Piggyback off MoCA?

duke02

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
NC
So here's my setup. I have my living room downstairs hard wired for ethernet to my modem/router in my office. My living room ethernet connects to the HIC which then connects to the hopper in the living room. My other hopper is in my bedroom and connects via MoCA through the HIC back to the router. I also have an AppleTV in the bedroom and preferring wired vs wireless connections for petty much everything, I was wondering if its possible to install some sorth of MoCA access point in between the wall and the hopper in the bedroom that would then provide an ethernet port to the appletv to access the home network.

It would generally seem that something like the below adapter would work, but I'm not sure if that would create issuers for the HIC/Hopper. I notice that some say "not for satellite TV" - I'm assuming that has to do with competing frequency ranges. Could I use a HIC in reverse in the bedroom (the Coax would provide the broadband connection and the ethernet would be the access point)?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RJMBZU/?tag=satell01-20

I don't want to go with powerline ethernet since the bedroom is on a seperate circuit than either room with ethernet access and from what I've heard crossing circuits really decreases throughput. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The adapter you list is NOT Moca. Hpna is a similar but competing tech. It has no chance of working on the same cable. Some of the Moca products may work, but probably use different bands than dish.

They are all just various versions of a HIC. A couple of folks have used a second HIC for this purpose. That would mean putting a tap in the bedroom. Dish specs are that if two taps are used all cabling should be RG6. You only mention two hoppers, so cabling should be OK. If there are any Joeys in the mix, make sure they are RG6 as well.

As for real world throughput, I'm not sure what you will get.

If the wireless is working well, I don't know if I would rush to do it.

Thanks for the insight. In thinking about this further, I'm wondering if I could use the 1st hopper as a bridge and connect it via ethernet to the router and then use the HIC as the access point in the bedroom.

Theoretically it should work. You should have all the pieces you need to test it. Would be interested in the results.

I don't want to go with powerline ethernet since the bedroom is on a seperate circuit than either room with ethernet access and from what I've heard crossing circuits really decreases throughput. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have installed lots of powerline adapters.. I am not an expert on them.. Put have not had any problems with them on separate circuits. But have had lots of problems when they are on separate phases. At one house the only time the powerline would work was when the dryer was on. I guess because at that time it would be a open circuit..or closed circuit.. What ever it would be..LOL

Dish tech installed and provided a powerline setup for me when my hopper was installed. Definitely on different circuits, but seems to work pretty great.

I have installed lots of powerline adaptersQUOTE]

I have a left over powerline adpt from my pre hopper days, I know how to get from my router to electric but what is the best/cheapest/fastest way to connect a desktop computer to this setup? Is it another brown box and eth. cable to it? Is their a usb option?

I have installed lots of powerline adaptersQUOTE]

I have a left over powerline adpt from my pre hopper days, I know how to get from my router to electric but what is the best/cheapest/fastest way to connect a desktop computer to this setup? Is it another brown box and eth. cable to it? Is their a usb option?

Yes.. I do not think there are any USB ones.. But am not sure..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)