Now that VOOM is dead, who will be your provider?

Might as well add a poll to your post to make it easier.

I never got the chance to go to voom, So I'm still with dish. I'm so glad I had a commitment to dish when I signed up, It has saved me so much trouble!

I'm going COMCAST and lease their HD-DVR (also a real one :D). After seeing the D* HD-TiVo fiasco, I would consider D* or E* only when/if they offer a lease option for a DVR and, of course, add more HD channels.

I am currently a man with no future provider. D* doesnt do HD anymore IMO at 1280x1080i. Everyone says dish SD sucks and Cox cable carries few of the local HD channels here.

vurbano said:
I am currently a man with no future provider. D* doesnt do HD anymore IMO at 1280x1080i. Everyone says dish SD sucks and Cox cable carries few of the local HD channels here.

If you went Dish you would get your locals the same way you do now.

madpoet said:
I can't see the D* or E* birds, so it has to be cable for me.

Which one, and do you know what they offer?

bruce said:
If you went Dish you would get your locals the same way you do now.
If I went D* id get them the same way I do now. If I go cable Ill have to get most of them with my old D* HD reciever. So whats your point?

vurbano said:
If I went D* id get them the same way I do now. If I go cable Ill have to get most of them with my old D* HD reciever. So whats your point?

Hey you said "Cox cable carries few of the local HD channels here.", and how the hell would I know if you had a "old D* HD reciever."

bruce said:
Hey you said "Cox cable carries few of the local HD channels here.", and how the hell would I know if you had a "old D* HD reciever."
lol, I was just pointing out that you have to get local HD OTA no matter what sat service you use. I do have a d* reciever but IMO they do NOT do HD anymore. by definition 1280x1080i is not HD. E* has not downrezzed yet but they need to prove that they have plans to add HD channels. The other caveat is that I am tired of purchasing equipment. So its a very hard decision for me.

I guess, cable for some transition period.
First, D* and E* already announced that their current HD recievers will be dead later this year after transition to MPEG4.
Second, they should prove that they will provide some HD content as Voom did, especially Stars HD, Cinemax HD, Encore HD, Universal HD, TNT HD, ...
Maybe, even pickup Rush HD, Monsters HD, RaveHD, WolrdSport HD.

Oh..., we will miss Voom very much.

Cable will be a good transition option: just make a break and see where to go after that.

A.

I've got Cox as well... get CBS, NBC, and Fox for locals as well as PBS, Discovery, HBO, Showtime, InHD1 and 2. The box is the 6412, with both tuners activated. But I really don't like it ;)

vurbano said:
lol, I was just pointing out that you have to get local HD OTA no matter what sat service you use. I do have a d* reciever but IMO they do NOT do HD anymore. by definition 1280x1080i is not HD. E* has not downrezzed yet but they need to prove that they have plans to add HD channels. The other caveat is that I am tired of purchasing equipment. So its a very hard decision for me.

You and I agree on a few things ( multicasting, bitrates ) and disagree on others ( OAR ) but the biggest thing we agree on is E* ( and D* ) need to add more HD channels but there really is not much content right now.
HBO shows the same movies on Max either before or after, same for Showtime and TMC, and Starz looks HD only half the time, that leaves InHD ( cable companies are holding that back ) and Universal-HD ( and people at AVS are complaining about repeats already) and then ESPN 2 ( more part time HD )
I don't think it's just E* needs more channels but the content providers need to step up so we want the channels.

If anything, I'll probably end up upgrading to digital cable if/when there is a promotion. (Unfortunately Comcast)

The only way I'll end up with Dish is if they give me two HD receivers, a free install, and the free month of Dish Everything that was already supposed to be credited to my account prior to cancelling. After everything Dish put me through when, they'd have to earn my business back.

I doubt I'll ever go D*.

I will truly miss Voom and all the HD programming. <sigh>

- jame

madpoet said:
I've got Cox as well... get CBS, NBC, and Fox for locals as well as PBS, Discovery, HBO, Showtime, InHD1 and 2. The box is the 6412, with both tuners activated. But I really don't like it ;)
I just find it ridiculous that if I go with Cox I still need to use a sat reciever to pick up some local HD. Why arent they smart enough to realize they are missing a lot of local HD and add an ATSC tuner?

vurbano said:
I just find it ridiculous that if I go with Cox I still need to use a sat reciever to pick up some local HD. Why arent they smart enough to realize they are missing a lot of local HD and add an ATSC tuner?

Thats about the only way I'll turn cox back on at my house. I'd rather have the OTA tuner vs. their HD package. I was happy to yank them out of my house last year after switching to DSL and VOOM. I love the HD so much, and VOOM's SD was great. Cox's digital cable is a joke and the PQ bites. I hope there is a viable alternative in sight, I don't want cox back.

Even with the troubles, I really enjoyed what VOOM was trying to do. Sad day, like someone else said its kinda like losing a friend that you were pulling for their survival.

vurbano said:

Just thought about that...

Its probably because adding an antenna and getting local channels OTA goes against what they are trying to do, rely on that magical coax from the street. Local OTA is like their only competition around here :D

I guess D* will be my only provider now. Having HD of Starz! and Max along with TNT was nice while it lasted.

A person of Charlie's ilk would never get a cent from me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts