Pending snowstorm first one since I've had dish

Joe891

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
Ok guys so I'm sure it's been discussed many times but I'm curious with our first big snow storm coming to my area since I have had dish. How do you guys get the snow off of your dish without using a ladder? My dish is on the roof on the front of my house about one story up on the roof of my front porch.

I think ice, not snow, may be a problem.

I generally have no problems and leave the (infrequent) snow on it. Rarely lose signal here in northern VA on EA.

Reactions: TheKrell
Luckily my dish is mounted to the back wall of my house and I can get to it through a windows using a car show brush. Others have used supersoakers with warm water for hard to reach dishes,

A wet heavy snow takes mine out every time .When I had a dish 500 the snow really did not affect it .The good thing is I can reach the dish with a four foot ladder.

Reactions: old corps
Ok guys so I'm sure it's been discussed many times but I'm curious with our first big snow storm coming to my area since I have had dish. How do you guys get the snow off of your dish without using a ladder? My dish is on the roof on the front of my house about one story up on the roof of my front porch.

All you need is something long to tap it so the snow falls off. It may not even get any snow on it to worry about. It's generally not a big issue.

Reactions: charlesrshell
With the accumulation being forecast there is a good chance it will be a "dry" snow. Wet sticky snow tends to accumulate and due to the water content will block signal. Depending on your weather conditions a hose and cold water might be enough to clear the dish.

A broom has worked for me back when my dish was on the roof of my 1-story home.
With the accumulation being forecast there is a good chance it will be a "dry" snow. Wet sticky snow tends to accumulate and due to the water content will block signal. Depending on your weather conditions a hose and cold water might be enough to clear the dish.
Actually, I think it is more about the density of the material absorbing the signal. Light snows can accumulate too, I remember just losing my signal and looked at the dish and snow went from the dish all the way to the LNB! However, it is the amount of water that the signal must get through. A wetter snow has more water in it.

Wet snows definitely are more problematic for signal loss.

Thanks for the info everyone I'm just south of baltimore so I'm just worried about being snowed in without dish.

The dry snow does not block the signal, add moisture and it becomes too dense to pass a signal. I can have dry snow, and in the afternoon long after it stopped snowing lose the signal because the sun melted some of the snow on the dish.

Sometimes you just can’t keep up. In November 2014 when we had our ‘Snovember’ you just couldn’t keep up with snow that falls at rates of 4 or 5” per hour. Woke up on Day 1 of the storm with 30”. Cleaned out the driveway on Day 2, only to get 30 more inches on Day 3. 70 inches of snow in four days for me, other areas got hit harder. It made for a pretty dangerous few days in my corner of the world. Not too far from me some poor guy died when he got trapped in is his car because he chose to pull over and was either asphyxiated to death or froze to death and no one even knew for a few days because his car was completely buried. Total of 8 or 9 people lost their lives because of the storm.

Last year on this site, when I brought it up I was called lazy for not clearing off my dishes. When I had other things to worry about, like cleaning out my driveway and not having a heart attack from overexertion. People generally have no clue how dangerous these situations can be. These high amounts of snow are no joke. Being inconvenienced by loss of a TV signal or power shouldn’t even matter. If I’m lazy for not setting my alarm to go off every few hours in the middle of the night and not trudging through snow that came up to my neck just to clear off a satellite dish, then so be it.

Point is, if the snow is heavy enough and falls at a rapid rate, there’s not much you can do. Mine are mounted on the back of my single story house. Where I have the X is where my old Dish Network dishes were located. They were completely mangled and hanging off the roof. You can see my two DirecTV dishes peeking out from the snow at the end of the house. Although you can't really tell, they essentially collapsed. The arms and LNBs were just about flush with the slope of the roof and the masts were bent. If I remember right, the dishes got snowed in the Wednesday of the storm, and a DirecTV tech wasn’t able to get out here until the following Saturday. To even suggest it was possible to clean them off with a broom or water gun is laughable.

Stay safe, it's only TV.

Attachments

• snow.png
    snow.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 272
The higher the moisture content in snow, the higher the attenuation. Satellite signals are slightly attenuated as they pass through fluffy snow and reflect off the reflector, but as the moisture content increases, this layer increases the attenuation and signal may be lost. BTW... KA frequencies will be lost before KU.

If the snow cover becomes slush, water sheets on the snow surface or the snow freezes and creates a sheet of ice, this becomes the reflector surface. The uneven surface accuracy may disperse the reflected signals or moves the reflective surface closer to the feedhorn instead of focusing the signals into the LNBF feedhorn.

The highest signal loss will occur when snow builds up directly in front of the LNBF or sheets on the face of the LNBF cover.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I decided to buy a Dish Heater Should have it next week.
Then we'll see how well this thing works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)