odd situation where 2nd sat cable is always bad but individually they're ok?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

saltlaker23

Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Utah
I have a DTV HDVR2 Tivo receiver hooked up to DirecTV, valid account and all that but I have the weirdest problem... if I run 1 cable from the LNB to either sat 1 or sat 2, it works fine. But if I run 2 cables, the sat 2 line is intermittent and doesn't work. I can swap cables 1 and 2 as single cables and they work fine, but when I put both in the DVR, the sat 2 signal gives me problems. I even tried this with a second HDVR2 receiver and the same thing happened. Anyone know what the problem is? I don't have a grounding block on the cables - they're going straight from the sat dish to the DVR. I can't figure out what's wrong.

I would say it sounds like a receiver problem if you can swap the cables and the problem remains on tuner two, however you say that you have tried two seperate receivers. Its possible both are bad i suppose. Depends how old they are, I would put in a service call and have guided mode run on the lines using an aim meter.

Are you actually having trouble where tuner 2 is not working, or are you just seeing an error on Sat 2 when you run a test ?

But I have the same problem with two different receivers. I thought it might be the receiver but what are the odds that it's both? Plus, if I switch the cables and just put one on sat 2 on any receiver, it works.

The problem I have is if both sat 1 and sat 2 are plugged into the receiver, sat 2 is intermittent with its signal... on the sat test I can see it go from 90+ to 0 then to 90+ again. when watching tv, it will freeze or get pixelated... but I can take the sat 2 cable and plug it into sat 1 and it's fine, the sat 1 or 2 cables if only one is plugged in work fine.. only when 2 plugged in is there a problem.

But I have the same problem with two different receivers. I thought it might be the receiver but what are the odds that it's both? Plus, if I switch the cables and just put one on sat 2 on any receiver, it works.

The problem I have is if both sat 1 and sat 2 are plugged into the receiver, sat 2 is intermittent with its signal... on the sat test I can see it go from 90+ to 0 then to 90+ again. when watching tv, it will freeze or get pixelated... but I can take the sat 2 cable and plug it into sat 1 and it's fine, the sat 1 or 2 cables if only one is plugged in work fine.. only when 2 plugged in is there a problem.

Don't know if this will fix anything, but it's worth a try ...
Connect both feeds and run a Repeat Sat Set Up, make sure when your going thru the process that the settings show Dual is set, vs 1 line in the settings where the Multi switch stuff is ...
I can't remember the exact terminology and I can't run mine to find it at the moment as I'm watching my football game.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thinking of switching

Fox in Kansas city

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)