Now let's get truthful about AVATAR.

Ever seen Pocahontas?? Or even if you've ever heard the story of Pocahontas...Then you've seen Avatar
rolleyes.gif

Any iPad owners, check out the Avatar podcast in iTunes. It's about a 10 min video in HD that shows the motion capture technology used in making this. Pretty impressive!

I found it just surfing around but I think it you open the iPod icon on your iPad, you'll be able to search avatar podcast and find it.

OK, OP here. Just finished watching the BD. My summation...the greatest terrible movie I've ever seen. Wonderful to look at...a pain to sit through. A one timer!!!

OK, OP here. Just finished watching the BD. My summation...the greatest terrible movie I've ever seen. Wonderful to look at...a pain to sit through. A one timer!!!

Yep. Great pq but lasted an hour too long.

It seems like what the younger movie viewers wants. Special effects and no story or a weak one.

Last edited:
Just watched the blue-ray this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it...and that is after seeing in 2.5 times in the theater (don't ask, had to leave one showing mid-viewing which is why I went for the 3rd).

In the theater, I saw it twice in 3D and the last time in 2D. The 2D showing was on a gigantic screen, but seemed bland after the 3D experience so integral to the Avatar movie experience. However, being so long since my theater viewings, I had forgotten most of the 3D details and the BD version was fantastic.

I have a new Sony 60" 240hz screen and this was a perfect movie to break in the new home theater. The first 15 minutes I felt my screen was too small for this movie. :) But, once I got enveloped back into the movie I forgot I wasn't in a theater, absorbed the comforts of home, and enjoyed the story yet again.

No, the plot isn't complex nor does it take several viewings to figure out all the nuances, but its a great story and the visuals are breathtaking. It doesn't matter to me if the frame of the story is an old formula. It works! The new aspects are of an entire new world you get to experience and a new technology (the avatar driver) that we've never seen before. So, even if the broad storyline is predictable, there are so many new sci-fi elements going on to enjoy. And the length was perfect...if anything, I could have taken more. It is a nice change when a film takes the time to develop characters and relationships instead of throwing action scene after action scene at you while ignoring other essential parts of a good story. It is really groundbreaking and a classic we'll be watching for years.

So yeah, I hated it. :clap I hope they don't kill it in sequels.

Now, while I don't like the double dip going on with two releases, I was happy that a version came out as quick as it did and we didn't have to wait an extra couple months for a full featured version to be developed. This version is great...it is the accolade winning theater version. When the "extras" version comes out, this one will go on ebay and I'll get the new one.

Speaking of Avatar, found a somewhat similar movie on EPIX this weekend. "Battle for Terra"

I say somewhat like Avatar, but with a better story.

Now all the comic book movies are going 3D
I had a friendly debate with someone over the weekend about how the original King Kong was better then the 2005 version. The man I debated with was 24. He kept going back and telling me the Special Effects were better then the old version. That's all he had.

I had a friendly debate with someone over the weekend about how the original King Kong was better then the 2005 version. The man I debated with was 24. He kept going back and telling me the Special Effects were better then the old version. That's all he had.
Oh geez, the new King Kong was awful. Not the right flick for Jack Black and well, a little too campy. Could have skipped that remake.

Your discussion w/ the 24 year old reminds me of my first middle school debate. I didn't understand that you had to come up with different points along the way. I figured if I had one argument I believed in, I could just use it to rebut every point! LOL I didn't win.

I swore I would never watch it; the previews and what I read about it did not draw me in; and I hate 3D in general as it makes me sick - physically - but my wife and kid came home from the video store with it today and we watched it on Blu-ray tonight, and I was totally blown away by two things:

1) The visuals on my 106" 720p projector system were unbelievable. There is a new standard for my demo showing of my theater; it was stunning. Absolutely stunning. While not 3D, it felt like you could reach inside this film; it blew me away. No longer do I need Transformers as my demo. Avatar wins hands down.

2) While predictable, I really enjoyed the story - I wish the previews and descriptions of it could have convinced me to see it when it came out ; but really, I am totally content with having seen it in my man cave. The movie was very long, and that was one of the things that kept me away from the multiplex. Here we just hit pause and took a ten minute intermission.

The story does have elements of Pocohantas; and elements of Ewoks; and a little starship troopers; but for me the symbiotic nature of the trees was very much derivative of the great Orson Scott Card's sequel to Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, with the Pequinios.

But hell, Terry Brooks Shannara series is a rip off of LOTR, and I still like it; like the two Don's (dfergie and Don Landis) I thought the story was compelling and enjoyable.

I know what my next BD purchase will be. :)

Another prejudice gets to insert foot in mouth! :D

Doc Roc- Some day your family will get an ipad and you'll change your song there too! Just spend a half day with it, you'll see. Your Kindle will collect dust. :)

Another prejudice gets to insert foot in mouth! :D

Doc Roc- Some day your family will get an ipad and you'll change your song there too! Just spend a half day with it, you'll see. Your Kindle will collect dust. :)

Whatever.

Lets talk about prejudices. Your prejudices against the kindle astonish me. Guess you are not a shareholder in Amazon. :rolleyes:

I said very clearly before that the description of the story did not appeal to me, nor did the previews. Add that to the fact that I have never enjoyed ANYTHING in 3D, as it sometimes makes me sick; headache, occasional nausea, and I am totally fine with not having seen it in the theater, but on BD in 2D, the picture quality is stunning, and the story is enjoyable, predictable as it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)