Pac-12 Network

Could us old farts possibly get a cut rate for the Pac-8 network? :D

Bandwidth aside, why not have the Pac-12 main channel as part of the sports package and the whole slew of channels as a separate package?

lmao who you calling old :D lol :) i remember the pac-8 big 8 etc :)

But, do you remember the Pacific Coast Conference? ;)

Does the oksate.com site stream all the OSU football games live if you have a Premium membership? Looks like it's $10 a month, but it would be worth $10 for just one game that I can't otherwise get. Of course, I'd have to go to my business (in a different town than I live in) to watch it. No broadband for me at home in the sticks. :(

DishNet adding the PAC-12 channel by game time would still be my best solution.

Cheers

But, do you remember the Pacific Coast Conference? ;)

I can still remember the ACC.:D Don't have to keep up with all those name changes. I do also recall the SWC that was before there was a Big 8-12.

I can still remember the ACC.:D Don't have to keep up with all those name changes. I do also recall the SWC that was before there was a Big 8-12.

Big 12 started out as the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Conference and then split into 2 conferences the MVIAA known as the Big 6 and the Missouri Valley Conference. The Big 6 then became the Big 7 before it became the Big 8 and Big 12.

I have no idea why I know and remember these things. :eek:

Does the oksate.com site stream all the OSU football games live if you have a Premium membership? Looks like it's $10 a month, but it would be worth $10 for just one game that I can't otherwise get. Of course, I'd have to go to my business (in a different town than I live in) to watch it. No broadband for me at home in the sticks. :(

DishNet adding the PAC-12 channel by game time would still be my best solution.

Cheers

I really don't know. I never used it for football games. I just used it to watch some of my niece's soccer games.

Week 2 for PAC 12 and DISH seeming unlikely according to the latest at SB nation: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/9/7/3300487/pac-12-networks-dish-uverse

Interesting though how much of the talk is now making it seem as if DISH is more likely than DirecTV to get it first.

BTW - I checked the Oceanic Time Warner cable channel lineup and they added the main PAC 12 channel and all the PAC 12 regionals to their sports pack- and they list that pack at $5.95

Thing is, to get close to the same channel selection that I have now with DISH would cost about $50/mo. more

http://blog.pac-12.com/why-oklahoma-fans-cant-see-pac-12-networks/

Statement from Pac-12 re: Okla St and AZ broadcast:

We’re hearing from fans in and around Oklahoma ahead of tomorrow’s Oklahoma State-Arizona game who are disappointed to learn that TV providers there won’t be carrying the game.
We share fans’ passion about this weekend’s game and want as many of you to see the matchup as possible. Each of our affiliate partners, including Cox and Suddenlink, has the ability to offer Pac-12 Networks to their subscribers nationwide. With Cox in particular, we have advocated for months for them to carry Pac-12 Networks in the region. There are no restrictions on our end to make it happen.
The decision to not offer Pac-12 Networks in Oklahoma has been made by the providers, and we recommend you contact Cox and Suddenlink directly to tell them you want Pac-12 Networks.

http://blog.pac-12.com/why-oklahoma-fans-cant-see-pac-12-networks/

Statement from Pac-12 re: Okla St and AZ broadcast:

We’re hearing from fans in and around Oklahoma ahead of tomorrow’s Oklahoma State-Arizona game who are disappointed to learn that TV providers there won’t be carrying the game.
We share fans’ passion about this weekend’s game and want as many of you to see the matchup as possible. Each of our affiliate partners, including Cox and Suddenlink, has the ability to offer Pac-12 Networks to their subscribers nationwide. With Cox in particular, we have advocated for months for them to carry Pac-12 Networks in the region. There are no restrictions on our end to make it happen.
The decision to not offer Pac-12 Networks in Oklahoma has been made by the providers, and we recommend you contact Cox and Suddenlink directly to tell them you want Pac-12 Networks.

That's just the Pac 12 saying they should have paid us more and carried our networks nationwide, instead of just in the areas where most people will watch. The Pac 12 should have made some agreements to get these games shown locally in the markets of the visiting teams.

That's just the Pac 12 saying they should have paid us more and carried our networks nationwide, instead of just in the areas where most people will watch. The Pac 12 should have made some agreements to get these games shown locally in the markets of the visiting teams.

Yep totally agree.If they wanted everyone to see the games this weekend they could make it happen.

Seeing more backlash against the Pac12 on their facebook page for not getting deals done, than against Dish/Directv

Well, they truly are the GREEDY ones that created this situation. HAD to have their own network (networks!, for cryin out loud), so they could get all the dough to themselves and cut out the middlemen networks............

Probably true, but it puts the ball back in the Cox's court. The Pac-12 isn't trying to get into the pay per view business. They are trying to grow the brand. It also helps their cause for the "there's no demand" issue. Sounds like there is demand right now.

Raleigh NC won't get to see Duke play Stanford either.

Well, they truly are the GREEDY ones that created this situation. HAD to have their own network (networks!, for cryin out loud), so they could get all the dough to themselves and cut out the middlemen networks............

I agree, but it's one of the first times, I've actually seen the viewers start to see the light

Probably true, but it puts the ball back in the Cox's court. The Pac-12 isn't trying to get into the pay per view business. They are trying to grow the brand. It also helps their cause for the "there's no demand" issue. Sounds like there is demand right now.

Raleigh NC won't get to see Duke play Stanford either.

There is not demand for the networks outside of the Pac 12 territory, there is demand for the occasional game by out of conference opponents. I didn't say PPV, I said they should have worked out a deal for local markets, that is they should have sold the rights to one of the local affiliates to show the game, that would bring in more revenue than a PPV broadcast.

Again, bringing in revenue for a one time broadcast is not what they are trying to do - I'm just the messenger here, btw - they have a long-term plan/strategy/hope/prayer that over time, they can generate demand to have full time nationwide access. They really think they can do it - and maybe they can. Like Dish and DirecTV, they probably don't care about the short term consequences of not having it available. Cost of doing business, so to speak.

I had to have Comcast installed (yesterday) to get the channel. When Dish and /or DirecTV carry it, its a new ballgame for cable.

They can hope and pray all they want. The fact is still just like the Big 10, the vast majority of any potential viewers will be in their home territory. I would bet that most people outside Big 10 territory add multisport just during football season or if their team is playing a Big 10 team, then drop it. So the revenue stream would be very close to the same as offering the games to opposing teams home markets on a game by game basis.

The only thing they are generating is bad sentiment among non Pac 12 fans

Getting Close

It seems we need to contact DISH again...

I missed this article yesterday. It basically states that DISH and PAC12 are very close - BUT - DISH is saying there's not enough interest yet.

The article mentions that those who want PAC 12 networks should contact DISH - even if we already contacted them and expressed our interest.

The article is at: http://www.pacifictakes.com/2012/9/6/3298819/pac-12-network-dish

=====
Once again, I checked the PAC12 net availability and pricing from our cable company and relayed that to DISH as well.

Our cable company provides ALL the channels in their sports pass package (equivalent to multi-sport from DISH) for $5.95/mo.
Bummer thing is that their website seems to indicate the main channel is HD and all the regionals are SD:http://www.oceanic.com/

Last edited:
ttomni6 said:
It seems we need to contact DISH again...

I missed this article yesterday. It basically states that DISH and PAC12 are very close - BUT - DISH is saying there's not enough interest yet.

The article mentions that those who want PAC 12 networks should contact DISH - even if we already contacted them and expressed our interest.

The article is at: http://www.pacifictakes.com/2012/9/6/3298819/pac-12-network-dish

=====
Once again, I checked the PAC12 net availability and pricing from our cable company and relayed that to DISH as well.

Our cable company provides ALL the channels in their sports pass package (equivalent to multi-sport from DISH) for $5.95/mo.
Bummer thing is that their website seems to indicate the main channel is HD and all the regionals are SD:http://www.oceanic.com/

Our local cable company has the "Pac-12 Package". You can only get it if you are signed up for digital cable and it is $7.99 / month (here in the southeastern U.S.). The main channel is listed as HD while the regionals are listed as SD.

Victory!

http://blog.pac-12.com/dish-networks-and-pac-12-reach-deal/

Plenty of high-fives around here with the news that Pac-12 Networks will be available nationally via DISH Network. Our agreement with DISH ensures Pac-12 fans across the country – no matter where they live – have an option for watching their favorite schools and teams. The signal launches in time for Saturday’s six-game football feast.
We asked for your help carrying our negotiations with DISH across the goal line – you responded, and DISH listened. Now Pac-12 Networks is available through more than 40 television providers, including four of the top five largest distributors in the United States. We couldn’t have done this without you. High-five headed your way too.
There’s plenty of work still to do of course. But there’s a celebratory air here at HQ. At Pac-12 Digital, our idea of a good time is a screen full of social media. Here are tweets from you all regarding this news; we’ve already anticipated several frequently asked questions and will be on the lookout for more.