Optical Audio Connections?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hfthomp

Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Hey guys, have a quick question for you, currently I have the Samsung, SIR-S4080R receiver. Now on the back it has a digital optical audio out jack. I recently purchased a new AV receiver and was wondering what the benefit of using an optical cable would be? Can my satellite/receiver get me dolby digital surround? Thanks in advance.

Yes it can. While most shows are just using PCM, movies on HBO and other networks tend to be in Dolby 5.1 or 2.0. It is quite nice. Even nicer is HDTV with 5.1 :)

I do not have the Samsung you have but if its anything like my philips and other stb's then you can go into the menu and turn on dolby digital.

As great as HDTV is visually, it is even more enhanced by Dolby 5.1. It's like taking your viewing to an even higher level. Most standard audio options are adequate, but once you sample a digital audio stream you will be hooked. I would say audio is at least 1/3 of the total experience.

I recently hooked my XBox up to my audio receiver and set it to a ProLogic II setting for video games and Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike is amazing. A helicopter will fly over from right front to left rear and the sound is synced up perfectly. Movies take even better advantage of this, but I was really surprised to notice this in a video game.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help with making DVD's...

Newbie question about baseball blackouts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts