Personal Computer Game News

I played the demo on PS4 and it was cool enough that I do want to play this game at some point. It will probably be heavily discounted before I get to it though.
Yeah and Square Enix (still feels weird to call it that, I remember when they were 2 companies: Squaresoft and Enix) is very liberal with sales. Probably within 18 months you'll be able to find it > 50% off.

I'm not a fan of the way they force you to sign up for their newsletter in order to register for the beta. I suppose I can always unsubscribe or let my Gmail spam filter catch that stuff later though.
Yeah that came off as a bit of a dick move as well. I'll just unsub once I get my key, assuming I'm chosen.

It appears that Quake Champions is adopting something similar to the Heroes of the Storm F2P model, where the game is basically free, but you get limited access to all the characters/champions. You can either play the game and accumulate in game currency to "rent" the champions for a limited time, OR you can just pay and get access to everyone.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/10/14877004/quake-champions-free-to-play-full-price-favor-currency

I actually like the way Heroes of the Storm works better. In HOTS there are something like 10 characters you can play for free at any given time. The free characters rotate in and out every week so it isn't always the same ones.

If you want to be able to play a specific character whenever you want you can either buy that character with real money or you can use the gold you earn from playing the game. I have spent some money to buy discounted character bundles but I have also earned enough gold to permanently unlock quite a few characters for free. The HOTS system is not a rental. Whether you buy a character with in game currency or real money they are yours to use permanently.

To be fair, Heroes of the Storm is up to 65 playable characters now and more new ones are still consistently being added. I don't know how many Quake Champions will have but my guess is that it's probably less than 10. HOTS can afford to let you permanently unlock a decent amount of characters for free because there are still so many other ones, skins, and mounts they can sell to people for real money. If Quake Champions did the same thing with only 5-10 characters people could unlock just about everything without spending a dollar unless they made the currency earn rate so low that it wasn't fun.

The 1080 Ti founders edition launched today and the reviews were allowed to go up today as well. The short version is that it is a $700 card that is faster than the $1200 Pascal Titan X that came out in August. This is the first card I would be willing to buy a 4K monitor for. Everything before it, besides the Titan X, requires quite a few graphics settings to be turned down if you care about 60 FPS gaming.

This thing is able to pump out 92 FPS in Doom at 4K. The 68 FPS in Witcher 3 at 4K is also really impressive considering how demanding that game is. The third party, factory overclocked cards should do even better. This thing is still well above the price I feel comfortable spending on a GPU but they are getting closer. I'll stick with my 1070 and 1440p monitor for at least another GPU generation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972.html

r_600x450.png

r_600x450.png

The Lawbreakers Beta starts tomorrow. If you participated in the Alpha you automatically get access, as the game is still in your library. So you can basically download it now and then you're set once the beta goes live.

The Lawbreakers Beta starts tomorrow. If you participated in the Alpha you automatically get access, as the game is still in your library. So you can basically download it now and then you're set once the beta goes live.

I don't see myself playing much of this beta. I had a decent time with the Alpha but it wasn't something I'm dying to play more of. Between that and wanting to put as much time into Horizon as possible before Mass Effect next week Lawbreakers is pretty low priority for me.

I don't know if this is actually recent news but Origin Access is now available as a $30 per year subscription. This has been an option on Xbox One with EA Access from the beginning but the PC version was only offering the $5 per month plan when I looked into it in the past. I was going to just do a trial to download Mass Effect early but I ended up buying a year subscription.

Looks like Halo Wars (the original) may be coming to PC.

First off, its weird enough that the original would come AFTER the sequel was released, but this is made even MORE weird in that it looks like the original is going to be released on STEAM..

Sounds like a very solid update. The loot boxes will be a pretty major change. They will work like they do in Overwatch where you get some random items every time you level up. You can also get new heroes from these loot boxes. Before there was no such thing as loot boxes in HOTS. You just earned gold after every game and this could be used to buy cosmetic items or heroes.

I personally never used my gold to buy cosmetic items because unlocking new heroes was more important to me than having a few heroes with cool skins. This update will be awesome for me because the gold system isn't going away. The loot boxes will allow me to unlock cosmetic items I was never getting before and I will still be able to save up my gold for new heroes.

My first thought was that this new system will hurt their revenue stream because people will be getting items every time they level up instead of having to save gold or use real money. I'm sure Blizzard knows exactly what they are doing here though. They probably have lots of data showing how well loot boxes are selling in Overwatch (especially during events) and know that they can drastically increase their profits by selling them in HOTS too.

Well, this is interesting..

First, Sega released a Free to Play 8-bit version of Bayonetta. It's not much, as all you can do is jump and shoot from one place. Not exactly faithful to the original.

The bigger news is that when you beat the game, it gives you a URL to go to. On that page, all there is is a timer and Bayonetta's boot.

http://www.sega.com/14111219

Looks like we may finally be getting a PC port of Bayonetta, which would be pretty cool. A game like that would be awesome at 144FPS and/or 4K. It'd be REALLY cool if both games got released, but AFAIK Nintendo hasn't given up their exclusivity rights to Bayonetta 2. That was a really well made game that was IMO wasted on the Wii U, but then again if it wasn't put there it wouldn't exist at all. Guess we'll have to wait for the 11th to find out.

I've never played Bayonetta but I would definitely be interested in a PC version.
It really is a well made game with a very unique style. Yes, it does push sexuality to the point where you honestly can't tell if its being parody or grotesque, but it is very similar to that Devil May Cry style of combat, although here its kicked up a bit. The game looked great when it came out originally on the 360 and PS3, although the PS3 port was GOD AWFUL. The company didn't know how to develop for PS3 so it came out significantly worse with multiple frame rate drops and constant loading of areas. I think they eventually fixed it or at least remedied it somewhat. But Bayonetta taking advantage of a 970+/1070+ card would be damn cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)