OTA HD stations

discreet29483

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Summerville, SC
I have the following set up. 2 Dishes
Dish 1 pointed at 61.5 bird wire runs to Dish2 500 which points at 110, 119 birds. 2 wires coming out of Dish 500 into house. Both Dishes have LBB's with built in switch.
If I add an outdoor OTA antenna for HD Locals, do I have to split both lines going into house with diplexers or can I use one that takes 2 Sat lines and 1 Antenna line like the Winegard DP-3020

I have the following set up. 2 Dishes
Dish 1 pointed at 61.5 bird wire runs to Dish2 500 which points at 110, 119 birds. 2 wires coming out of Dish 500 into house. Both Dishes have LBB's with built in switch.
If I add an outdoor OTA antenna for HD Locals, do I have to split both lines going into house with diplexers or can I use one that takes 2 Sat lines and 1 Antenna line like the Winegard DP-3020

Your best bet is to run a separate OTA coax into your house. Many of the OTA digital stations actually transmit on the UHF band even though they may have VHF channel identifiers. A diplexer tends to attenuate the higher UHF frequencies. If you have a really strong signal this is not a problem, but if your signal strength is marginal you may experience frequent signal loss and/or pixelation.

John

running seperate cables not an option. House is already prewired and at some point would have to join the signals together. Pixalation shouldn't be a problem since transmitters are 25 miles away and signals are strong

That didn't work. Seems the 2 lines coming off the dish one is the 61.5 sat and the other line is the 110, 119 sats. When I diplexed off 1 line I lost the 61.5 but had OTA and 110, 119 reception. So my original question will the Winegard DP-3020 work? It has 2 Sat In and 1 Antenna in with 2 lines out.

You're not making any sense, or you aren't describing your system accurately.

It sounds like you have a DishPro Plus on your 500 (one input for a third satellite, and two outputs for two receivers). In that case, each cable carries any of the three satellites. There isn't one cable for 61.5 and one for 110/119. How would one receiver receive signals from all three satellites in that case?

Make sure your diplexer can pass DC, and put it on one of the DPP outputs, as suggested before. I have basically the same setup with my Dish 1000 (except all the LNBs are mounted on a single dish) and the crappy diplexer I bought at Fry's works fine. I actually use it to pass the UHF output from my 622 back outside to the pre-wired cable that goes from what would be my cable TV service entrance to the master bedrooom (no HDTV in master bedroom yet).

Thanks Buddyboy....You are correct. After some crawling in the attic tracing the 2 wires into the house, it is 2 lines carrying all 3 sats. Problem solved. Now I will have to run a 3rd line for the OTA to the junction box in garage and can diplex the lines in there. Thanks for all your input

LaCie 500GB (Porsche) External HDD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)