Pixel/Sound Issue

jwolf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Aug 19, 2007
Niagara Falls, NY
I have been having this issue with my vip722 for about six weeks now, I have included a video of the symptoms. [ame="http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5117155/13565544"]Dish video/audio issue on Yahoo! Video[/ame]

Dish sent a tech out to my house about six weeks ago when the condition started and were unable to figure the problem out. At that time, the tech replaced both LNB's on both dishes(110/119 & 61.5), replaced grounding blocks, fittings, anything and everything was checked and re-checked and nothing has fixed the issue. I have emailed the dishquality@E C H O S T A R.com and they viewed the video and thought it could be a bad HDMI cable. I switched cables and the issue is still on-going. The issue is very intermittent, when it happens, it goes on for a few days, then disappears.

I called dish again after attempting to watch hockey on Versus on Tuesday evening and a tech came out on Thursday. The tech that came out was the same one from six weeks ago, and he had no fix for me other than a replacement receiver. He thought it COULD be a bad hard drive. A replacement 722 is on the way, I asked for a new one and was told by dish that IF one is avaiable they will send a new one, I won't hold my breath. The tech told me that if the receiver doesn't fix the issue, they would be back out to replace every single cable from both dishes to both receivers. I should tell you that it happens on all three satellites, HD channels and SD channels. I have a DP501(SD) that is unaffected by this issue.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?? What steps should I take that I haven't taken yet? I'd appreciate any help with this issue.

Last edited:
I had problems with a 622 doing the same thing along with not updating the guide. The techs said digital problem. They replaced all cables, ground blocks and a new 722 in place of the 622. They repeaked the 1000.2 dish to get signal strength to 65-70 for the three sats. Then added a dish for 61.5 and peaked signal to 72. The audio, video and guide issues are gone. The picture and sound quality are excellent.

I have been having this issue with my vip722 for about six weeks now, I have included a video of the symptoms. Dish video/audio issue on Yahoo! Video

Dish sent a tech out to my house about six weeks ago when the condition started and were unable to figure the problem out. At that time, the tech replaced both LNB's on both dishes(110/119 & 61.5), replaced grounding blocks, fittings, anything and everything was checked and re-checked and nothing has fixed the issue. I have emailed the dishquality@E C H O S T A R.com and they viewed the video and thought it could be a bad HDMI cable. I switched cables and the issue is still on-going. The issue is very intermittent, when it happens, it goes on for a few days, then disappears.

I called dish again after attempting to watch hockey on Versus on Tuesday evening and a tech came out on Thursday. The tech that came out was the same one from six weeks ago, and he had no fix for me other than a replacement receiver. He thought it COULD be a bad hard drive. A replacement 722 is on the way, I asked for a new one and was told by dish that IF one is avaiable they will send a new one, I won't hold my breath. The tech told me that if the receiver doesn't fix the issue, they would be back out to replace every single cable from both dishes to both receivers. I should tell you that it happens on all three satellites, HD channels and SD channels. I have a DP501(SD) that is unaffected by this issue.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?? What steps should I take that I haven't taken yet? I'd appreciate any help with this issue.

The fact that you have a DP501 that is unaffected makes it definitely a signal strength issue. Have your dish peaked.

Thanks for both of the replies.

I have thought the same thing regarding the signal strength. I am getting ~75 for 110/119 on T.P. 16 & 21. For the 61.5 the strength is ~45 on T.P. 16 and ~60 on T.P. 21. The tech told me that those are above average signal strength for the three satellites. I just don't know if those numbers are really that good or not. I do know that the tech re-peaked both times he was here and wasn't able to get better numbers for the 61.5 dish. He really tried to think of any solution so he doesn't have to come back a third time.

Highdefjeff, what sort of signal strength should I expect for my zip code, which is 14304?

Thanks for both of the replies.

I have thought the same thing regarding the signal strength. I am getting ~75 for 110/119 on T.P. 16 & 21. For the 61.5 the strength is ~45 on T.P. 16 and ~60 on T.P. 21. The tech told me that those are above average signal strength for the three satellites. I just don't know if those numbers are really that good or not. I do know that the tech re-peaked both times he was here and wasn't able to get better numbers for the 61.5 dish. He really tried to think of any solution so he doesn't have to come back a third time.

Highdefjeff, what sort of signal strength should I expect for my zip code, which is 14304?

Don't worry, most people including technicians have no clue what good numbers are...great signal meter improvement, huh? :eek:

I don't want to comment on 110/119 signals until you let me know the strength of transponder 11 for both of them.

Unfortunately, the technician may have been correct for where you live regarding 61.5.. From what I could find, I believe that you are outside of the spot-beam coverage for 61.5. Not even on the edge, but outside the spot coverage.

From what I can see, Dish should be installing larger dishes where you live for 61.5.

Wow, I'm shocked regarding the 61.5. The signal strength for 110, transponder 11 is 73. The 119, transponder 11, the strength is 75.

I'm really thinking, based on your information, that a new receiver will do absolutely nothing to correct the problem. I'm wondering if dish, or intertech(the local tech company), will come out and install a larger dish for the 61.5?

The signals for 110/119 are decent...but this is so hard to say with never having seen your system or peaking a dish in your area.

What is really cool is the neat example of the truth about digital systems in your video!

Digital's "All-or-nothing" model is dying a very slow death.

Complete system function, right through PICTURE QUALITY is all a function of signal integrity. (Signal integrity is what your meter shows and it is directly related to signal strength.)

Your HDTV is only as good as your signal. Thanks for your video!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)