Ordered a motor - have questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smikolaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 8, 2006
Southern NH
Ok, I ordered the sg2100 motor. I tried my best to get everything straight in my head but don't think I have yet.

I am at latitude 42.863N longitude 71.515W. I figured out my true south satellite is AMC6 at 72W compass 192.5, elevation 40.5, lnbf +0.5

I have gone over the sg2100 easy install pdf and still am confused.

What numbers do I want to put where?
- mount motor and point to true south, best I can with my compass I guess.
- sat latitude on motor bracket to 42.86
- set declination on dish to??? 40.5 for AMC6?

Do I basically:
1. set my latitude on the motor then mount the dish
2. try to get a decent signal reading on AMC6 by moving the dish/motor as one unit side to side and by moving the elevation of the dish by the dish bracket?
3. Then clamp it down?

I'd like to have a plan before I climb on the roof.

Thanks again.

1) Basically you will set the latitude on the side of the motor and leave it alone.
2) The dish elevation bracket setting will start at the 23.5 degree mark (approximate ). That is 30 degrees minus the declination for your latitude. Once you see the markings on the bracket you will laugh at the idea of setting it with .01 degree accuracy. This is going to be your second adjustment point, after azimuth.

You've basically got the technique. I've found it much easier to do it on the ground on my deck with a tripod mount, that I can perfectly level. Then, when I'm on the roof, all I have to do is get the azimuth adjustment, the other angles are just fine.

Attachments

• Dish True South.jpg
    Dish True South.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 166
Thanks!

Thanks guys, I now have a plan, might not be a good one, but at least it is a plan :)

I'll let you know how I make out.

From my understanding the motor takes into account the skew? So after my lesson with G10R aiming I am just going to set the lnb back to 0...

This stuff gets addicting - problem with hobbies is by definition none of them are cheap!

Thanks guys, I now have a plan, might not be a good one, but at least it is a plan :)

I'll let you know how I make out.

From my understanding the motor takes into account the skew? So after my lesson with G10R aiming I am just going to set the lnb back to 0...

This stuff gets addicting - problem with hobbies is by definition none of them are cheap!
Correct that the motor turning the dish automatically skews the lnb appropriately. If you're like me, you'll spend more time playing with this stuff than watching TV.
:)

Once you get satellites, test all birds on the arc... it's possible that if one settings just a little off you'll get all to the east perfect and be off on some on the far west, etc. tweak, tweak, tweak til you are perfectly on the arc and getting as many satellites as possible. Do use USALS most of the time, but if you reach limits on USALS and are after something a few more degrees out, use 1.2 on these... I have to do that to get 30w

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts