One Satellite for Feeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
Hello all I just need the best satellite for wild feeds on ku-band. I will get a motorized system in the future if I get the itch lol. I just got my system in the mail and all ready to install. What satellite is my best option right now for feeds and hobby stuff?

Basically if you had to point it somewhere for my use where would it go? Lol
Thanks

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You didnt say whether you had installed a KU system before or not? If not, I would start by focusing on a satellite that you can know there are channels visable all the time first.

State you equipment here so others can offer advice. Some receivers are made for 97W and default to that.

Looks like standard definition only box, so no S2 signals either. 72 is a good bird , should get 5-6full or almost fulltime channels there, but not so much in the wildfeed department. As suggested, start with a busy satellite with lots of signals like 97w, once you get the hang of aiming a dish, you can slowly work the dish/mount to the next satellite in the arc. Take a tv and power cords with receiver out to the dish, if you want to make aiming/learning it easier, can be tedious at first.

Last edited:
91W has a lot of feeds and also has a full-time transponder you can use for aiming. 85W has a lot of sports feeds this time of year.

Can't remember the last time I watched anything on 72W. That's a terrible choice for a novice. You want to get a lot of channels to work with so you can fiddle with your equipment and learn how it all goes while actually watching some TV. Feed hunting is for advanced users. That is to say it's not easy as it sounds. It's an acquired skill. It's not just looking but knowing when and where to look for what you want. It takes hours to blind scan the whole arc and your feed will be gone before you find it. I would put a dish on 97w and get familiar with your stuff and then start repointing to adjacent positions ie 95W or 99W 101W etc. When you get the hang of it you'll know where you want to go to continue your fun.

I will start on 97 as see how it goes with all the radio and tv channels it should be fun. I appreciate everyones help.i know a lot if channels come and go in that satellite so anything can happen.

It doesn't seem to be used as much for occasional stuff like some of the other satellites, once in a while. I almost never scan it because of the channel load it has.

What do you suggest turbosat for occasional feeds and regular programming instead of 97?

91 west seems pretty cool on lyngsat

If your interested in news feeds try 91 and 99. I have found Phila and NJ news feeds on 83. Best to scan between 4:30 and 5:00Pm for those breaking stories.

The problem is that some of the wildfeeds are now in DVB-S2 or in other formats your receiver might not be able to pick up. If it were only a question of which satellite had the most number and highest variety of feeds, I'd also say 91W.

97w rarely has any feeds always start out on that one or 101w that was my first satellite pentagon channel is best one to pick up. there is about 10 channels on that satellite that are really good to watch on 97w.

Dan Rose

I would start out on 83 west. You wont get a lot of feeds there, but you really don't have a feed hunting receiver either. RtV is there and it has steady power so at least you will be able to aim your dish.

What kind of dish are you working with? Minimum dish size would be 80CM.

I would start out on 83 west. You wont get a lot of feeds there, but you really don't have a feed hunting receiver either. RtV is there and it has steady power so at least you will be able to aim your dish.

What kind of dish are you working with? Minimum dish size would be 80CM.

His post number three....

I didn't realize I got a receiver not S2. Oh well I will throw it on 97 for a little and see what's up I appreciate everyone's help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)