Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
UNITED STATES v. WALTER J. BUCHHOLZ

Acting United States Attorney Kathleen M. Mehltretter announced that Walter J. Buchholz, 68, of Rumson Road in Amherst, New York, was sentenced today to 18 months imprisonment and was ordered by U.S. District Judge John T. Elfvin to make $308,000 in restitution to EchoStar Satellite L.L.C., which provides DISH Network™ direct-to-home satellite TV service.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul J. Campana said Buchholz pled guilty June 10th in Buffalo to mail fraud and violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), both felony charges. The guilty pleas and sentence followed investigations by the Cyber Crime Squads of the FBI offices in San Jose, California, and Buffalo, New York. A two-count indictment had been returned in San Jose on September 29, 2004, where Buchholz was charged with violating the DCMA and a federal statute prohibiting the unauthorized manufacture and distribution of Satellite access devices. Facing federal charges in Buffalo as well on account of the FBI’s investigation here, Buchholz elected to have the San Jose charges transferred to Buffalo and to plead guilty here to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act offense and to the mail fraud charge he faced in Buffalo for related conduct.

Both charges involved piracy of satellite TV programming offered by DISH Network to paying customers, and trafficking in the devices necessary to steal DISH Network’s satellite TV programming. According to Campana and Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Krotoski of the Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property Unit (CHIP) in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in San Jose, and as set forth in the plea agreements signed by the defendant, DISH Network offers entertainment and informational programming to homes and businesses on a subscription and pay-per-view basis. DISH Network electronically “scrambles” its satellite transmissions in order to prevent unauthorized viewing of its programming. The scrambled satellite signals are unscrambled by conditional access cards called “Smart Cards.” Counterfeit or unauthorized Smart Cards can enable users to steal and view the satellite programming without paying subscriber fees.

Buchholz admitted to manufacturing and distributing reprogrammed and unauthorized Smart Cards, which were used to steal EchoStar’s DISH Network satellite TV programming. As a result of trafficking in these devices, Buchholz unlawfully received approximately $308,000 from July 2002 through September 2004.

The guilty pleas resulted from investigations by the Cyber Squads of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in San Jose, California, and, in Buffalo, under the direction of Special Agent In-Charge Peter J. Ahearn and with the cooperation and support of EchoStar.

Attachments

• Buchholz sentencing.doc
    61 KB · Views: 639
Well he was probably retired at 68 anyways so it's probably no big deal for him to sit for 18 months in a white collar federal resort and get free room and board versus sitting on his butt at home

hell with 18 months...lets put in in a wrestling match :)

“The following contest is scheduled for one fall to a finish and it is a barbed wire electrified lightube match with a pool of rubbing alcohol and a pool of leeches at ringside”

Or one of my favorite matches…the balcony death match
“This is a balcony death match so pretty much ya gotta throw your opponent off that god damn balcony over there before you can pin them…any questions?”

I know……I watch waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much independent wrestling : )

BFG said:
Well he was probably retired at 68 anyways so it's probably no big deal for him to sit for 18 months in a white collar federal resort and get free room and board versus sitting on his butt at home

They will probably have free dish network programing at the federal resort :D

Bulldog said:
They will probably have free dish network programing at the federal resort :D

We have Dishnetwork at the Texas state prison I work at in Beaumont, but only on like 5 sat channels; Usa, Tnt, Espn , Tbs & Cnn.

Maybe they should make him watch 18 months of Charlie Chats, over and over...

I bet he'd never want to steal Dish Network programming again!

I think I got you and iceberg confused >_> I was joking that one of you might be the 62 year old dude o_O

*runs*

Foxbat said:
Maybe they should make him watch 18 months of Charlie Chats, over and over...

I bet he'd never want to steal Dish Network programming again!

Ha ha! You beat me to the joke.... I was JUST gonna post that!

Don't forget the hours of repeating "How to Program Your Remote" infomercials...

MikeD-C05 said:
We have Dishnetwork at the Texas state prison I work at in Beaumont, but only on like 5 sat channels; Usa, Tnt, Espn , Tbs & Cnn.

Lived there for 2 years in Beaumont. Damn I miss Novrosky's.

riffjim4069 said:
Ok, while I am certainly for capital punishment...I believe this qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment. :D

That's true. The world already sees us as torturers as it is. Might need to tone it down. Throw in a couple Tech Chats for variety....

Remotes

Dish 501/508/510 software version 304

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)