PBS mux on 125W moving around...preparing for changes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Because there's no reason why they can't if they're switching to MPEG-4. It shouldn't cost that much more to arrange the feeds in a smart manner across their rented transponders to allow for maximum bitrate to each or use DVB-S2.

I'm sure the extra transponder space costs money. And don't forget, just because there's a long-term deal in place, doesn't mean that if both SES and PBS want to change it, it cannot be changed. I've heard that AMC21 is full, and it wouldn't surprise me if PBS wanted to shrink their bills and SES wanted to free up another transponder, so the two would mutually benefit from reducing the transponder space used by PBS.

- Trip

I've heard that AMC21 is full,
cant be as I've seen sports feeds last season be used on AMC21.....but now that I think about it those usually were on 12060....which now PBS uses...hmmmmm

I thought there was barely anything on AMC 21 except for PBS stuff. That's very surprising to hear that it's full already.

A lot of it of course is not in the clear.

just a reminder according to the chart posted before on Monday the 12180 TP goes to MPEG4. Now if that means S2 or staying as DVB is anyone's guess as it doesnt say ;)

Iceberg said:
just a reminder according to the chart posted before on Monday the 12180 TP goes to MPEG4. Now if that means S2 or staying as DVB is anyone's guess as it doesnt say ;)

I thought those were already MPEG4, since I have a Neusat 9000HD that gets quality on those transponders, but never could scan in any of the channels. They play fine on my CS 8000 and Pansat 9200 though.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

It might have been the other transponder then, but that Neusat wouldn't scan those in no matter what.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

There is one channel on that TP (12180 V 30000) that is HD but the other 4 (Create, V-Me, World and a SD feed channel) work fine on the CS5000 right now

PBS test patterns on 12180 now read as follows

MPEG2 Services (HD03, SD01, Create, V'me, World) on Transponder 24 will end on June 19, 2012 @ 1100 ET. Please re-tune to Transponder 18 to continue receiving these MPEG2 Services.

Guess the transition's been slightly delayed to Tuesday @ 11 AM.

I sure hope they will end up having World and Create as HD channels after this. I like both of those channels very much..
My dad likes World a lot as well...

As World and Create are intended to be subchannels only for PBS over-the-air affiliates I find it very unlikely that PBS will be switching them to HD.

Their goal with this move seems to be to conserve as much transponder space as possible.

As World and Create are intended to be subchannels only for PBS over-the-air affiliates I find it very unlikely that PBS will be switching them to HD.

Their goal with this move seems to be to conserve as much transponder space as possible.

:(

SD01 is going bonkers tonight.

Dgjof.png

Everything else on the TP coming in flawlessly and got a great signal on the frequency. This seems to be a problem with the source. Wonder if it's related to the transition...

Sure is...I even did a re-scan to see if they changed some numbers just slightly enough to cause this, but nope.

HD03 channel on 12180 dropped as of 10 minutes ago; you can still watch it on 12060.

Kind of hoping this means they'll play around with some H.264 today on 12180 after all. Yes, I am very excited by PBS finally going MPEG-4 :D

Found some info on FY2012 plans:

MPEG 4 distribution upgrade

Develop next generation real-time delivery platform
Reduce Satellite Transponder capacity
Improve video signal quality
Increase number of audio channels and improve quality

Audio Level / Loudness monitoring & tracking
Measure/record NPS and Soft feeds to confirm compliance to ‘CALM’ act

Control Room Audio & Video monitoring enhancements
Install higher resolution monitoring and additional 5.1 audio monitoring stations

Issue ticketing, tracking & reporting application enhancements
Upgrade UI and reporting tools within ‘Remedy’ software application

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)