Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Effective on Wednesday, April 27, 2011, by 5:00 PM ET, DISH Network will launch the Northwest Cable News channel (NWCN) into five local DMAs in the Northwest region at no additional cost.

Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Spokane, WA
Yakima-Pasco-Richland-Kennewick, WA
Bend, OR
Eugene, OR

Any hope this will start a trend? NECN a possibility? (New England Cable News)

Well, I think I answered my own question.
"Launched on March 2, 1992, NECN is owned by Comcast Corporation. NECN is available exclusively to New England cable subscribers, providing 24-hour access to breaking news, sports, weather, and traffic."

Last edited:
Since its owned by Belo and didnt Belo and Dish just have an issue when the contract came up for local channel renewal?

hmmmm.....

But its only the 2nd channel like this (that I know of) that Dish carries. The other is 360North in Alaska (use to be called Gavel to Gavel)

its not in HD. Dish uplinked it in SD

6566(2) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 16 Spotbeam 14 (Mkt:Bend, OR) (NA)
7188(2) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar14 119W TP 01 Spotbeam B2 (Mkt:Eugene, OR) (NA)
8625(2) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 12 Spotbeam 45 (Mkt:Seattle, WA) (NA)
9181(23) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 18 Spotbeam 40 (Mkt:Spokane, WA) (NA)
9375(3) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 12 Spotbeam 45 (Mkt:Yakima, WA) (NA)

I've seen the feed on C-Band...kinda a interesting channel

its not in HD. Dish uplinked it in SD

6566(2) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 16 Spotbeam 14 (Mkt:Bend, OR) (NA)
7188(2) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar14 119W TP 01 Spotbeam B2 (Mkt:Eugene, OR) (NA)
8625(2) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 12 Spotbeam 45 (Mkt:Seattle, WA) (NA)
9181(23) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 18 Spotbeam 40 (Mkt:Spokane, WA) (NA)
9375(3) - NWCN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 12 Spotbeam 45 (Mkt:Yakima, WA) (NA)

I've seen the feed on C-Band...kinda a interesting channel

Odd they could not find a little space on a beam that would cover multiple DMAs.

Seattle and Yakima are on same spotbeam
Spokane spotbeam doesnt reach any other market
Oregon spot covers most of the state but not far enough for Seattle

so I guess thats why

Effective on Wednesday, April 27, 2011, by 5:00 PM ET, DISH Network will launch the Northwest Cable News channel (NWCN) into five local DMAs in the Northwest region at no additional cost.

Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Spokane, WA
Yakima-Pasco-Richland-Kennewick, WA
Bend, OR
Eugene, OR

I used to watch it on cable when I lived in Vancouver, WA. It was about the only way to get Washington state news.

But why isn't the Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA DMA getting it?

KTVB is a Belo station but its weird as NWCN is a subchannel on that station
KTVB-DT3 is NWCN (DT2 is 24/7 weather/news)
Its not on OTA in the other markets

Any hope this will start a trend? NECN a possibility? (New England Cable News)

Well, I think I answered my own question.
"Launched on March 2, 1992, NECN is owned by Comcast Corporation. NECN is available exclusively to New England cable subscribers, providing 24-hour access to breaking news, sports, weather, and traffic."

Under the current regulations, any channel that is available to cable systems also has to be made available to other providers. So if Dish wants it, they have to make it available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts