OTA Connection

Sat Junkie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
WallyWorld CT
I had VOOM installed Last Tuesday and except for the installer showing up late, no big deal for me I was home all day a problem for most people that work days.
I already have a 10' C and Ku band Dish (self installed) E* an MPEG2 FTA receiver and an Integra 910s HD STB (receiving 8 OTA digital signals). I showed the installer where I wanted the dish setup and told him I wanted to use my OTA antenna a Winegard AP4800 UHF and Radio Shack VHF-UHF-FM boom antenna. He said no problem.
I showed him where to run the wiring for the dish to the VOOM box and it was probably his easiest install of the day. He set up the dish and it was getting a 98 signal. He called in and activated the receiver then told me that it would take at least an hour for the download and not to turn off or change the channels. Then he left. No problem.
After the hour was over and the receiver had rebooted I tried to watch my local CBS channel and got a screen that said it was off air and to try later knowing that wasn't right I checked the connections and everything was tight, then I looked in the box for any installation instructions that the installer left and found a Winegard model DP3020 Dual Sat Off-Air Combiner.
He had the OTA antenna plugged into the UHF connector on the VOOM box I said that must be the problem and hooked it up with the combiner. Then I got all my local channels but no satellite connection. I have an inline amplifier installed because I'm running over 200 feet of coaxial to my OTA antenna. would that be a problem with the VOOM receiver?
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, I also called VOOM and they are sending a tech next week but would like to solve the problem so I don't have to run 2 boxes to watch the football games this weekend.

Maybee?

Sat Junkie said:
I had VOOM installed Last Tuesday and except for the installer showing up late, no big deal for me I was home all day a problem for most people that work days.
I already have a 10' C and Ku band Dish (self installed) E* an MPEG2 FTA receiver and an Integra 910s HD STB (receiving 8 OTA digital signals). I showed the installer where I wanted the dish setup and told him I wanted to use my OTA antenna a Winegard AP4800 UHF and Radio Shack VHF-UHF-FM boom antenna. He said no problem.
I showed him where to run the wiring for the dish to the VOOM box and it was probably his easiest install of the day. He set up the dish and it was getting a 98 signal. He called in and activated the receiver then told me that it would take at least an hour for the download and not to turn off or change the channels. Then he left. No problem.
After the hour was over and the receiver had rebooted I tried to watch my local CBS channel and got a screen that said it was off air and to try later knowing that wasn't right I checked the connections and everything was tight, then I looked in the box for any installation instructions that the installer left and found a Winegard model DP3020 Dual Sat Off-Air Combiner.
He had the OTA antenna plugged into the UHF connector on the VOOM box I said that must be the problem and hooked it up with the combiner. Then I got all my local channels but no satellite connection. I have an inline amplifier installed because I'm running over 200 feet of coaxial to my OTA antenna. would that be a problem with the VOOM receiver?
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, I also called VOOM and they are sending a tech next week but would like to solve the problem so I don't have to run 2 boxes to watch the football games this weekend.
When the sat channels were working, was there a line to the sat port and a separate line to the UHF port? If so, remove the indoor diplexer, connect the original sat line back to the port with the sat pic, and the line that was connected to the UHF port, connect to the port next to the sat with the little pic of an antenna on it. That is where the OTA signal should go to see local channels. The little indoor diplexer that snaps on the back of the box is only needed if the signal was combined either outside or in the attic.

Thank you, taking the diplexor off seems to do the trick. Now I'm getting a 97% signal on the sat and 99% on the majority of my OTA channels with the worst coming in at 92%. :). I'll call the installer and cancel the service call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)