallet.

I too don't have a prob w/ moderate rate increases--just seems the dog and pony show that was the Charlie Chat is proving to be just that, a show. I've been giving E* the benefit of the doubt, but the double-speak resigns me to demanding facts and concrete benefits, not "hope."

Last edited:
I am interested in upgrading my 811 to a 622.

My questions are:

Can I call at 12:01am Feb 1st to order the new receiver.

Do you think Dish will be able to deliver and install before Superbowl Sunday?

OK, guys this is my first post, but I'm not new to reading here.

I'm one of the customers who activated service with a 942 about 17 days ago. However, I called D* before signing up and asked if the 942 was MPEG-4 capable. After talking with several people and being on hold, I was told "Yes" but that I would need an adapter to work with it. So, I signed up. Needless to say having just paid $250 I was a little upset with the news during 1/9 CC. So, I emailed Charlie Ergen directly. I sent it to 3 different email address last night; ceoofdishnetwork@dishnetwork.com, ceo@echostar.com and charlie.ergen@echostar.com. Looks like he responded from the charlie.ergen@echostar.com.

He responded below. I came away with a positive feeling that they will take some things into consideration. He also stated that 622 won't be out until March and even stated that they will actively be in contact with me in March.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Anyway here's what he replied with.

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:20 AM
To: Tony Burt
Subject: RE: 1/9 Charlie Chat, HD = Upset customer

Dear Tony,

The model 622 will be out in March. I suggest we reconnect at that point and decide how to make sure you are treated fairly....i understand you are in a unique position. I have copied my assistant , Mariedes to make sure we communicate with you in March. Feel free to contact her. For now, you have the right equipment but i agree if you want the new HD channels we will have to replace your current receiver with a fair deal

charlie

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 12:30 AM
To: CEO of Dish Network; CEO; Ergen, Charlie
Subject: 1/9 Charlie Chat, HD = Upset customer

Dear Mr. Ergen,

I want to first thank you for holding the Charlie Chats to inform customers of recent events and upcoming changes. However, announcements during the most recent chat have left me thinking twice about your service. Please allow me to explain my situation.

I have been doing extensive research on MPEG 4 and Dish Network in order to make an educated decision about signing up for your service. On 12/23 I called Dish Network and asked them about the new 942 receiver and its MPEG-4 capabilities. After being on hold with one of the technicians for quite some time, I was told that the 942 was MPEG-4 compatible but that an adapter would be required to help the receiver decode the signal. After much debate and research, I decided to spend the $250 to get the 942.

On 12/24, I signed up for service. I was talked into an upgrade fee to get the Dish 1000, but more on that later. My service was installed on 12/30, just barely over 2 weeks ago. My install took 5 hours to complete as I was the first Dish 1000/ DVR942 setup they had ever done and they didn’t really know what they were doing. I have installed many, many dishes over the years for my friends and family and knew more than these guys did.

Anyway, things have been well with my setup that is until now. I am very disheartened to learn that I just paid $250 for the 942 and now I’m going to have to pay another $99 to upgrade to the ViP 622. It also said that a New Subscriber would be able to get the $299 price with $200 rebate whereas 16 days ago, I paid $250 for a receiver that I was told would NOT be made obsolete by MPEG-4. Going back to the “upgrade” fee that I paid for the Dish 1000, your Charlie Chat stated that I get free installation and upgrade to the newest dish. I have already paid for the new dish and everyone knows that all you need to do is send me the receiver for the install. In my situation, no install is needed what-so-ever.

Mr. Ergen, I do feel that your offer is pretty decent for those who have had their equipment for a while (such as 921 owners), but I feel that there needs to be a provision for those who have signed up within the last 30 days or so. I have spoken with Tech Support and Customer Service and they state they cannot help me. I do not feel that it is fair for me to have to pay the $99 for installation that I don’t need, especially since I just paid $250 a HD DVR when in April you will be offering that for new subs for $99 AR. Even if I’m mistaken on that fact and the upgrade fee from standard to HD DVR will be $299 that still is only $49 above what I paid 16 days ago, not $99.

I urge you to waive the $99 fee for brand new subs or at the very least lower it to $49. In my situation, I was given false information from your employees prior to my signing the agreement. If this fee cannot be waived, then I request a service credit in the amount of $99. Lastly, if nothing can be resolved I will seek to have my account terminated and the equipment removed. I will take whatever steps necessary to avoid a penalty for early cancellation. I sincerely hope that something can be worked out and I can once again recommend Dish Network to my friends and family. I would very much like to remain a loyal Dish Network customer.

I look forward for a response. Thank you in advanced for your time.

Sincerely,

gdarwin said:
They told me 8 to 11 days. Ordered my 211 on the 11th - Still waiting.

You ordered a 211 to replace one of your 811s, I assume? Curious, why didn't you wish to replace your 942 w/ a 622? Or did you BUY this 211 outright (vs. or seperate from the 'Dish it Up' lease/upgrade deal)?

shanewalker said:
You ordered a 211 to replace one of your 811s, I assume? Curious, why didn't you wish to replace your 942 w/ a 622? Or did you BUY this 211 outright (vs. or seperate from the 'Dish it Up' lease/upgrade deal)?
I upgraded from a 311 for the 211 with a Dish it up.. The 942 is unique because I purchased it along with an 811. I want to see the upgrade path for purchased equipment. BTW... It arrived tonight and is installed.:)

Cokeswigga said:

My questions are:

Superbowl XL viewing will not likely be common place or even possible with the 622. You'll likely have to watch the Superbowl with your 811. Hopefully the 622 will roll out by mid FEB or early MAR, but at that point the 921/942 users are better off waiting until 4/1 and grab the $200 rebate.

Last edited:
Cokeswigga said:

My questions are:

Can You put an antenna on it?

gdarwin said:
Can You put an antenna on it?

I have an antenna... if you are interested read on

Thread Hijack warning
This is my whole complaint.

I can tune in OTA to NBC, CBS, and FOX anytime. (I'm in the Los Angeles Market so all the transmission antennas are on the same mountaintop)

But for some stupid reason, ABC (channel 53.1) has a very strange multipath issue that NONE of the other channels have.

The 811 can't figure out how to tune in ABC. Now 10% of the time, ABC will tune in and the strength will be in the high 80's ( all the other channels are also in the high 80's) but thats IF the 811 can figure it out. most of the time its 49% strength "unable to lock"

Now if I turn my antenna and point it 60 degrees off axis, and point to toward the nearby mountain, I can tune in ABC 95% of the time, but the signal strength is in the 60's and it drops and pixelates all the time :(

So this translates into NO I can't get ABC. :mad:

So I was hoping they would add the locals to the 148 satelite, but no, they have to be a bunch of B$@#$ and put it on 129 and make it MPEG4 and make me pay for the upgrade to get them. I don't mind paying for it,,, but damn, they are doing a crappy way of rolling it out.

How do you know which satellites are going to be carrying which locals? Seems like you know your will be on 129? I'm curious which sat the Minneapolis HD locals will be on, and also which sat(s) the new general HD channels will be on.

"The 811 can't figure out how to tune in ABC"

and I thought I was the only one. I can't get ABC here in the SF Bay Area with an 811. Everything else works fine except ABC. Even at 90% it shows pixelation and audio drops. I've tried at least three different antennas and nada. I just gave up and blamed the 811.

RandallA said:
and I thought I was the only one. I can't get ABC here in the SF Bay Area with an 811. Everything else works fine except ABC. Even at 90% it shows pixelation and audio drops. I've tried at least three different antennas and nada. I just gave up and blamed the 811.

Maybe Dish has some beef with ABC and programmed it into their receivers :)
I bet the 622 will have problems tuning in lifetime if it comes back to Dish :)

I think that the 811 OTA chip has a real problem with staying locked on a weak OTA channel. I even have dropouts on signal strengths in the 80's. I sure hope the 622 has a much better OTA chip that handles multipath problems alot better. If not there is always HD-LIL-LITE which is way better then the overly compressed crappy SD-LIL that I am getting. Here's to hoping E* gets that 622 out sooner than March 1st.

RandallA said:

FWIW, KGO's antenna on Mt Sutro has been broadcasting at reduced power for some time now due to a malfunction. I think KCBS and KQED also broadcast on that antenna. I can't get any of the three stations with my newly installed antenna. (I'm in Redwood City.)

You should go to the San Francisco OTA thread at avsforums.com for the latest info, or also the hdtv-sfbay yahoo group.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vip222 vs Vip221

More Issues (811 guide data, looks like a kiddie hack)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)