Official 922 Installation Problems Thread

The replacement receiver was delivered and installed this morning. You've got to hand it to Dish, I called them at 10 pm on a Saturday night told them of the problems I was having and they set me up for 8 am to noon on Sunday morning. I asked for "as early as possible" and the tech rang my bell at 8 am!

Unlike the first tech, the one that came this morning really didn't know anything about the 922. He never received any hands on training, and had just read up on it. I walked him through the set up and I'm up and running and back to normal. It's unfortunate that I had a problem and lost many of my transfered TV shows, but problems always happen with new electronics and especially hard drives. But you couldn't ask more from a provider to take care of the problem so quickly.

This time after the receiver was up and running, I put it into stand-by and didn't touch it for about five hours. After turning it on, I didn't have any of the initial problems that we all experienced and was successfully able to transfer several programs from my EHD onto the 922 and watch them without a problem.

Mine was installed at 9 am this morning. I'm going to let it sit until tomorrow morning and see if there are any more EHD transfer problems. The wife's prized programs are on the line...

Mine was installed at 9 am this morning. I'm going to let it sit until tomorrow morning and see if there are any more EHD transfer problems. The wife's prized programs are on the line...

You may want to wait longer than tomorrow before you transfer those programs. Some have reported loosing several programs after transferring. If they are your wife's prized programs, don't risk it. The problems will be solved eventually, but I would wait for a while before transferring. Do you have another VIP in your house that she can use in the meantime for the EHD? Even Scott has reported that he is waiting for a while to use the EHD.

You may want to wait longer than tomorrow before you transfer those programs. Some have reported loosing several programs after transferring. If they are your wife's prized programs, don't risk it. The problems will be solved eventually, but I would wait for a while before transferring. Do you have another VIP in your house that she can use in the meantime for the EHD? Even Scott has reported that he is waiting for a while to use the EHD.

Yep.. We decided to move the 622 to the bedroom. Going to transfer all back to the receiver to avoid the lost EHD progam bug. She did not like the 211 because all the 622,722,922 programs could not be transferred to it. 211 is history when the 922 problems are fixed.

I agree. Even after successfully transfering several programs to my replacement 922, several other recordings got corrupted during the transfer process. Don't mess with the wife's recordings until EHD gets working much better.

Questions on Installation

My purchased 922 arrives on Wednesday. It is replacing my 622 working fine with 1002. I have an EHD, but don't depend on it much. I am going to move 622 programs on to it today.

I want to make sure I don't have any headaches installing the receiver. Basically, I read do not use the remote until it is activated, don't try to move EHD programs until bugs are fixed, and leave the receiver in standby overnight. Don't program any timers until the next day.

Any other caveats I need to recognize? How long should the receiver be left idle before using? What is it doing besides downloading programming/firmware? Would it be ok to leave it idle at a sceondary location and then move it to it's intended location for immediate use? I have two 622's that are live and I could let it burn-in in my basement.

Thanks,

J.Vo

Not sure if this should go in this thread or a new one.

Just had my 922 installed.

Now my slingbox will no longer work.

Any ideas?

My purchased 922 arrives on Wednesday. It is replacing my 622 working fine with 1002. I have an EHD, but don't depend on it much. I am going to move 622 programs on to it today.

I want to make sure I don't have any headaches installing the receiver. Basically, I read do not use the remote until it is activated, don't try to move EHD programs until bugs are fixed, and leave the receiver in standby overnight. Don't program any timers until the next day.

Any other caveats I need to recognize? How long should the receiver be left idle before using? What is it doing besides downloading programming/firmware? Would it be ok to leave it idle at a secondary location and then move it to it's intended location for immediate use? I have two 622's that are live and I could let it burn-in in my basement.

Thanks,

J.Vo

I would add three more "do not's" to this list. Do not attempt EHD Transfer unless your 922 seems to be functioning properly. Do not try to transfer folders from your EHD, and do not attempt to transfer all your content off the EHD at once, only attempt to transfer one or two unimportant programs first before proceeding.

I would leave the 922 alone and in standby for at least a few hours, overnight would be the safest. On my replacement 922 I left it in stand-by for about six hours before playing with it and have had no problems other then not being able to transfer programs off the EHD that had failed to fully transfer the first time. Even though the 922 will download and install the current software during start up, during the initial time that you put the 922 in stand-by, I believe it uploads the channel and program logos, communicates with Dish's servers, fully populates the program guide info and builds a search database.

I don't think it would care which room you have it sitting in stand-by in as long as it's connected to the satellites and a broadband connection. After it sits overnight then you could safely move it to your primary location and doing so is a good idea and something I wish I would have done. But that's the price I had to pay for being one of the first customers to have a 922 installed. You on the other hand can learn from our mistakes and still be considered an early adopter of this great box. The key to this receiver's success is not to really use it when you first get it so putting it in a secondary location in your home and later moving it to your primary viewing room, is really a good idea. Good luck!

I had my 922 installed today. I received excellent service from Dish Network, as the techs were not contractors. Had only one problem with connection. It seems the website might have had issues during install, and we could not get a remote connection during install. The installers left after saying they would follow up later today to see if I figured it out. They checked back twice, but I had not luck. While I was trying to connect, I tried to check other settings. I changed my router setting from DHCP to static. Internet was still fine after this. DISH called again and sent out a supervisor. I figured out at this time that we needed to reset the router again to DHCP and BINGO it was up on-line. I really want to thank Dish Network for their excellent customer service. I do have a question, when I log on to my receiver on-line, I do not see any of my Sobongo (mydistantnetwork) stations, will I see these stations on-line?

Had my 922 installed yesterday. :) The tech was great, this was the 1st installation in this area so it was all new to him. Got everything up and going except remote viewing. He called Dish and we tried several things but no go, said it was a known problem and they were looking into it.
After reading these forums I knew certain things just took time.............before going to bed I checked again but no go on either my laptop or iPhone. (about 6 hours after install, still no VOD and the program guide was still populating). Got up this morning and everything works. :) Used the iPhone with both WiFi and 3GS with no problems.
I am going to wait to hook up EHD until I see no more problems being reported.
Thanks to all the posters who made this install painless, I already knew what to expect so didn't panic and was just patient and let it happen.

I posted this elsewhere, but thought it would be a good idea to also post it here to help others who experience a harddrive malfunction out of the box after installation.

Although many haven't had a problem with the basic DVR functions of the 922, my first two 922's, and other members have reported that they, have had problems with defective harddrives in their 922's. Most programs start out okay and either jump to live without the ability to rewind, end prematurely or have minutes or an hour or so of a gap missing in the middle. Pausing live TV works, but you can't rewind and when you hit play, it jumps to live. Some scheduled recordings are broken up into two or three program segments with minutes missing in between, which means that the receiver likely rebooted once or twice during the scheduled recording. Here's hoping that your 922 and my third one (which get delivered tomorrow) works like a charm! But if yours experiences problems like mine and other's have or you get many black screens and reboots, you too may have a defective harddrive in your 922, so call Dish or your installer right away and ask for a replacement. They have been great with getting me a receiver the next day, but without full EHD transfer capabilities, I keep losing my recorded programs each time I send a receiver back.

The problem I am having is I am trying to record 4 shows at the same time with the OTA tuner and the 4th shows as recording, but never records. It shows that the timer has started but nothing to record. I thought it was supposed to be able to do this

I am on receiver 2, it has started to show simular symtoms as receiver 1.

I did notice a trend and it is while recording a specific show/channel.

See my other post on this for more info.

The problem I am having is I am trying to record 4 shows at the same time with the OTA tuner and the 4th shows as recording, but never records. It shows that the timer has started but nothing to record. I thought it was supposed to be able to do this

Last night mine recorded all 4 shows that were scheduled to record at 9pm so yes it does work.

Adding OTA channels

There is no option to manually add an OTA channel. You must do a complete scan.:mad::rant::confused:

I hope they fix that.

Well, 922 #3 couldn't download the new software for the receiver, so they sent a tech with box #4. The third box could do a check switch but not download the new software. As box #4 is doing the same thing I now have the tech and two regional supervisors or managers here checking out the problem. They thought it's because I'm on Eastern Arc with a DP44 switch that is causing the problem. However when they take the DP44 switch out of the equation that didn't help. Now they are hooking up old box #2 again, the one that had hard drive and basic DVR function problems again, for now just so I could watch live TV and will bring box # 4 back to the shop to see if that box works back there. If it does work there, then they'll investigate my installation and they'll upgrade the software at the shop and bring me that receiver otherwise they'll grab another 922 off the shelf, download the software at the shop, test it and then bring it here to install it. Sounds like a plan, but the 922 rollout, at least for me hasn't been a smooth one.

Well, 922 #3 couldn't download the new software for the receiver, so they sent a tech with box #4. The third box could do a check switch but not download the new software. As box #4 is doing the same thing I now have the tech and two regional supervisors or managers here checking out the problem. They thought it's because I'm on Eastern Arc with a DP44 switch that is causing the problem. However when they take the DP44 switch out of the equation that didn't help. Now they are hooking up old box #2 again, the one that had hard drive and basic DVR function problems again, for now just so I could watch live TV and will bring box # 4 back to the shop to see if that box works back there. If it does work there, then they'll investigate my installation and they'll upgrade the software at the shop and bring me that receiver otherwise they'll grab another 922 off the shelf, download the software at the shop, test it and then bring it here to install it. Sounds like a plan, but the 922 rollout, at least for me hasn't been a smooth one.

My 922 would not work properly on port 1 of my DPP44 switch. I think it was the power inserter interfering. It works great on the other ports.

I was on port 2 and they eventually took the switch out of the equation. Maybe it was trying to upgrade to S103 and there was a problem with S103? Hence the jump for most of us from S102 to S104. When I woke up this morning S104 was on my old box and now the hard drive problems seemed to go away.

Just did a self install cannot get picture. signal strength is good.

Adding a receiver to HD Absolute Package

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)