Personal Computer Game News

I've never bought from them. Steam sales, humble bundles and such are so common that it amazes me that people still resort to 3rd party sellers. I mean, a Far Cry 4 key costs $10 and you think that's 100% legit? And Ubisoft routinely discounts their games heavily as long as you are patient. Many companies do. The only company I've seen that is very stingy with Steam sales and prices is Activision. Hell the cheapest Call of Duty games cost $20, and that goes up to basically MW2.

I've never bought from them. Steam sales, humble bundles and such are so common that it amazes me that people still resort to 3rd party sellers. I mean, a Far Cry 4 key costs $10 and you think that's 100% legit? And Ubisoft routinely discounts their games heavily as long as you are patient. Many companies do. The only company I've seen that is very stingy with Steam sales and prices is Activision. Hell the cheapest Call of Duty games cost $20, and that goes up to basically MW2.

Yeah, I know it's not 100% legit. That's why I included the part about uPlay refusing a bunch of stolen keys that were sold there. I don't think the actual idea of allowing people to sell keys they bought on sale is bad. Unfortunately, when you have an open marketplace where anyone can sell there are going to be scammers attracted to it. That is the thing that kept me from buying anything from them even though I have seen some ridiculously low prices.

After an ungodly delay, Broken Age: Act 2 will finally be released on April 28. The game will also be available in it's entirety that day for the PS4 and Vita.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/25/broken-age-act-2-release-date-announced

Looks like I need to set some time aside to go back and play Act I again to remind myself what happened, and also keep in mind what happened at the end of Act I. Without spoiling, let's just say that Act I has a "Fight Club" like twist where after you see the thing play out once, you have to go back and experience it again to get the whole picture since it changes your perception of everything.

This is more general PC news, but I've been preaching gaming on a SSD for a long time now, and we've got a major breakthrough in SSD storage.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/27/toshiba-intel-3d-nand-chips/?ncid=rss_truncated

Obviously this is a number of years down the road before this becomes affordable for the average consumer, but it's promising the idea that we can finally abandon old, clunky, slow HDD platter drives and get our data even faster with our SSDs.

This is more general PC news, but I've been preaching gaming on a SSD for a long time now, and we've got a major breakthrough in SSD storage.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/27/toshiba-intel-3d-nand-chips/?ncid=rss_truncated

Obviously this is a number of years down the road before this becomes affordable for the average consumer, but it's promising the idea that we can finally abandon old, clunky, slow HDD platter drives and get our data even faster with our SSDs.

Nice. Yeah I think it will be quite a few years until we can get SSDs with the same amount or more storage than HDDs for a similar price but it's nice to see that we might be heading that direction.

I've actually been keeping my eyes open for SSD deals ever since I upgraded my GPU and started spending more time with my PC again. I currently have a 240GB SSD but between the OS and 50GB games becoming more common I can pretty much only fit a couple games I'm currently playing on it and I constantly have to delete games to make room for new ones. Sure, I could just move them to my 1TB HDD but once you get used to the super fast load times off an SSD it's not that appealing to play off a HDD. I've been waiting for a good price so I can install a second SSD exclusively for game installations.

Edit: Newegg is currently advertising a Mushkin 480GB SSD for $159. Now, I've never heard of that brand and for $159 I wouldn't expect it to be a high end SSD but damn that seems like a good price for that amount of storage. I'm pretty tempted to grab one. Even if it's performance is much lower than my other SSD it has to blow my WD 1TB HDD out of the water. It could be a nice way to have lots of games installed on an SSD for a pretty reasonable price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226680

Last edited:
Nice. Yeah I think it will be quite a few years until we can get SSDs with the same amount or more storage than HDDs for a similar price but it's nice to see that we might be heading that direction.

I've actually been keeping my eyes open for SSD deals ever since I upgraded my GPU and started spending more time with my PC again. I currently have a 240GB SSD but between the OS and 50GB games becoming more common I can pretty much only fit a couple games I'm currently playing on it and I constantly have to delete games to make room for new ones. Sure, I could just move them to my 1TB HDD but once you get used to the super fast load times off an SSD it's not that appealing to play off a HDD. I've been waiting for a good price so I can install a second SSD exclusively for game installations.

Edit: Newegg is currently advertising a Mushkin 480GB SSD for $159. Now, I've never heard of that brand and for $159 I wouldn't expect it to be a high end SSD but damn that seems like a good price for that amount of storage. I'm pretty tempted to grab one. Even if it's performance is much lower than my other SSD it has to blow my WD 1TB HDD out of the water. It could be a nice way to have lots of games installed on an SSD for a pretty reasonable price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226680

The drive currently has a 2 egg rating and a LOT of complaints. Although to the fair, the company has responded to every review. Still, I would hold off. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. There's few things more annoying than dealing with a busted hard drive.

In other news, the "Definitive" edition of Dark Souls 2 has had its pricing scheme revealed. To put it bluntly, it's f*cked..

http://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-i...in-gets-confusing-multi-tier-upgrade-pricing/

The drive currently has a 2 egg rating and a LOT of complaints. Although to the fair, the company has responded to every review. Still, I would hold off. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. There's few things more annoying than dealing with a busted hard drive.

In other news, the "Definitive" edition of Dark Souls 2 has had its pricing scheme revealed. To put it bluntly, it's f*cked..

http://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-i...in-gets-confusing-multi-tier-upgrade-pricing/

Yeah, I ended up passing on that SSD. If the bad reviews would have been due to performance relative to other SSDs I would have bought it because it would still be much better than the secondary HDD I'm currently using. After reading reviews and seeing that it seems to have a high failure rate I decided it wasn't worth the discount.

The Dark Souls thing is pretty crazy. I've never heard of a game charging different prices for different DirectX versions. I suppose it's not that much different than games like Metro and Sleeping Dogs charging more for their upgraded PC versions instead of just patching the upgrade in for existing owners though. The main difference there is that I think those games pulled the original version off Steam when they started charging more for the new version.

Yeah, I ended up passing on that SSD. If the bad reviews would have been due to performance relative to other SSDs I would have bought it because it would still be much better than the secondary HDD I'm currently using. After reading reviews and seeing that it seems to have a high failure rate I decided it wasn't worth the discount.

The Dark Souls thing is pretty crazy. I've never heard of a game charging different prices for different DirectX versions. I suppose it's not that much different than games like Metro and Sleeping Dogs charging more for their upgraded PC versions instead of just patching the upgrade in for existing owners though. The main difference there is that I think those games pulled the original version off Steam when they started charging more for the new version.
Well the other REALLY messed up issue is that the versions aren't compatible in Multiplayer. DirectX 9 players can't play with DirectX 11 players. It's literally 2 versions of the exact same game, with the difference being the graphics. I don't know why they couldn't put the different DirectX versions within the same game. Hell, Saints Row 3 was able to put 8 and 9 in the same game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts