Personal Computer Game News

The issue is that history has proven AGAIN and AGAIN that nearly all anti-piracy measures ultimately fail and do nothing to curtail it or increase sales. The Witcher 3 proved that a AAA release can be successful without DRM, and similarly games like Spore, Diablo 3, Sim City, Assassins Creed 2, and others that excessively try to stop piracy end up just pissing people off and suffering as a result. And it's not like DRM does much anyways. I fail to see how Bethesda thinks that not putting all the data on the disc will curtail piracy since I have yet to see any instance of a Steam released game being unable to be cracked.

As far as other countries goes, the reason piracy is so rampant is that oftentimes either A: The game isn't available in that country, or B: The game is much more expensive/Income levels are so low that games are unobtainable in most circumstances. People are willing to pay if they feel they're getting their money's worth and they can afford it.

Honestly, if some sort of rental system could be figured out, I think piracy would be HEAVILY curtailed. I admit that I have pirated quite a few games, but that was mainly because I either couldn't get the games any other way or because I didn't want to make a heavy financial investment and instead wanted a "try before you buy." Even pirates constantly point out that the point of pirating software is not to screw over developers/publishers out of payment for all their hard work. It's so you can try stuff out risk free, but if you like what you pirated, you damn sure should buy it. Of course, Steam refunds have helped curtail this a bit, but honestly, that seems more tailored to make sure you're not buying a bugged out piece of crap or some REALLY awful game. Most of the companies still pushing this bad DRM are AAA developers and in my opinion, in most cases 2 hours isn't a good amount of time to gauge whether or not you'll like a game. Still. it is obvious that not everyone thinks that piracy is the end all be all, because if they did then Good Old Games wouldn't exist. All their games are DRM free, and it's VERY easy to get them on torrent sites because of this. Even though I know how to torrent and have a 100mb internet connection, I'm still eagerly waiting for Hotline Miami 2 to get a 50% off discount as opposed to just saying "Screw it" and downloading the GoG release for free because I want the developer/publisher to get paid and thus release more games.

And yes, I know that there's still a lot of people who just pirate because they want free games, and it still annoys me when I see people read something they don't like about a game and they say, "F*ck these guys, I'm just going to pirate the game." The best way to show your displeasure for a company IMO isn't to steal their stuff, but rather to not play their stuff at all. I'm not going to pirate WBIE games because of what they did to Arkham Knight; I'm just not going to play their games at all. Sorry for this rant but I think I speak for many PC gamers when I say that I'm getting sick and tired of being treated like a dirty criminal. Yes I have pirated, but I seriously doubt that I've caused any tangible damage to any studios when I buy what I like and quickly delete what I don't.

The issue is that history has proven AGAIN and AGAIN that nearly all anti-piracy measures ultimately fail and do nothing to curtail it or increase sales. The Witcher 3 proved that a AAA release can be successful without DRM, and similarly games like Spore, Diablo 3, Sim City, Assassins Creed 2, and others that excessively try to stop piracy end up just pissing people off and suffering as a result. And it's not like DRM does much anyways. I fail to see how Bethesda thinks that not putting all the data on the disc will curtail piracy since I have yet to see any instance of a Steam released game being unable to be cracked.

As far as other countries goes, the reason piracy is so rampant is that oftentimes either A: The game isn't available in that country, or B: The game is much more expensive/Income levels are so low that games are unobtainable in most circumstances. People are willing to pay if they feel they're getting their money's worth and they can afford it.

Honestly, if some sort of rental system could be figured out, I think piracy would be HEAVILY curtailed. I admit that I have pirated quite a few games, but that was mainly because I either couldn't get the games any other way or because I didn't want to make a heavy financial investment and instead wanted a "try before you buy." Even pirates constantly point out that the point of pirating software is not to screw over developers/publishers out of payment for all their hard work. It's so you can try stuff out risk free, but if you like what you pirated, you damn sure should buy it. Of course, Steam refunds have helped curtail this a bit, but honestly, that seems more tailored to make sure you're not buying a bugged out piece of crap or some REALLY awful game. Most of the companies still pushing this bad DRM are AAA developers and in my opinion, in most cases 2 hours isn't a good amount of time to gauge whether or not you'll like a game. Still. it is obvious that not everyone thinks that piracy is the end all be all, because if they did then Good Old Games wouldn't exist. All their games are DRM free, and it's VERY easy to get them on torrent sites because of this. Even though I know how to torrent and have a 100mb internet connection, I'm still eagerly waiting for Hotline Miami 2 to get a 50% off discount as opposed to just saying "Screw it" and downloading the GoG release for free because I want the developer/publisher to get paid and thus release more games.

And yes, I know that there's still a lot of people who just pirate because they want free games, and it still annoys me when I see people read something they don't like about a game and they say, "F*ck these guys, I'm just going to pirate the game." The best way to show your displeasure for a company IMO isn't to steal their stuff, but rather to not play their stuff at all. I'm not going to pirate WBIE games because of what they did to Arkham Knight; I'm just not going to play their games at all. Sorry for this rant but I think I speak for many PC gamers when I say that I'm getting sick and tired of being treated like a dirty criminal. Yes I have pirated, but I seriously doubt that I've caused any tangible damage to any studios when I buy what I like and quickly delete what I don't.

I totally agree with a lot of what you said in this post. That's why at the beginning of my post I mentioned that things like this often end up hurting paying customers and still don't stop the piracy. Luckily, outside of a couple older games that used Games For Windows Live I have never had DRM give me trouble when trying to play a game. Steam, uPlay, and Origin have all been relatively seamless for me but I've only been gaming on PC for a few years so maybe I missed the era when this was a major problem.

One justification I read for Bethesda not including the full game on the disc is that people who post cracked games on torrent sites often get retail copies of PC games from stores that break street date. They have the game cracked and available for piracy before it is available to download from Steam.

Apparently games that aren't available to pirate before they are available to play from legit sources have a much lower piracy rate. By not putting the game in a playable format on the disc they are making sure it won't be available available for pirates before legit copies will be playable on Steam. Sure, plenty of people will still wait until they can steal it but many people will just see that there is no cracked version available yet and buy it.

I don't want to let Bethesda off the hook that easily though. In my eyes, if you are going to make a retail version of a game available customers should be able to play it without downloading anything. Maybe you still have to activate it on Steam but people with low data caps or slow speed should be able to play the physical game they bought without downloading multiple gigabytes of data. They might have to deal with some bugs that were fixed in patches but the game should at least be playable.

It sounds like Bethesda only wanted to put one DVD in the box and Fallout 4 doesn't come close to fitting on a single DVD. If that's the case don't put out a retail version then. Fallout 4 would have done just fine without sitting in a box off in the back corner of your local Walmart. Consoles still sell most of their copies at retail but PC doesn't.

Speaking of Bethesda, they're definitely sparing no expense when it comes to marketing of Fallout 4. This was spotted in Melbourne..

vP2Sbgy.jpg

And if you live in England, you can get Fallout Beer!

Amazon product ASIN B016XZVE96

Last edited:
So for about 5 years there was Quake Live, which was a true F2P browser based game based on the popular FPS of Quake 3. Last year they put it into Steam, where it was still free. Today EVERYTHING changed, as they converted the game into a Steamworks title, and are now charging $10 for it. Not only that, but players lost their username, clans, and even settings in some cases. Needless to say, people aren't thrilled.

http://kotaku.com/quake-live-fans-are-angry-about-a-10-switcheroo-1739068130

The US Copyright office has ruled that single player games that require online authentication can be cracked/recoded to bypass it if the game's servers have been offline for over 6 months. It bypasses the DMCA rulings, so publishers can't claim it if people try to modify the game. Unfortunately, this applies only to single player, not multiplayer games that have had servers shut down. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/gene...ames-with-dead-drm-servers-ruled-dmca-exempt/

Treyarch is upping things for PC owners of Black Ops 3 by providing tools for modding and custom maps in April.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/2/96...-3-gets-pc-mod-map-tool-support-in-2016-alpha

So basically this likely means that all the good maps from past CoD games will be remade with this tool, unless of course Activision decides to pull them down.

If only my friends who play COD had gaming PCs instead of PS4s.

Edit: This might put a dent in their season pass sales on PC though. Not sure why any PC gamers would buy a $50 season pass when they can play unlimited community created maps for free.

If only my friends who play COD had gaming PCs instead of PS4s.

Edit: This might put a dent in their season pass sales on PC though. Not sure why any PC gamers would buy a $50 season pass when they can play unlimited community created maps for free.

Because they can't be used in standard matchmaking and other events. Also I have the feeling that Community maps won't count towards XP/rewards. Finally, we don't know how robust the system will be or how it will be monitored. Basically, I'm sure Activision has SOMETHING planned to make sure their DLC cash cow won't be too adversely affected.

World of Warcraft is down to 5.5 million subscribers. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I mean they're not on the verge of collapse and I'm sure WoW still acts as a great cash cow, but considering they were up to 12 million 5 years ago, this can't be considered good by any stretch. And it also can't be good that from now on, Blizzard won't be sharing subscription numbers.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content...ubscribers-Warcraft-Movie-Trailer-at-Blizzcon

Last edited:
Because they can't be used in standard matchmaking and other events. Also I have the feeling that Community maps won't count towards XP/rewards. Finally, we don't know how robust the system will be or how it will be monitored. Basically, I'm sure Activision has SOMETHING planned to make sure their DLC cash cow won't be too adversely affected.

But they did say that there will be an unranked, dedicated server browser specifically so people can find people to play these community created maps on. No, that's not the standard matchmaking and you probably won't earn XP the same way but that's still pretty awesome.

CS:GO features this same type of system for playing community created maps and it works very well. If they make it work as well as CS:GO does I would see no reason to ever actually pay Activision for DLC maps.

Unfortunately, I will be playing on PS4 if I even buy the game this year so none of this is relevant to me.

Well, it also may just be a big ploy to get more PC users to jump on to CoD. When this was announced BO3 jumped to #3 on Steam's sales list, so now they've gained sales for the main game, and surely SOME of them will buy some DLC as well, because even though there are mods tools some won't be bothered. Also, MOD tools leads to more sales long term. I think it's safe to say that CoD isn't exactly a huge seller on PC as they're always focused more on consoles. I'm pretty sure all the eSports that use CoD in them use the consoles as opposed to the PC as well. So this is likely just a way to increase PC sales.

Well, it also may just be a big ploy to get more PC users to jump on to CoD. When this was announced BO3 jumped to #3 on Steam's sales list, so now they've gained sales for the main game, and surely SOME of them will buy some DLC as well, because even though there are mods tools some won't be bothered. Also, MOD tools leads to more sales long term. I think it's safe to say that CoD isn't exactly a huge seller on PC as they're always focused more on consoles. I'm pretty sure all the eSports that use CoD in them use the consoles as opposed to the PC as well. So this is likely just a way to increase PC sales.

Yeah, I think it's an awesome idea. It's just a little surprising when we are talking about a Call of Duty game from Activision. They are one of the last companies I would expect something like this from.

Yeah, I think it's an awesome idea. It's just a little surprising when we are talking about a Call of Duty game from Activision. They are one of the last companies I would expect something like this from.
Probably shows just how desperate they are. I mean we're on Call of Duty 12 now. They need to try to spice up things a bit somewhere. Hell, Advanced Warfare didn't even sell 15 million copies, whereas every single release since 4 has done so (that statistic may change but doesn't change the fact that sales are going down with each release after hitting the peak at MW3)

Speaking of BO:3, since the campaign is geared towards Co-Op, want to do the campaign online that way?

Probably shows just how desperate they are. I mean we're on Call of Duty 12 now. They need to try to spice up things a bit somewhere. Hell, Advanced Warfare didn't even sell 15 million copies, whereas every single release since 4 has done so (that statistic may change but doesn't change the fact that sales are going down with each release after hitting the peak at MW3)

Speaking of BO:3, since the campaign is geared towards Co-Op, want to do the campaign online that way?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind playing the campaign in co-op if you get it for PS4. Maybe I'll actually finish a COD campaign for the first time since probably Modern Warfare if we do that.

I was considering not even buying COD this year since I know how wrapped up I will be in Fallout 4 starting next week but the college friends I always play it with kind of talked me into it.

Yeah I'm getting the PS4 version via Gamefly (presumably, barring a supply shortage that results in me not being able to get it in a timely manner.)