Off Topic - Need help with DishPointer AR so hoppers will work

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
I already posted this to Satellite Guys - Dishpointer forum, but they are not as active as this forum and no response yet over there.

I can get sat 119 and 129 but no 110. I have moved across about a 45* swath. I found 110 once but lost 119 and 129. can not find all three at the same time.

I wish I was smart enough to be a rookie.
Just installed DP AR on my iPad 2 WiFi only.
DP keeps telling me to turn on location services, even though it is on. Update today it found "location services" and seemed to work almost as expected. I could see the three satellites (110, 119, 129) right on top of the windshield, sitting here in the drivers seat. Location services seem to come and go at random. They are usually gone when I need them most. I am in a remote area with poor cell service.

Want outside by the tripod dish, there were the 3 sats up above the trees. PROGRESS!!
Now when I moved next to the drivers window where I originally wanted to place the tripod, I could see the 3 sats right in the trees.
Now first question: why is the azimuths at a different angle (direction) at the drivers side of my motor home then at the right front?
Now for the dumb question: What part of the dish do I align with the azimuth angle, the LNB? the arm that holds the LNB? an imaginary line perpendicular to some point on the face of the dish?
Next dumb question: how do I determine the vertical angle to hold the iPad to best duplicate the dish for LOS obstructions? or does it even matter since the camera will show the trees and buildings and the sats will move with the iPad.

Please help become a seasoned expert like you folks.

That ap is not that accurate. It just gives you a general idea. You then need to point the dish.. Some magnetic inside the vehicle can move it just a little..

Location services is the cell tower equivalent of GPS. Most smartphones and tables use AGPS (Augmented GPS) chips which are chips that generate GPS function using signals from the cell towers, not satellites.

The Dishpointer App is only good for seeing whether there are tress in the way. The big problem with trying to aim the dish with the app is you can't get the phone into alignment with your dish for aiming. The DP App is also good for getting the Azimoth, Elevation and Skew settings.

The basic rules for aiming a dish if first get the tripod so that the mast is vertical using a level. A bubble level on the top is a good to use. Unless you are always on level ground, a tripod with adjustable length legs is the only sound way to get the mast vertical. The HD tripod from TV4RV.com is the best.

Next set the Skew into the dish before putting it on the dish onto the tripod.

Next set the Elevation of the dish.

Now the Azimuth. The arm does not point in the direction of the Azimuth because the dish is Skewed. The bracket at the back of the dish is a better reference for the Azimuth. Note the compass you use with be in error by Magnetic Deviation the closer you get to the dish. This is a function of where on the Earth you are and other major chunks of iron, like a motorhome. I have seen Deviations as high as +19 degrees on the compass and that is for a dish away from anything else. Remember the dish is metal and causes deflection of the magnetic lines of force, which is Deviation. If you stand back from the dish, the Deviation will be less but the alignment to the dish bracket will be less accurate. I usually start with the Azimuth set about 10 degrees higher. The TV4RV.com HD tripod has a built-in scale that helps if you are lock in on the wrong satellite (110, 129) by giving you an easy indication for the 9/10 degree correction you would need to make.

I find the key is to having the dish set to be receiving sat 119. If you are using a meter, the coax the meter is attached to needs to be using the sat 119 LNBF. You can set the receiver to be trying to access 119 by setting the Point Dish screen for all the tuners to 119. I use a meter than generates the signal for the multiswitch in the dish head to select the 119 LNBF to the coax with the meter.

The aluminum foil on the 110 and 129 LNBFs sounds good until you realize that if the coax you are monitoring is electronically attached to either of those to LNBFs. You get no signal no mater where you aim. If the 119 LNBF is attached to the cable your are monitoring, then you don't need the foil.

Once you have done the previous steps, you will be in the ball park. Swing the Azimuth for the best signal then tweak the Elevation. I have never had to change the Skew to get a better signal. I assume this is for a RV setup and not a permanent setup like a house where a slight tweak of the Skew might be warranted.

If you are going to setup a lot, then a good meter that selects the 119 LNBF is worth the investment. I used to use a Acutrac 22 Pro which could generate a 22 KHz tone and that tone selects the 119 LNBF. Currently I am using a First Strike FS-1.

Another tool that makes life easier is an Align-A-Site. Not cheap but it gives two functions that are very useful. There is a compass that is embedded in the the Align-A-Site that is attached to the rear of the dish. The compass is still affected by Deviation but the location of the compass is consistent and is easy to make corrections if necessary.

Another feature of the Align-A-Sight is a periscope aligned to the signal path of the dish so you can see if there are trees in the signal path of the 119 LNBF. The signal paths of the 110 LNBF is to the left os the periscope and the 129 LNBF is to the right. The 129 tends to need more consideration because the 129 LNBF signal path is also lower on the horizon and more likely to have blockeage. The Dishpointer App is easier to use if you know where the 119 LNBF is poining thru the periscope. You can move the DP App around to match that location and you can see where 110 and 129 are. Actually after a while, you can get an idea of any 110/119 blockage with the periscope without the DP App.

Last edited:
If you are getting 119/129 but not 110 you need to adjust your elevation up a little bit (maybe 2-3 degrees) and swing the dish slowly to the left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)