Please Read: Uplink Report Update by Scott

If nothing else, it confirms that DISH Network has the capacity to add HD channels.

I will leave it to the experts to judge that (I have heard alternately they do, they don't, the uplinks aren't really uplinks, just slates, etc.).

Either way it doesn't reflect well on DN, although I suppose if they didn't have the capacity right now things would be more understandable.

Actually what the uplink activity and hints and tidbits are doing is creating doubt in those that would have probably already shut off and moved to someone else with more HD.. In other words it's helping plug the hole in the bucket. But sooner or later they are going to have to do more than just uplink things or they are going to be uplinking to an empty audience.

That's the friggin truth! They need to throw a couple of bones out here. I am a staunch Dish supporter and I am willing to put up with a lot, but this kind of crap... If it keeps happening, while DirectTV is doing their HD additions one after another, then the writing is on the wall.

Nice statement Scott - although if it took an hour to type you may need to check out Typing Tutor.

I added a link to your mainpage announcement.

Nice statement Scott - although if it took an hour to type you may need to check out Typing Tutor.
It wasnt the typing that slowed me down, it was the number of phone calls I got as I was typing it. :)

Seem like a lot of folks at Dish found their cell phones today. :D

I'm just having fun with him. I'm sure he's busy working. Here in Michigan we are getting hammered with snow and have little work to do.

We got hammered with snow also, but I still get to work from home. I started a 6 and worked until 11 and then went out and shoveled half of my driveway which only took an hour and a half. Now back to work.

I added a link to your mainpage announcement.

Nah... Scott doesn't need that. It probably took him the hour to find the right word to describe the other site. "Scum" Maybe Scott needs a Thesaurus. :D :D :D

Technical question

These maps are sometimes called the data stream. A number of folks have figured out how to read this data stream and extract the information from it...
So are you saying that the "uplink" report is generated from the data stream (downlink) from the satellite? If so, why does Dish send data about all Dish satellites to and from all Dish satellites, rather than uplinking only the map specific to a single satellite?

I was under the impression that Digiblur lived somewhere near a Dish uplink center and was actually receiving a sidelobe of an uplink antenna beam. If that were the case, he could see the data that was uplinked to any satellite from one location. (Of course that doesn't make much sense either since Dish has more than one uplink facility.)

Yeah will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of weeks..

Good to know Dish still has a heartbeat! The sooner they add usa and sci fi the sooner I can switch to the all hd pack! Thanks again Scott!

So are you saying that the "uplink" report is generated from the data stream (downlink) from the satellite? If so, why does Dish send data about all Dish satellites to and from all Dish satellites, rather than uplinking only the map specific to a single satellite?

I was under the impression that Digiblur lived somewhere near a Dish uplink center and was actually receiving a sidelobe of an uplink antenna beam. If that were the case, he could see the data that was uplinked to any satellite from one location. (Of course that doesn't make much sense either since Dish has more than one uplink facility.)

System table information is broadcast on every transponder. The way the system works is when you tune to a transponder, the receiver reads the tables and uses them to determine if it needs to retune to another TP if you change channels etc. Some transponders have additional information, such as the 2 day EPG, and the 10 day EPG. Others contain the firmware update streams to update the receiver firmware.

It is also possible to uplink video and audio without any pointers to them in the tables. To access those streams, one would have to manually define their own table. I would suggest doing a google for the DVB standard for more info, which is what Dish uses. Since it is a standard, software has been written to parse the tables and translate the bits into meaningful information.

MOJO would be good if they had HDTV MLB games again like they used to from NESN, CSN-Philly, the FSN regionals and so forth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts