People irate about NASA TV channel move=$$

... BHN does need to get rid of the analog tier to compete...

Getting rid of the analog has absolutely nothing to do with deciding to move it into an extra cost digital tier. It can be digital without being in the extra cost lineup. BHN chose to make it an extra cost for those people not getting the extra digital tier. Make it digital, don't put it into a higher cost grouping, give people not paying for the EXTRA level the equipment to see it.

Or am I all wrong? Did they actually NOT put it into the extra fee tier? If they did, my objection and all the others objections are valid.

Getting rid of the analog has absolutely nothing to do with deciding to move it into an extra cost digital tier. It can be digital without being in the extra cost lineup. BHN chose to make it an extra cost for those people not getting the extra digital tier. Make it digital, don't put it into a higher cost grouping, give people not paying for the EXTRA level the equipment to see it.

Or am I all wrong? Did they actually NOT put it into the extra fee tier? If they did, my objection and all the others objections are valid.

It sounds like the complaint is that it went from analog to digital. Same old song and dance. The idiot NASA employee (engineer?) is referring to standard analog cable as "free." Again, he must live in an apartment that has "free" cable, but is really paid for as part of his rent. You know, the kind where you get analog cable as part of your rent or association fees (condo) and if you want digital cable or Internet, you pay BHN extra. He must think it is free, but now it is pay TV. I agree that it should be in the same digital grouping as government channels (and I believe it is in the Tampa market, so it should be there too), as opposed to the digital grouping that includes channels such as DIY, Fine Living, etc. But I don't think that is the argument. They were used to switching on an analog, box-less TV and seeing NASA TV and now it has been moved to digital and they don't like it.

In Tampa, NASA channel has been in digital for a while. I guess the stink over there is that many of those CFL subscribers work for NASA. But I stand behind my comment that they earn enough to pay for a digital cable box, whether they can get it with the cheaper converter or need the regular digital cable box.

On another note. I see BHN added a few NBC cable HD channels (BRAVO, USA, SCI-FI) in the Tampa market. They must do better than that. I still cannot believe they don't have Starz, TMC, or Cinemax in HD when FIOS in the same market has all the premiums in HD available from providers. BHN needs to work faster than that if they want to keep subscribers.

So I don't know that you are wrong on this as far where they put it, but it is part of digital now. These people need to get over it.

It sounds like the complaint is that it went from analog to digital. ...
The complaint is absolutely NOT that it went to digital...it is that it was put into an extra cost tier.

And I just had another thought: if digital is so good and analog so bad for BHN, why do they charge MORE for the digital. You don't price the area you want people to move to HIGHER. You should price it lower, in order to incentivize people to give up on the other (analog) stuff. No, what you do is price it higher, put all the good stuff in it, and thus FORCE people to sign up in order to see what they want to see.
...These people need to get over it.

Don't dare comment on what we do to you...just accept it and shut up.

The complaint is absolutely NOT that it went to digital...it is that it was put into an extra cost tier.

And I just had another thought: if digital is so good and analog so bad for BHN, why do they charge MORE for the digital. You don't price the area you want people to move to HIGHER. You should price it lower, in order to incentivize people to give up on the other (analog) stuff. No, what you do is price it higher, put all the good stuff in it, and thus FORCE people to sign up in order to see what they want to see.

You just don't get it.... it really doesn't matter to me what BHN does with their TV now. I mean, I only have an Internet connection with them now, so it really doesn't matter to me personally.

I only care from a business perspective. Running a business is like living a healthy life, you have the instinct of survival. Stop the bleeding, shut off analog. It is in my nature to look at a business and think about what they need to do to do better or survive. It is like a film director, picking apart another director's movie. Anybody with a lick of sense can look at BHN and say, "They have got to shut off analog."

Day to day, I see the FIOS trucks installing in my neighborhood. You know what that means, right? BHN is losing another customer. Shut off analog and have the capacity to compete. It is a no brainer. But, they cannot just do that because so many crybabbies are crying about it. Well, like I said, they just need to take the candy from the baby quickly and walk away by turning the whole analog tier off in one shot. Instead, <enter mistake here> they are moving a channel here, channel there, allowing the crowd to get angry over and over again. It is like grounding your kid who has 30 Xbox games. You don't just take away one at a time if your intention is to take them all away eventually anyway. Just take all 30 games away and be done with it. The kid will cry once and throw a fit, and then it will be over with. Take them away one by one and you have to hear the kid cry over and over and over again.

It would make good business sense to just announce the analog shutoff, and announce some/all of the new HD channels that you'll see once the analogs are shut off (like all 40+ available premiums in HD, Fox News HD, etc.). They would focus on all the deliciously "good things to come." "Making room for more HD."

You and I have had this argument before. We are never going to change each others mind. I just don't understand what you are fighting for. You act as if you are on the side of the poverty stricken family and that BHN somehow owes them a solution if they switch to analog. I say BHN has every right to switch it all to digital and not offer that cheaper digital box, but they are throwing a bone to the poor by renting them a cheap box for some of the channels. I would say BHN is going above and beyond for them. They are in business to make money, not make sure that every citizen has TNT and USA in their house for the price of analog cable.

Also, an analog shut off would cut down greatly on piracy. Maybe some of the uproar is being done by people that aren't even paying for cable but are enjoying it. I have known a lot of people over the years that hooked up their own cable or tapped into their neigbor's cable and shared one bill. This is stealing, but is often justified by high cable rates. Turn off analog, turn off a lot of piracy.

I agree. Death to Analog!!!!

Between those $1 digital boxes, and the digital-to-analog thingys that comcast is using (that converts the signal back to Analog) there is no great reason to keep it.

Do that, and have FSN & NFL Network finally give in (let them put it on the Sports Tier where it belongs), and FioS and Uverse won't have as much going for it. And really, FSN, just admit it...you aren't going on Basic Cable. Give it up already!

Of the people here supporting BHN, how many of you are associated with them--meaning being employed by BHN, employed by a subcontractor to BHN, or working for another company that is not a sub but is associated with them in some other way?

Frankly, I don't think we are reading unbiased opinions here.

I have nothing to gain from stating my opinion here. Its only my opinion

You do not have to buy the digital tier to get NASA tv..

Because digital gives you more channels? And its less then 10$ difference between the two. (Basically for about 6bucks a month more you can get digital tier)

I agree. Death to Analog!!!!

Between those $1 digital boxes, and the digital-to-analog thingys that comcast is using (that converts the signal back to Analog) there is no great reason to keep it.

Do that, and have FSN & NFL Network finally give in (let them put it on the Sports Tier where it belongs), and FioS and Uverse won't have as much going for it. And really, FSN, just admit it...you aren't going on Basic Cable. Give it up already!

Agreed 100%

You do not have to buy the digital tier to get NASA tv..
Whoa..thanks for revealing that. As was clear in all my posts, I think, that was my complaint. It was drawn from earlier things which seemed to say that it had been moved into the digital TIER, not just had been made digital.

Check out my post on the 20th, when I said, "There is a major difference in making it digital, and moving it into a digital tier, no?" In fact, someone said immediately after that, "... BHN is not charging you any more for the channel (did the digital tier price go up because of?..." which sure implies that it was put into the digital tier, but price of tier not increased.

Wish someone would have said "You do not have to buy the digital tier to get NASA tv" earlier; would've saved lots of typing and lots of useless back and forth that has ensued. Was it not clear all along that I thought it had been put into the digital tier? Arghhh.

I've got one better for yall.... pick up a cheap FTA box. Find someone with a dish that they aren't using, usually not a hard thing if you look a little. Point it at 119W, do a scan, and there you will have the NASA channel. It's not encrypted and free to all.

Done.

Could be worse, cox in Phoenix dropped NASA from digital saying there wasn't enough interest, I think they replaced it with CSPAN-3 if that tells you anything.

Could be worse, cox in Phoenix dropped NASA from digital saying there wasn't enough interest, I think they replaced it with CSPAN-3 if that tells you anything.

Well, NASA has done everything in their power to take the fun out of space exploration over the last 30 years or so. I wish I was around during the moon landing to share in the last exciting thing they did of a positive nature. The two most exciting things that happened in our space program ever since were the two disasters. I agree they do need more funding, but they first need to prove their worth to the nation. There are a lot of people out there that think we should just kill the program. They wouldn't be saying that if we were making actual visible progress in a manned Mars mission. Instead, they continue to suck funding from the system while producing very little. For what it is worth, if we invested the equal $$$ amount in private companies, I guarantee they would have progressed further than NASA has over the last few decades. If $1B buys a new space shuttle, a private company would build 3 or 4 better designed shuttles with the same funding, dollar for dollar. NASA needs to better manage the money it has, make some actual progress, and then ask for more funding. Dumping money into NASA as it stands is not the answer.

Whoa..thanks for revealing that. As was clear in all my posts, I think, that was my complaint. It was drawn from earlier things which seemed to say that it had been moved into the digital TIER, not just had been made digital.

Check out my post on the 20th, when I said, "There is a major difference in making it digital, and moving it into a digital tier, no?" In fact, someone said immediately after that, "... BHN is not charging you any more for the channel (did the digital tier price go up because of?..." which sure implies that it was put into the digital tier, but price of tier not increased.

Wish someone would have said "You do not have to buy the digital tier to get NASA tv" earlier; would've saved lots of typing and lots of useless back and forth that has ensued. Was it not clear all along that I thought it had been put into the digital tier? Arghhh.

It wasn't clear thats what you meant( at least to me and I think others, I guess its just the terminology usage), but your complaint does make sense now knowing what you meant ;) However its not valid, as you can get the channel without upgradeing to "digital tier" however you do need a box, (ie: one of those 1$ ones which I mentioned several times) should cover you just fine.

I've got one better for yall.... pick up a cheap FTA box. Find someone with a dish that they aren't using, usually not a hard thing if you look a little. Point it at 119W, do a scan, and there you will have the NASA channel. It's not encrypted and free to all.

Done.

Oh dear god NO! Go back to your FTA area!:p

I can already hear the call center phone calls --

Call center - so you hooked up an FTA box and now your digital box doesnt work. Oh I see you don't have time guard. We can send a tech out to fix your problem for 40$ a line.

Customer - why should I pay for that? (complain, groan, moan)

Charter/KMOV (CBS STL) Dispute

New HD Channels for Orlando -- Dec

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)