Okay how does Direct tv rank in providing the major networks in HD??

lime4x4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Here is part of an email i got from direct tv asking about there hd lineup
"Thank you for writing. Currently, we have special permission from ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX to provide their national digital (HD) broadcasts in select areas of the country, at no additional charge" And i called to verify it and my area does indeed qualify for all the major networks in hd.
So how is direct tv able to do this and dish can't??? Or is it that dish just doesn't want to??

From seeing that you are in the NY DMA, it's because ALL 4 local nets in NY are owned by the networks themselves, of which D* has an arrangement to supply the NY or LA stations to these types of stations. (known as owned & operated) The ONLY 4 markets where ALL 4 major local network stations are O&O'd are NY, LA, Chicago & Philly.

Dish could do the same thing, but has choosen to ONLY carry CBS-HD - as too why; beats the hell out of me??? :confused: :confused:

Yes, I'm in Pgh area

And, if I went Direct I could get ABC, CBS and NBC but not Fox - because my local Fox is owned by Sinclair, and they won't give a waiver. Of course, with E* I used to get CBS only. With Adelphia, I get ABC, CBS, NBC, HD locals - not just network feeds. No Fox for the same friggin reason.

dishrich said:
From seeing that you are in the NY DMA, it's because ALL 4 local nets in NY are owned by the networks themselves, of which D* has an arrangement to supply the NY or LA stations to these types of stations. (known as owned & operated) The ONLY 4 markets where ALL 4 major local network stations are O&O'd are NY, LA, Chicago & Philly.

Dish could do the same thing, but has choosen to ONLY carry CBS-HD - as too why; beats the hell out of me??? :confused: :confused:

mathius8 said:
what if your in a digital white area?

There isn't any such thing yet. The FCC has yet to come up with the methodology to define them, even then it will probably be 2007 or 2008 before they become a reality.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
There isn't any such thing yet. The FCC has yet to come up with the methodology to define them, even then it will probably be 2007 or 2008 before they become a reality.

NightRyder

IMHO, the timetable for defining the "digital white area" is intended to take just long enough for most of the affiliates to get to full power digital. The inclusion of the wording in the bill was only intended as leverage to prod some of the holdouts.

Don't ask for proof but consider that the FCC could have released a preliminary "white area" list just as easily as they did the "sig viewed" list that just came out.In fact they could have used the current "grade B" signal area as a starting point for digital eligibility

If the FCC & congress had ever intended to help disenfranchised satellite viewers they would have declared that receiving analog LILs from satellite had nothing to do with digital qualification.

Once you clear away the smoke & mirrors there was never really anything in that bill to help us. In fact many of us lost ground.

waltinvt said:
Once you clear away the smoke & mirrors there was never really anything in that bill to help us. In fact many of us lost ground.

No doubt, the real losers in this mess have been rural subscribers. Screw the NAB and the FCC I am looking "North" for my solution.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
No doubt, the real losers in this mess have been rural subscribers. Screw the NAB and the FCC I am looking "North" for my solution.

NightRyder

Yea, I hear ya. What's ironic is I think a few rural area congress people actually were dupped into thinking they were doing us a favor. A lot of us thought this bill was going to help until the smoke cleared and we found out we were not only not going to get nat HD nets, but probably loose our analog nets to boot.

By the way, my first car was a '57 Chevy rag top. 283 hi performance. Wish I'd taken a picture of it when I had it but that was 41 years ago.

New 811 help needed....

Phantom 522 Recordings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)