Official 622 L4.01 Discussion Thread

What you are seeing is the problems. They are limited to some receivers.. Not many people write things that say their receivers are working great.. From what I have seen most people like the update and are having few if any problems with it. My 622 has not had one glitch so far. And I love the new software..
That's a good sign.:)

I did notice on sunday that my fast forward moves jerky now like it is stopping and starting. This was during the nascar nextel cup. Also the picture and words were breaking up every so ofter. Not sure if it was the problem from fox, the station or from dish.

I did notice on sunday that my fast forward moves jerky now like it is stopping and starting. This was during the nascar nextel cup. Also the picture and words were breaking up every so ofter. Not sure if it was the problem from fox, the station or from dish.

I definately noticed that now with EACH button press (of ffw or rewind), it hangs for a half second before proceeding. if you quickly tap it 3 or 4 times, you'll see the pausing... I hate that.

sorry if i a am repeating a question covered on the previous 33 pages, but i dont have time at the moment to scan thru all of it.

Last Fri AM my wife turned on the TV to get the warning about HD being deleted, she followed previous instruction off odd warnings like that to unplug the box and reboot it. (Comcast had given that instruction with errors on our DVR when we were with them).

Everything is working fine, but my question is, when can i expect to get the update now that i "refused" it. Is there anything i can do, to expedite it?

Thanks!

Critical Update Message

I did not receive the 4.01 update last week but on Saturday night at 10:30 I received a message, one I've never seen before, that simply stated " Critical Update Needed - do you wish to continue?" Of course my wife was in control of the remote and promptly selected no. I did a manual update a few minutes later but didn't see any changes made and still have version 3.66.

My updates are set for 3:00 A.M. so not quite sure what this was. Could it have been an attempt to push out the 4.01 update?

Thanks for any input....

I have had this problem even before L4.01 on the 622. The problem has always existed on the SD map down too. If you have the 8000's locked you won't get a double digit SD local for a search result just like when you have the 6000's locked you don't get the double digit HD mapped channel for a search result.

When I read this I questioned it because I do have the locals locked like you said and never ran into a problem with search. But then I did a test and found out you are correct! I guess it never came up because for locals I usually know what I'm looking for and when it comes on and I just do a scan using the guide. Movies are different. I usually just do a search on movies using keyword (space) hd (space) to pull up all the available hd movies.

But you've got a valid point. This isn't a 4.01 issue, it's probably been that way a long time.

I ran through it all weekend and was very happy with it. In fact I must say I was impressed.

Last night I was watching the Discovery Channel and the Planet Earth Special started. I said "I want to watch this in HD" and was trying the figure out the channel number for the HD channel.

My wife said, just press channel up for the HD version, isnt that one of the new features of this software.

I felt like a dork, she was correct. :D

I do not have 401 yet so I am not sure how the HD mapdown works in the guide. But rather than locking out the channels you don't want, couldn't you set up a favorite lists guide with the channels you do want? Seems like it should work until Dish can do something about it if it is a bug but it might be a little time consuming

That's a good suggestion and I've done that. But it doesn't help with search turning up duplicates. The uneditable HD guide list is a real mess with all the duplicates now so I'm getting very little use out of it any more.

But now I'm thinking this really isn't a 4.01 bug. I never really noticed the problem until the 4.01 map down but it was there before 4.01 with locals. If it bothers more people now as a result of 4.01 it might be an incentive for dish to fix the problem but it isn't actually new with 4.01.

I spent several hours this weekend playing with the new release (not a beta tester - just one of the 'lucky' :rolleyes: ones). Here are my observations for the record.

1) Lost OTA - took several re-boots to get it back.
2) Unit started rebooting itself every few hours (previously I've had maybe 3 spontaneous reboots this year). This seems to be heat-related as placing a notebook cooler under the unit seems to have resolved the issue. Can software introduce a heat-related issue?
3) I am an admitted DVR nut - the kind that waits for a show to run 20 minutes before starting to watch just so I can skip through commercials. The new rewind and fast forward are horrible! I used to be able to watch shows in fast forward mode just dropping to regular speed when something of interest showed up. The new fast forward is jerky and difficult to control. I used to be able to fast forward past commercials, back up to the resume point of the show easily and accurately, now it's 'fwd, play, back, back, fwd, back, play, fwd, play, back...' just to get it to the right place. Very frustrating!

P.S. I would like to confirm that my reboots are heat-related can someone point me to the place I can read the internal temperature of the unit?

Thanks!
Jeff

As far as the temps, go to Menu, 6, 3 and then counters. Then hit page down a couple times (can't remember how many).

For the Fast forward/rewind, have you tried using the skip forward and skip back buttons. I used to use Tivo and it took me a bit of adjusting, but I wouldn't dream of using fast forward/rewind now. Give it a shot, I bet you'll like it.

I got in the beta bugs group.....

A few notes... nothing that impacted me heavily except one item that was present previously.....

First, the good..... I DON'T use OTA so I've been spared most of the headaches. HD mapdown worked great, other than Discovery HD and maybe a handful of others, which has different content than the SD channel, it works well. Easy to find, all my DVR recordings have a ghost like HD logo showing through the title list. Large HD logo also on the title bar at the top of the screen after a channel change. No issues with jumping forwards, backwards, or pausing. PIP works well as I have mine set for single mode, so no problem with the dual mode setting as I don't use it.

Played around with the HDMI button on the diagnostics screen, but mine wouldn't click, and it said "FALSE" on one of the lines, so my HDMI output is definitely dead. Once rerun season hits I'll swap it out for a refurb, using component outs until then..

A lot of the macroblocking I had has not returned. I don't know whether this was due to clearer skies, or more well behaved software.... will keep you all advised.

Now the only headache..... Since distants went away, I have to deal with multiple timer conflicts constantly. Sunday night is the worst. Desperate Housewives, Simpsons, Family Guy, Battlestar Galactica, L Word, Deal or No Deal, Surreal Life Fame game, and Gene Simmon's Family Jewels all jockeying for time and priority. BG and LWord go away for a while thankfully, but The Sopranos and Entourage are coming back as well..... Bottom line... the software is lousy at finding a way to juggle timer conflicts. Instead of adjusting the timers to eliminate the buffers before and after the shows like it used to, it uses the "automatically resolve by priority" function and just skips the shows where a conflict exists. I can manually go through and change the timer settings to eliminate the buffers SOMETIMES, but other times it keeps trying to skip the other shows in some cases. A suggestion, ... have the software search forward internally and look for repeats (common on HBO, Showtime, VH-1, A&E, etc.) and shift THOSE recordings to the later slots automatically. If it can't find a repeat showing, make it a priority and automatically bump something that can be easily bumped.

Otherwise, I am real happy. Watched a lot of shows this weekend since I was couchbound with Strep throat (cough cough).. Happy that the unit easily adjusted for the longer Battlestar Galactica episode without a hitch. Don't let the bug list scare you too much if you don't use the OTA tuner. Hope I didn't jinx myself there.....

I received a nice email from E* thanking me for replying to the L-4.01 test, I had mentioned that the only lip sync problem I still have is on TNT Hd, they stated that that problem was solved, and for me to let them know if I experienced this problem in the future.

Last edited:
I got an e-mail from "Bugs" at E*.

They thanked me and indicated that they have multiple reports that our Austin locals are better.

It sounds like they aren't just "tabulating" the reports, they are reading them!

Makes me feel like the time that I invested in testing was actually worth it.

In case someone is too lazy to click the link above:

3/26/2007: 1339 Software Version L4.01 for ViP 622 DVR
Effective Tuesday, March 27th, Engineering plans to spool a PARTIAL PHASE of software version L4.01 for the ViP622DVR receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.

At this time L3.66 and L4.01 will be the valid software versions for the ViP 622 DVR.

Software L401

Awoke to L4.01 this AM without incident. The timers are fine.

So far, all has been ok.

Ed....:)

Submitted my list of testing results and received a nice reply. Noticed no major bug other than the Caller ID while paused issue, but it isn't a show stopper for me.

Looks like it will continue to be deployed.

I received a nice email from E* thanking me for replying to the L-4.01 test, I had mentioned that the only lip sync problem I still have is on TNT Hd, they stated that that problem was solved, and for me to let them know if I experienced this problem in the future.

Solved? If you still have it, how can they say it's solved? (I have it as well still btw)... I wonder if TNT HD is ever going to STOP showing the stretchovision as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts