Official 622 L4.01 Discussion Thread

Cold Irons

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
Had 4.01 when I got home (kids said they saw the HD logo this morning, so came in over night). No problems so far - but haven't exercised everything yet. All the new features are working, watched a couple of shows recorded previously OK. The FF seems OK, but will have to play with that some more. I'll take a look at OTA after everyone else is done watching stuff this evening.

HD mapdown is something I've wanted & really like it. Also like the side-by-side PIP; will be nice to use without the PIP blocking the primary screen. Now if we can get USB storage & native res. pass-thru, we'll be good to go!

ripnbigc

Freeze Sucker!
Jan 11, 2006
Wichita, Ks
I got 4.01 overnight also. Didn't have time to check out much, but why is the guide shifted over to the left? The "H" in HD is almost totally missing. I Like the POP. Will check more tonight

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
I got it. The PIP is cool. But one problem with 4.01 that I noticed, is that it some how loosened the cable to my center speaker. I was watching House and I had to get up and shake the speaker a little to get sound. ;)

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
I am a beta tester. My second 622 is now updated to L4.01. Just started to play with it. There is a difference between to two. When I hit the guide button on the beta download , I cycle thru all 7 versions ,all channels, all subs, hd , list1-4. On the new download I get only 3. The lists1-4 are not cycled thru. I prefer that until I want to set some favorites.
Just found another difference. The beta version brought up a password screen to reach the weather channel interactive application. The newer download does not. On the beta version I am locked out of that application. I have never set a password on either receiver.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
My impression is a PQ loss on the Mpeg4 conversions... (not really software related but...)

REALLY??

I thought UHD looked incredible the other night on BSG.

But may be on my relatively small 34" CRT, I don't notice the imperfections as much as on your 70" behemoth. ;)

ripnbigc

Freeze Sucker!
Jan 11, 2006
Wichita, Ks
I thought the PQ on UHD looked great also. Haven't had time to play 4.01 much cause I just got it last night. I'm gonna check the PQ and see if I notice any other changes.

Cold Irons

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
Have had time to play around a little bit. The only problem on my 622 seems to be the FF. Like others, the FF (esp. 60x and 300x) display is very "jerky". Will be hard to use to find specific spots on a recording. Almost looks like it's not displaying as many frames/as often as before?

My 30 sec skip fwd and 10 sec skip back buttons are still AOK. Timed sections of video & they are still pretty exact. And, one skip fwd = 3 skip backs.

My OTA seems fine - in fact, WRC/NBC in DC seems to have a little stronger signal strength than usual-this is my weakest-normally around 70, now at 85. The EPG is not shifted left as some have seen.

So far (in my case), so good......

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I thought the pq had improved as well. It might be that Universal HD looks better since it is in real mpeg 4 now and has been since 3/21/07. I even thought that the sd looked better. IT might just be a placebo effect since we got the 401 update and the new pip etc.

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
Have had time to play around a little bit. The only problem on my 622 seems to be the FF. Like others, the FF (esp. 60x and 300x) display is very "jerky". Will be hard to use to find specific spots on a recording. Almost looks like it's not displaying as many frames/as often as before?

My 30 sec skip fwd and 10 sec skip back buttons are still AOK. Timed sections of video & they are still pretty exact. And, one skip fwd = 3 skip backs.

My OTA seems fine - in fact, WRC/NBC in DC seems to have a little stronger signal strength than usual-this is my weakest-normally around 70, now at 85. The EPG is not shifted left as some have seen.

So far (in my case), so good......

The FF jerkiness is weird. Almost like skipping forward by chapters on a DVD. It seems less noticable on the true mpeg4 channels.

Been looking for the OTA boost on my weakest channel and don't see it (usually hovers between 64-68) but all the other channels seem a few points higher.

As far as the EPG shift I think its just that they are putting info in a space that was blank before. I was able to adjust my monitor settings to compensate.

Last edited:

duggan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
MA
Had a weird experience with 4.01 last night.

I accidentally tuned to a OTA channel that I have to turn my antenna to receive and received the normal popup about No Signal. When I tried to tune to another channel, I just got a black screen. No matter what channel I went to, it was black. I hit the PIP button and I could watch a channel in the PIP block but it was partially covered by a black bar. When I tried to swap the PIP, it went back to black but I had sound this time. Then no matter what channel I tuned, the sound stayed on the channel that was on tuner 2.

The only way to get out of this funk was to front-panel reset.

tbone49

Feb 11, 2006
i was not in beta test but recieved update last wednesday. everything was o.k., but the last two days, twice this morning, my 622 has crapped out. the loud audio pop and then darkness. i did a soft re-boot and it would'nt even turn back on. after unplug it came back, but seemed to take longer than normal. thought i would add this to the mix and see anyone else has had this issue after one week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)