Panasonic Cranks Out 2,300-Watt Audio System

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
This thing is wild looking, bet it would be a blast in the back yard for a cookout or pool party.

Panasonic-SCMAX650-large.jpg

If you’re wondering where the party’s at this summer, just follow the sound. The yard with Panasonic‘s new SC-MAX650 Extra-Large Audio System should be heard from a distance.

The new audio system can crank up to 2,300 watts of sound—and promises to do that with no distortion. Designed to be the ultimate party accessory, the SC-MAX650 has four-way floor-standing speakers, with 15- and 7.88-inch “super woofers,” as well as a 4-inch woofer and a 2.38-inch tweeter.

Link

2300 watts, huh ? That's up in the range, or higher, than dedicated power amplifiers can output. Who wants to bet that they are adding together the output rating of EACH speaker (and I mean the four woofers, two mids, and two tweeters) ?

I have no doubt its overrated, but Panasonic makes good stuff. I remember when HTiB's looked all flashy like these things 10 years ago, so of them really sounded nice from things like JBL.

Like I said, if I had a pool or large deck, Id look at setting this thing up if it had good sound. I like how flashy it is.

If their ratings for this are like their other systems, they are at 4 or 5 Ohms, with 10% THD, and only at 1 KHz, not full-range. I would guess the " real world " output would be no more than 300 watts RMS x 2 for the tweets, mid, mid-woofer and 200 to 300 watts RMS for each of those 15" subs. Certainly doable with Class D power but, for $1200, a system with more fidelity can be had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts