Olympics and Mpeg4

Stats8

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 3, 2005
The winter Olympics from Torino are due to start the week of Feb. 10th.
I noted from another post the coverage will be mirrored on Universal HD.

I also saw posts that indicated Universal HD will start Feb. 1st, but only
in Mpeg4, a format only seen on new receivers that are not available to
90% of the HD subscribers by the time the Olympics start.

Will Dish Network show some grace and allow the Olympics to be show
in a format most subscribers can actually view?

Stats8 said:
The winter Olympics from Torino are due to start the week of Feb. 10th.
I noted from another post the coverage will be mirrored on Universal HD.
I also saw posts that indicated Universal HD will start Feb. 1st, but only
in Mpeg4, a format only seen on new receivers that are not available to
90% of the HD subscribers by the time the Olympics start.
Will Dish Network show some grace and allow the Olympics to be show
in a format most subscribers can actually view?

They will broadcast Olympics in HD for free to both Mpeg 2/4.
:)

According to Charlie on Charlie Chat, coverage will start on Feb 1, 24 hours per day in mpeg2. He noted beginning will be highlights from previous Olympics and there will no charge to existing customers. The last time they had this, blackout rules applied and most areas were denied access. So, mpeg4 is not a consideration, but you may not be able to view it on this particular channel (not sure which if will be at this point). Universal HD will probably not be blacked out as it would be considered a subscription channel. Of course anything NBC would be showing would be in HD if you can receive their signal OTA or are in one the markets lucky enough to be turned on by that time, with the right equipment. Hope this doesn't confuse you more.

Thanks for the info, that is great news:)

I cannot receive NBC HD OTA at my location, so the only
possibility was Universal HD.

Yeah but what is the olympic HD channel dish will be showing? Is it the live universal HD stuff, or is it a delay/highlight/replay show of all their HD stuff, I think it's the latter, so that means we'll still need the new receiver and package for universal HD

Scott Greczkowski said:
It will be shown on the HD Events Channel.

As far as I know UniversalHD will not have ANY Olympics coverage.

Wish I could remember where it was, but I thought I saw that Universal HD was going to carry a lion's share of the hockey games. If anyone can verify please do, as I can't remember where I read it.

Copied from the press release Ken H posted over at AVS:

UNIVERSAL HD
Since USA, MSNBC and CNBC, like most cable networks, do not have high definition platforms, Universal HD, NBC Universal's high definition cable network, will carry a live simulcast of much of the cable coverage, featuring Olympic hockey like it has never been seen before.

BFG said:
yes it will scott.
look at the schedule http://nbcolympics.com/tvlistings/
LIVE Hokcey for the most part!!!!

Well, I am sure hopeful that whatever is shown on the Events channel is indeed a mirror of what is shown on Universal HD. If I don't get hockey, but instead get a bunch of figure-skating crap I will be one unhappy camper! :mad:

Is there any chance we will be able to have the MPEG-4 receivers in time for the live Olympics hockey? The first hockey game is not until Feb. 15th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts