OK, final Rcvr input

Well it was a VERY good suggestion to go to a local home theater shop to compare subs. My neighbor was going to shop for a quality sub. I tagged along, bringing one of my two KLH 10" subs to plug in there to compare. NOW I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN! :D

The shop mainly (just?) sells Paradigm speakers. He listened to the 10" (3100 for $500), the 12" (3200 for $700). Not wanting to spend over $500, but really preferring the 12", he just sat there listening a long time. The owner realized he was not going to sell either of theses to Tim, he pulled a new in box discontinued 12" from back room. It was not as clean or pronounced on the base drum (Tim is a drummer), so he paused longer. THEN the owner says he has a customer return on upgrade for $350 if he wants to hear it.

It was a 15" Paradigm Servo-15a (400 watts) . Holy cow! This was a whole different lever of quality sound. We both loved it. As Tim was finishing up his paper work, the owned mentioned he had another one as his 2nd sub in his home system, while he waited for the current model Paradigm 15" Signature to come in. He said he'd sell it for $350 as well! I was not looking to spend money, but this $1,500 msrp ($675- $750 used on line I've seen) seems too good to pass up. I will be getting this one. I am jazzed. I just love super deals on good quality stuff. :D

Anyone familiar with these Servo-15a subs? Any reason to take pause on this sub at $350?

If the unit is good shape, you better jump on it. Paradigm is a well respected brand. It's not everyday you get these kind of opportunities.

Ran auto setup and the 1909 is great. SQ is very good IMHO. Used the FAQ's on AVS and changed my speakers to small and 80hz, set the sup to 120hz. 1080p feed from the BD30 via HDMi looks top notch, HD audios are coming on as expected.

Oddly enough, through almost 5500 posts, you're the first to comment on my signature. It fits my personality, and sense of humor. Enjoy your toys!

Did you buy the Paradigm?

Oddly enough, through almost 5500 posts, you're the first to comment on my signature. It fits my personality, and sense of humor. Enjoy your toys!

Did you buy the Paradigm?

I am waiting for the HT store owner to bring it from his home to his shop so I can check it out. He said it had some scratches from his kids. I cannot imagine scratches stopping me from getting this Sub, even if I need to put a cloth or something on top of it. I had hoped he would bring it in today, but I just called and he is out fishing today. Fingers crossed for Friday now. ;)

I love your sig. line because it just seems so obvious. Most of us freely share our opinions, and sometimes like it is the gospel (not sayin' it isn't, mind you ;))

The finish on the top of my Velodyne is a little marred too, from years of stacking magazines and whatever on the top. I can't see it, so I don't care. A little furniture polish usually hides everything. My JBL is black, and the little ones have scratched the hell out of that one. A little black magic marker has helped my hide a lot of those scratches. I'm planning on replacing the JBL this year with another sub anyhow.

I'm going to butt in here and push for folks to buy really nice sound systems, even if they don't think they have particularly good hearing, or that it doesn't really matter much to them.

I finally upgraded my speakers to 7.1 Klipsch, and the Onkyo 805. And I don't think I have particularly good hearing (in fact, I know my hearing is a bit below average), and it really hasn't mattered much to me before. But now, finally, I can really tell the difference. Especially for BDs, but also just for a really good center speaker. MUCH clearer. And the sub! I've started buying SACDs and DVD-As again. In fact, tonight I might just lay back and LISTEN TO MUSIC!

After researching the Klipsch sub, I think Im going to put Klipsch fronts and a center on my list along with the DT's. Seems people like their subs, and LOVE their surround speakers.

These are Best Buy exclusives. I'm not sure the mains are a match for the center, based on the description on the Klipsch site.

Quite frankly, I think you could do better by heading over to Amazon. For example, for pretty much the same money, you can get a pair of RB-61 bookshelves with a better horn and a 6.5" hard cone woofer. Round that off with a RC-52 center with a pair of 6.5" drivers and a matched horn.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker-System-RB-61/dp/B000NGYLVK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230954573&sr=8-9]Amazon.com: Klipsch Bookshelf Loudspeaker System RB-61 - Pair (Black): Electronics[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Reference-RC-52-Channel-Speaker/dp/B000TDEME8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230954489&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Klipsch Reference Series RC-52 Center Channel Speaker: Electronics[/ame]

(actually, I'd probably bump the budget a bit to go to the RC-62. I think you can do better on price than Amazon at $479)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Reference-RC-62-Channel-Speaker/dp/B000TDENBU/ref=pd_cp_e_2?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000TDEME8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ACV6CJAVWQV1897HNQ8]Amazon.com: Klipsch Reference Series RC-62 Center Channel Speaker: Electronics[/ame]

Dang, and since its a cash purchase it does not matter where (get yearly bonus in April). Sweet, Ill start researching Klipsch fronts and centers now that the sub and rcvr quest is over.

I agree with Jay, except for the center. The RB61 and RC52 are a great match, The RC62 goes with the RB81's. They sound great with movies. I am not as impressed with them for music, though.

For 400 each the BG Radia Z series Z-5 are perfectly matched LCR's and produce some of the cleanest sound I have ever heard in a small speaker system. I have them in my bedroom.

S~

I'm going to butt in here and push for folks to buy really nice sound systems, even if they don't think they have particularly good hearing, or that it doesn't really matter much to them.

I finally upgraded my speakers to 7.1 Klipsch, and the Onkyo 805. And I don't think I have particularly good hearing (in fact, I know my hearing is a bit below average), and it really hasn't mattered much to me before. But now, finally, I can really tell the difference. Especially for BDs, but also just for a really good center speaker. MUCH clearer. And the sub! I've started buying SACDs and DVD-As again. In fact, tonight I might just lay back and LISTEN TO MUSIC!

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that. If your hearing is below average it makes a great argument for buying better speakers. A great widescreen is only half of the experience. A properly set up surround system will immerse you into the soundtrack, not to mention that it will remind you why you bought all those CD's, vinyl, etc... I sit back and listen to so much music, that TV is secondary. Funny how I've never seem to get bored with my favorite music, yet I hardly ever watch a DVD twice. People, sit back, and crank up some of your favorite music. Pour a glass of the beverage of choice and let the problems melt away. Nice post Navychop!

Thanks, just at amazon, the 3 are $800, not out of my planned budget anywho. All I watch is movies, so the music SQ issue is not a big deal for me.

Looks like I have a plan ;)

P W- Thanks. I did. First up was Dark Side of the Moon. My wife commented on how she was hearing things she'd never heard before in that album.

That Onkyo looks like a good deal too. Just know that they run quite hot but they are very popular.

I just wanted to answer this because the Onkyo is gaining quite the reputation for overheating. I bought one of those infrared imaging thermometers at the last woot off, mostly for autocross applications.

I decided to take a look at my 605 today. The kids had been watching cartoons for three hours, so I felt it was fully warmed up. The warmest corner of the Onkyo was the right rear, and I measured a temperature of 105 deg F. This was lower than my BluRay player and a lot lower than my Motorola DVR.

I think that a lot of this reputation is because people stuff the receiver into a closed space with little ventilation. My 605 is on an open shelf and has the recommended vantilation space on all sides.

I had my 605 in an enclosed center (slotted back, glass front) and it did get very warm to the touch. That being said, it never once shut off. I am amazed how cool the Denon is after 2.5 hours of having Dark Knight cranked up. Part of Denons rcvr longevity is prob due to the lower heat.

Thanks, just at amazon, the 3 are $800, not out of my planned budget anywho. All I watch is movies, so the music SQ issue is not a big deal for me.

Looks like I have a plan ;)

Those Polks you have for your Center, FR, FL are very nice. If I were you I'd purchase some surrounds before I would upgrade your 3.1 setup. You got all of these channels on this receiver and you're only experiencing half (3.1) of them. You need the whole surround experience, you don't know what your missing! ;) :D

I know, I've just moved and am in a rental home. Itll be a couple of years before we buy (just to make sure I dont move again), so Im gonna hold off on rears. Might as well get the fronts and center upgraded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts