Orico dual drive/cloning caddy for H3 EHD?

joewhite57

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Indiana
Has anyone here ever used one of the Orico dual drive caddy/cloners with success with EHD formatted drives? I’ve used an Orico single drive caddy with my H3 for many years with no problems. I’m thinking of upsizing my EHD and looking for something simpler than drive copying I’ve read about on this forum. My brain is getting to old and fuzzy to learn too many new tricks. Thx in advance.

Can you point us to an Amazon or other link to one? I use an Orico single drive enclosure for my 6TB drive and it works great. It also has spin down support.

If it helps search Orico dual caddy on Amazon.
I can't think of any logical reason for it as an EHD unless you want a duplicate drive which may not work (DRM). Just get a plain dual dock with two usb outputs.

I can't think of any logical reason for it as an EHD unless you want a duplicate drive which may not work (DRM). Just get a plain dual dock with two usb outputs.

Just looking for a simple dupe process to transfer EHD recordings to bigger cooler running drive. Current drive is a WD 2gb high end new shelf stock, sucker runs hot enough to poach an egg by nature and design. I’ve had low failure rates on WD’s as long I don’t push them past 5 years.

I went for it and ordered one. 40+ years working at Indiana University. Never once been afraid of updating/guinea pigging new software or updates.

Not sure what you will get from it. The EHD's are formatted with Linux ext3 format. You can't copy one drive to another unless both are exactly the same size or the partition map will be all gooned up. You might be able to use 2 different drives of different or the same sizes but it's never been tested with that model.

It all depends on the interface in the caddy. It's going to present both drives under the same USB 3 UUID instead of 2 drives each with their own UUIDs. But you can test it and let us know.

Normally these kind of dual caddys are used in PC's, Linux, or MAC's with higher level operating systems and not the custom interface and rudimentary support of ext3 of the Hopper.

I went for it and ordered one. 40+ years working at Indiana University. Never once been afraid of updating/guinea pigging new software or updates.
Don't open. Send back! (or better yet can cancel order if you can.). Waste of money! BTW, my wife used to work for IU. She hated the way they updated....anything!

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I doubt the disk clone device will work, even with two drives from the same manufacturer's lot. The cloned drive, when connected, will probably be detected as a new EHD that needs to be formatted before it will work with the Hopper 3.

AFAIK, the only way to copy an EHD is to first format the new drive with the receiver then using Linux, copy the folder that has the programs on it from the old drive to the new one. The name if the folder is DISHARC.

I don't know if that drive caddy has the ability to display the two drives as a RAID 1 device, but if it can it will give you some redundancy in the EHD system where if one drive fails, you can replace it with a good one and the RAID will clone the drive itself, restoring redundancy.
I don't think the individual drives can be read separately, only as a part of the raid device.

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts