Outside Antenna......

localclassictvfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Lafayette, Louisiana
I would like to know where I can buy an antenna to where I can get low power stations 75 miles away and UHF frequency channels and also would include the channels on the vhf from 105 miles out. Also about ones you can catch 150 to 200 miles away

Post up your TV Fool report like Fat Air suggested and what channels from the report that you want to get and then everyone can answer much better as to what antenna to use, or if it's even feasible. 75 miles for LP stations, 150 for VHF and 150 to 200 miles for others, those are some long, long distances for antennas. A lot will depend on the terrain in your area.

When you do your TV Fool report, use your EXACT address and antenna height, not just your zip, with distances that far it can make a huge difference!

Good Luck! Check out tvfool.com to see what's what in your area. Maybe post your report here for comment.
KATC, KLFY, KXKW, KLWB, TV6, KLPB, KAGN are in the green. KPLC and KALB are between the green and yellow. WVLA, KAJN, K39JV, KLAF are in the yellow and can get them except the 46 as of Tuesday. The ones in the red are pretty much the baton rouge conglomerate outside the Nexstar Statuonsions except for 1. WAFB, WBRZ, WGMB are in the red amd can get them good except for WAFB. What i may need is an new stronger reach antenna and those gold 5 foot rca antenna masts raise it to 25 I'll be good.

It is an effort to receive normal power stations from 75 miles away, low power stations it would be a very difficult endeavor.

You need, first and foremost elevation (UHF signals do not bend well over the horizon, so you need to be as near to line-of-sight as you can be), secondly you need a VERY large antenna or reflector and third you need a very low noise per-amplifier.

Then you might get intermittent reception.

For reliable reception digital signals are more apt to be reliable only within 60-70miles with extreme effort.

If you could post your TVFool report it would help us evaluate the situation.

Radar-All.png

To me, it seems you're doing very well with the antenna 20 ft AGL. Want to get more, raise it to 100 ft,
Well just under. Structures over 100 ft need FAA 'clearance' and registration with the FCC.
But doesn't look to be adding any networks you already get, Just the local news from another area.
LP - in my experience you're limited to around 30 miles
Stations more than 75 miles, you need height (may also be beneficial for LP stations)
Also co-channel and adjacent, and their relative directions, has to be included in determining if you have a chance of getting them.
Whoops, looks like you want an antenna suggestion. - - - me bad
Do you require the VHF Low channels? You'd need one including that band VHF Lo/Hi & UHF.
Winegard HD8200U Channel Master CM3020 or similar.
If not, Just VHF Hi & UHF Winegard HD8200U or HD7698P Antennacraft HBU 44 or 55
If just UHF, just about any of the 4 bay bowtie's should do.

Last edited:
What are you using for a antenna now, any pre-amp? Looks like the further out channels you're interested in getting better are between 83 and 107 degrees, maybe a rotor to point more precisely at each station would help, if you don't already have one?

KATC, KLFY, KXKW, KLWB, TV6, KLPB, KAGN are in the green. KPLC and KALB are between the green and yellow. WVLA, KAJN, K39JV, KLAF are in the yellow and can get them except the 46 as of Tuesday. The ones in the red are pretty much the baton rouge conglomerate outside the Nexstar Statuonsions except for 1. WAFB, WBRZ, WGMB are in the red amd can get them good except for WAFB. What i may need is an new stronger reach antenna and those gold 5 foot rca antenna masts raise it to 25 I'll be good.

None of these are 75 or more miles away? If you want to get any of the channels in grey, those that are labeled Tropo would be very hard, if at all possible, to receive, I'd think it unlikely that you'd get those. You could try running the report at different antenna heights and see if it improves, if any of those channels change from Tropo at a higher hieght, then maybe you might get them at that new height. All the others besides the Tropo ones in the report you'd have a good chance of getting but you would probably need a rotor cause they're not all in the same direction.

What are you using for a antenna now, any pre-amp? Looks like the further out channels you're interested in getting better are between 83 and 107 degrees, maybe a rotor to point more precisely at each station would help, if you don't already have one?

None of these are 75 or more miles away? If you want to get any of the channels in grey, those that are labeled Tropo would be very hard, if at all possible, to receive, I'd think it unlikely that you'd get those. You could try running the report at different antenna heights and see if it improves, if any of those channels change from Tropo at a higher hieght, then maybe you might get them at that new height. All the others besides the Tropo ones in the report you'd have a good chance of getting but you would probably need a rotor cause they're not all in the same direction.
I have an rca from walmart paid 65 for. It said on the box good for 40 miles but i can get wbrz and wvla and kalb good. My former residence which was right in Lafayette parish I could get 27 channels always. No i have no rotor or preamp. I have it pointed between 83° and 107° and I did see one with the 4 bowties 4 circular devices and another one which is a little longer than mine on the internet.

To me, it seems you're doing very well with the antenna 20 ft AGL. Want to get more, raise it to 100 ft,
Well just under. Structures over 100 ft need FAA 'clearance' and registration with the FCC.
But doesn't look to be adding any networks you already get, Just the local news from another area.
Stations more than 75 miles, you need height (may also be beneficial for LP stations)
Also co-channel and adjacent, and their relative directions, has to be included in determining if you have a chance of getting them.
Do you require the VHF Low channels? You'd need one including that band VHF Lo/Hi & UHF.

Yes 4 out those 5 or 6 i can definitely use. I bet with one of those I could get a new orleans one all the time.

I dropped my antenna about 10 feet and can still catch just about all i was gett j ng before. I will buy that winguard 8200 and keep it the same height i will be good. If i keep it where i had it because the antenna might be too heavy and bend the mast and fall, Again thanks for your help

I dropped my antenna about 10 feet and can still catch just about all i was gett j ng before. I will buy that winguard 8200 and keep it the same height i will be good. If i keep it where i had it because the antenna might be too heavy and bend the mast and fall, Again thanks for your help
Height can make a difference. I remember in my house it was "higher is better" but when I lived in my apartment I needed the antenna 5 feet up from the ground. Higher screwed up the signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts