Order D* HD Now or Wait Until "Fall"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmarketos

Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
Hi Folks,
I am a newbie here so I apologize for the very basic question I am about to ask (I did look through the forum and didn't really see anything directly related to this).

I am a current D* subscriber with the Tivo DVR. I am interested in upgrading to HDTV. I called D* and they told me that the new box for HD DVR (with Directv's interface, not TIVO) will be coming out in the "fall" and that if I wanted to record local channels in HD, then I should wait for that as they do not currently offer it on the current box here in Austin, TX (I understand I would need an OTA antenna, but couldn't you record local channels in HD if you had that)?

My question is, do you recommend I wait until "Fall" or should I go ahead and attempt to get the upgrade now for free through Retention? The CSR told me that local HD was coming here to Austin in September. I would appreciate the insight from those of you who know a lot more than me regarding D* HD with the DVR.

I am struggling with having to wait, but will if the technology is going to be better. Any ideas/thoughts on how much the new receivers will cost? Again, apologize for the basic question.

mmarketos said:
Hi Folks,
I am a newbie here so I apologize for the very basic question I am about to ask (I did look through the forum and didn't really see anything directly related to this).

I am a current D* subscriber with the Tivo DVR. I am interested in upgrading to HDTV. I called D* and they told me that the new box for HD DVR (with Directv's interface, not TIVO) will be coming out in the "fall" and that if I wanted to record local channels in HD, then I should wait for that as they do not currently offer it on the current box here in Austin, TX (I understand I would need an OTA antenna, but couldn't you record local channels in HD if you had that)?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I understand I would need an OTA antenna, but couldn't you record local channels in HD if you had that)?
Yes you can record HD with an OTA antenna if you have the HR10-250, (the current HD DVR) However your area will have locals thru D* in MPEG4 format soon and D* would like you to use them, that is your choice, personally, if you get your locals fine with a OTA antenna, why waste money and pay them to give them to you...
As for waiting or not, that is entirly up to you, I will wait because I want the newest technology they have , the current DVR is 2-3 years old now, so... I will wait....
=======================================================

My question is, do you recommend I wait until "Fall" or should I go ahead and attempt to get the upgrade now for free through Retention? The CSR told me that local HD was coming here to Austin in September. I would appreciate the insight from those of you who know a lot more than me regarding D* HD with the DVR.

I am struggling with having to wait, but will if the technology is going to be better. Any ideas/thoughts on how much the new receivers will cost? Again, apologize for the basic question.

Yes the technology will be better than what is currently available, but seeing it is brand new I would expect some bugs as well, no telling if they would be minor or not but they will work to fix them as they are uncovered

btw, no question is too basic , if you don't have an answer, thats what we are all here for, at least most of us have no problem trying to help

Jimbo

Last edited:
I was in the same boat. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to HD now instead of waiting. I can get most of the HD locals OTA so I should be good for quite awhile. I guess it depends if you can get local OTA. If not, might want to wait, if you can then might as well go for it. It will be awhile before having a Mpeg 4 DVR will be a requirement.

I think I am going to get HD installed now as I have heard that DTV will upgrade HD customers for free to the new technology. Has anyone confirmed this?

mmarketos said:
I think I am going to get HD installed now as I have heard that DTV will upgrade HD customers for free to the new technology. Has anyone confirmed this?

Depends on what kind of customer you are. How long have you been with D*, how much programing you buy, do you pay your bills on time, etc. Best thing to do is call and see what they tell you.

If you are sure you can get ota, you can't go wrong with the HDtivo for free/cheap. Unless of course you want the mpeg4 nationals they are purporting to deliver next year....but by then there should be a free /low cost swap out.

If you can't get OTA, i wouldn't get the HDtivo unless you like the HDpak they have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)