Pay to "lease" a DVR?!? And a few other rookie questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Terp

Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
It's been a LONG time since I subscribed to Direct TV. I am going to sign-up for the NFLST deal going on and have a few questions.

1.) I would use the $99 instant "rebate" to get the HD receiver for free; they expect me to pay $99 in addition to $5.99/month to lease a DVR? That's crazy, to me. I could see the extra coin for the HD DVR upgrade lease, but an SD DVR for $99? Is there any way to get them to comp me on this?

2.) I am going to keep Dish network for the German channels. If I get local HD channels through DTV, would I need an additional dish? I am hoping they can give me everything through one dish. Also, will they install a duplexer or splitter (I don't know the jargon, so please excuse my ignorant first post :eek: ) that would have a spare coax connector I could slave my Dish network dish to? I would like to keep it all on one coax coming in the house...

3.) If I pee and moan about the $99 "super fan" cost, would they waive for a new customer? I can't believe (well, I guess I can) they are raping us for another $99 to get HD. And you also have to subscribe to the HD package for the 4-5 channels @ $9.95/month to get this?

4.) Will they require me to sign up for 2 years? I am hoping only a year, but will read the fine print on the current promotion now...

5.) A friend gave me a referral code, so he'll get $100...do they, like Dish Network, offer some more perks to the customer as part of the referral? ..Like a free damn DVR?!!!! : )

Man, I am ready for some football!!!!! The first Sunday of the season is always like X-Mas...

Terp said:
It's been a LONG time since I subscribed to Direct TV. I am going to sign-up for the NFLST deal going on and have a few questions.

1.) I would use the $99 instant "rebate" to get the HD receiver for free; they expect me to pay $99 in addition to $5.99/month to lease a DVR? That's crazy, to me. I could see the extra coin for the HD DVR upgrade lease, but an SD DVR for $99? Is there any way to get them to comp me on this?
The DVR has a rebate also I believe. http://www.valueelectronics.com/directivo DVR.htm
Terp said:
2.) I am going to keep Dish network for the German channels. If I get local HD channels through DTV, would I need an additional dish? I am hoping they can give me everything through one dish. Also, will they install a duplexer or splitter (I don't know the jargon, so please excuse my ignorant first post :eek: ) that would have a spare coax connector I could slave my Dish network dish to? I would like to keep it all on one coax coming in the house...[
You will need a whole new dish, but you cannot do it with one cable.
Terp said:
3.) If I pee and moan about the $99 "super fan" cost, would they waive for a new customer? I can't believe (well, I guess I can) they are raping us for another $99 to get HD. And you also have to subscribe to the HD package for the 4-5 channels @ $9.95/month to get this?
More than likely no.
Terp said:
4.) Will they require me to sign up for 2 years? I am hoping only a year, but will read the fine print on the current promotion now...[
2 years on DVR's and HD's
Terp said:
5.) A friend gave me a referral code, so he'll get $100...do they, like Dish Network, offer some more perks to the customer as part of the referral? ..Like a free damn DVR?!!!! : )

Man, I am ready for some football!!!!! The first Sunday of the season is always like X-Mas...
Some company's do offer referral fees.

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply, Tate. Yes, the HD receiver and the DVR both have rebates, but when I add both to the order, only one takes; the fine print says one rebate per customer. If I use it for the DVR, order the HD package and the Super Fan, could I call them in a week and say I need to HD receiver, otherwise, I can't get the HD service I am paying for?

As it stands, I would have to come out of pocket for $100 to lease one or the other...only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger.

So for local HDs, I'll need another dish? I hate to have the balcony looking like a satellite farm, but the wife wants to keep her German TV...wondering if I should jsut stick with OTA for the local programs...live really close and get quite a few. Any benefits to getting the DTV dish required for these?

Thanks again, sir. Much appreciated.

You will need 1 dish for Dish & 1 dish for DTV. The 1 DTV dish will give you all you locals as well as any other channels you order.

chazcbh said:
You will need 1 dish for Dish & 1 dish for DTV. The 1 DTV dish will give you all you locals as well as any other channels you order.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if DTV services for the package, HD, and locals would require more than one dish.

For the locals, they are just providing you an OTA that clips on to the dish, like the old Terks (or whatever they were called...got one in the garage now)? I am just wondering what benefit is it paying for the locals when I could use my R/S indoor setup and get all the locals anyway...sort of confused on this.

The local are from the sat. If you get the 3 dish LNB you will only get the MPEG 2 locals If you get the 5 LNB dish you will get both the MPEG 2 & 4 Locals. If you get them in HD OTA that works too. Some say they are better OTA because DTV down rezzezs their HD.

chazcbh said:
The local are from the sat. If you get the 3 dish LNB you will only get the MPEG 2 locals If you get the 5 LNB dish you will get both the MPEG 2 & 4 Locals. If you get them in HD OTA that works too. Some say they are better OTA because DTV down rezzezs their HD.

Any way to ensure you get the 5 LNB dish? Or is it up to the whims of the installer?

I'm ruling out the DVR...called and spoke to a CSR and wouldn't throw it in. I explained how Dish provides them for free when you "lease it," so if they are moving down the Dish route or leasing these stuff, they should consider being competitive. I am not paying $100 to lease an SD DVR AND pay you $5.99 to use it...

Terp said:
Any way to ensure you get the 5 LNB dish? Or is it up to the whims of the installer?

I'm ruling out the DVR...called and spoke to a CSR and wouldn't throw it in. I explained how Dish provides them for free when you "lease it," so if they are moving down the Dish route or leasing these stuff, they should consider being competitive. I am not paying $100 to lease an SD DVR AND pay you $5.99 to use it...

If you get an H20 for HD they will have to install the 5 LNB so there will be no choice. Also once you are on you will get offers for a free DVR they puss them all the time. I have 2 1 SD & 1 HD and did not pay for either one. Give it some time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)