OTA for Hopper?

larrykenney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 16, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Does anyone know when they plan to add an OTA receiver to the Hopper? I would love to get one in place of my ViP 722, but I record several shows using the OTA tuner. When OTA is added, I'll get one, but not until then.

Larry
SF

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
Soon...

Here's the latest on when it will be out :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...egular-software-updates?p=3018994#post3018994

Here is the thread where many others ask the same question :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/278868-So-whos-NOT-getting-a-Hopper-due-to-lack-of-OTA/page107

I will tell you that the latest speculation is that the device is awaiting FCC approval. Therefore the waiting period is totally out of Dish's hand. Could be the end of this month, could be summer 2013. Your guess is as good as any...

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
larrykenney said:
Does anyone know when they plan to add an OTA receiver to the Hopper? I would love to get one in place of my ViP 722, but I record several shows using the OTA tuner. When OTA is added, I'll get one, but not until then.

Larry
SF

18 day countdown, starts... NOW!

satnewb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 9, 2011
New Baltimore, MI
We have a beta unit at the shop.....It took about 90 minutes to do the initial software download. It shows up on the tv viewing status screen as a 4th tuner, but it seems that only one tv can use that tuner. So either your hopper or 1 of your joeys is able to view ota at a given time.

lucky86

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 19, 2012
By the sea, in a land called Honalee
satnewb said:
We have a beta unit at the shop.....It took about 90 minutes to do the initial software download. It shows up on the tv viewing status screen as a 4th tuner, but it seems that only one tv can use that tuner. So either your hopper or 1 of your joeys is able to view ota at a given time.

What took 90 minutes? The Hopper sw download or some sort of OTA download?

satnewb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 9, 2011
New Baltimore, MI
It was a hopper that was sent specifically to set up the ota on and it had some beta s/w version it needed. It was the initial d/l that took the 90 minutes.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
If it is awaiting FCC approval then it would be showing up on the FCC site. Any finds?
Tried searching "dish", "dish network" and "dishnetwork" using status "All grants, dismissals, and denials" with no luck. If it's in-progress, maybe they (the FCC) doesn't show anything for competitive reasons, i.e. a competitor can find out about products.

The device may also be filed under the OEM's name, such as Broadcom. Good luck if someone wants to search filings by them !

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I did find a number of them for Echostar but no USB tuner.

Above, I mentioned confidentiality issues, and from some of the Echostar filings, the FCC does have a mechanism in place to protect companies but it appears that a filing will still appear, just that a lot of the info will be blocked (temporarily).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)