Playa del Carmen - Mexico - HELP

ergo1

Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
new york
Dear Techno Wizards,

I am a newbie to this forum but I didn't know where to turn for well thought out information. So with that said, here goes....

Like a sponge I like to soak up new and different concepts. I am new to the world of satellites but I am eager to learn. I live in Playa del Carmen almost a quarter of the year but otherwise I reside in New York. I pay an extremely large fee to Dish TV for my viewing pleasure and choose to use it where it suits me. During my time spent in Mexico I bring my receiver with me and use it as I would in the US. Now according to my wife, our DISH signal has become almost non-existent in Mexico. We have three dishes (1.1 meters) pointed at 61.5, 110 and 119. My satellite guy in Playa says get a bigger dish and that should do it. On the other hand my satellite guy in the US tells me to get a new Dish 1000 dish and use 61.5, 72 and 77. Don't know who or what to believe so I hope someone on this forum can enlighten me with a technical discussion. I like to understand it all.

Welcome

Dear Techno Wizards,

I am a newbie to this forum but I didn't know where to turn for well thought out information. So with that said, here goes....

Like a sponge I like to soak up new and different concepts. I am new to the world of satellites but I am eager to learn. I live in Playa del Carmen almost a quarter of the year but otherwise I reside in New York. I pay an extremely large fee to Dish TV for my viewing pleasure and choose to use it where it suits me. During my time spent in Mexico I bring my receiver with me and use it as I would in the US. Now according to my wife, our DISH signal has become almost non-existent in Mexico. We have three dishes (1.1 meters) pointed at 61.5, 110 and 119. My satellite guy in Playa says get a bigger dish and that should do it. On the other hand my satellite guy in the US tells me to get a new Dish 1000 dish and use 61.5, 72 and 77. Don't know who or what to believe so I hope someone on this forum can enlighten me with a technical discussion. I like to understand it all.

:welcome I can answer that the 1000.4 won't work in MEX at all. TOO far S.

That is where I went on my honeymoon with my ex-wife. I had lots of fun there.

Digi can probably post you some links to the footprints of the eastern and western arc satellites if he glances this. That would definitely give you some guidance.

Thank you Whatchal 1 for your quick reply and welcome to this forum!

Ok, I'm sure that given the number of your posts you are most likely right about the DISH 1000 satellite dish but I am curious about the why part. Is it that the transponder which sit on the satellites are beaming towards a specific location, or that the satellites beam a signal that if "turned down" will not allow for the receivers in fringe areas to pick up the signal, or is there some other explanation.

That is where I went on my honeymoon with my ex-wife. I had lots of fun there.

Digi can probably post you some links to the footprints of the eastern and western arc satellites if he glances this. That would definitely give you some guidance.

Hi Cditty:

We love the lifestyle in Playa as well - now if I could just figure out how to give up my day job and support myself down there, I'd be one happy camper.

Can you tell me where I find the eastern and western arc satellites for Dish TV. Will this give me a clue as to the right equipment and satellite location we need to get better satellite reception.

Any information will be much appreciated!

Here's a thread that has been running on Mexico signal problems. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/213709-mexico-signal-issues.html

I read this link before posting. The problem with this post is it refers to Mexico City which is almost as far away from me as California is to New York (maybe a slight exaggeration) but you get my point. I am about 200 miles south west of Cuba. I think that I should be able to pick up a Dish signal to Key West Florida. But because of my limited knowledge, I don't know how to proceed. Again, any information is golden.

I can tell you that DNs bleedover into Mexico has decreased significantly...

DJdish:

I looked at Wiki for DN acronyms without any luck. Does DN stand for digital noise or network?

In looking at your mini bio, I see that your location is Mexico City, does this same issue with "DN bleedover" effect me in Playa?

DJdish:

I looked at Wiki for DN acronyms without any luck. Does DN stand for digital noise or network?

In looking at your mini bio, I see that your location is Mexico City, does this same issue with "DN bleedover" effect me in Playa?

No, he means Dish Network. With the new satellites, the footprints (ie, signal coverage) is much more targeted towards the Continental US and Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico.

I feel 99.9 percent positive that their is no way you will be able to use a 1K4 or 1K2 Dish in Mexico. You will be on three separate large Dishes. Good news is, most of the new satellites are up, so if you can get a working setup, it should work for years.

Dear Techno Wizards,

We have three dishes (1.1 meters) pointed at 61.5, 110 and 119. My satellite guy in Playa says get a bigger dish and that should do it. On the other hand my satellite guy in the US tells me to get a new Dish 1000 dish and use 61.5, 72 and 77.

Please note sat 77 is for Dish Mexico, completely different thing.
On that thread called Mexico signal issues, I remember there were some reports from forum members in Cancun, (north of Playa) you may want to check their reports, (dish size and signals) but I kind of remembered reports of loosing many tps (trasponders) from Sat 119 in the last transition couple of months ago,

Understand

I read this link before posting. The problem with this post is it refers to Mexico City which is almost as far away from me as California is to New York (maybe a slight exaggeration) but you get my point. I am about 200 miles south west of Cuba. I think that I should be able to pick up a Dish signal to Key West Florida. But because of my limited knowledge, I don't know how to proceed. Again, any information is golden.

I understand that you are in a much different area but the signals are now more shaped for the conus of the US. The answers from the people in Mexico are going to be a lot of help in that you see that they are either going to much larger dishes or not getting enough usable signal that far S.

I am a little closer to Playa here in Tabasco state. I had a 1.8m antenna on 61.5 and 119 and also a 2.4m for 110. After the two satellite changes at 61.5 and 119, I was left with a system that no longer received the channels I watched the most like networks on 119 and HD channels Palladia, Sci, Food and HGTV. I have given up as I have already moved up as big as I can realistically go with the little bit I would gain from adding 2 more 2.4m antennas! I am using Shaw now and, although I am not thrilled with the overall channel lineup or the slightly high price or the poor HD DVR, at least I have HD networks from Detroit and Seattle as well as HD NFL Sunday Ticket on the way. I will wait until I hear someone is getting at least this in Mexico before deciding on spending yet more money chasing the Dish fringe service here again.

The larger dishes in Mexico are necessary because you are only receiving the refraction off the aperture on the satellite TP's, not the direct signal.

Now that the new satellites are up with better apertures, there is less signal refraction and therefore less signal of any kind to be seen outside the normal foorprint.

A bigger dish may bring you enough signal for stable reception.

An D1000.2 or a D1000.4 will definitely not work outside the satellite footprint.

Jayrey,

Since I am in no rush I will wait until October and make a decision based on the collective experiences of the other satellite users in the Playa area. I agree with a lot of other posters that Dish is alienating quite a few subscribers with their current change in coverage. With my Dish monthly cost skyrocketing it will be an easy decision and divorce for me if the system doesn't work. Time will tell.

The larger dishes in Mexico are necessary because you are only receiving the refraction off the aperture on the satellite TP's, not the direct signal.

Now that the new satellites are up with better apertures, there is less signal refraction and therefore less signal of any kind to be seen outside the normal foorprint.

A bigger dish may bring you enough signal for stable reception.

An D1000.2 or a D1000.4 will definitely not work outside the satellite footprint.

I am now clearly convinced that using the smaller dish will not work. In reading the voluminous Mexico posts it is clear that I need at least a 1.8M steel dish with top equipment to have a chance of capturing the satellite signal.

Is there any difference in going after satellite 72 or 129 in my quest for better satellite reception?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts