Positioner wiring

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK, it looks like the two wires go *under* the little plastic thingy, which is partly under the magnetic wheel? So, that means it doesn't weld anywhere, it's just held, somehow, by the plastic piece? And it does its job by *sensing* the magnatic movement of the wheel, by proximity (and therefore no contact)?

Is this it?

I wonder if this how it should go...

Attachments

• DSCF7398.JPG
    DSCF7398.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF7393.JPG
    DSCF7393.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 152
I wonder if this how it should go...
Thanks for the email.
Unfortunately, I've never dealt with a motor like this one.

Your nice wiring diagram show the internal (non-connected) black and gray wires should go to the reed switch
It is a little glass capsule, with a wire on each end.
From all the pictures, it looks like the capsule is molded into a more rugged plastic housing.
None of the pictures are clear, but I think the plastic block should have a wire or terminal on each end to connect the black and gray wire to.
If you could remove the black molded reed switch module and show us a picture of the bottom, that would help.
Alternately, look underneath, and solder your black/gray wires to it, if possible.

Anole, unfortunately that plastic piece does not have a terminal, or any signs of where said wires connect to. I'm guessing the wires are supposed to go under the plastic thingy and be held in place by it. Now, conceptually speaking, is this how a reed sensor works - two sensor wires *near* a magnetic wheel, wires which sense the change in polarity of said wheel as the dented wheel rotates underneath?

The wheel has about 8 poles of a magnet inside it.
It rotates over a reed switch (two flat metallic reeds which snap together when subject to a magnetic field).
Without seeing the bottom of the black molded item in question, I can't offer any further info on how the wires connect to it.
Perhaps someone who's disassembled one of these motors can offer a better hint.
The pictures just don't convey enough info to make an educated guess.

It I take off the plastic casing, I'm afraid it's going to be hell to put it back together, judging by the number of dented wheels inside... lol

More pics

Anole, here's a few more pics. You can see the the little parts and how they *seem* to go. The little plastic bar does not have any terminals on it. The last picture shows the assembly with another plastic cover on the magnetic wheel. Now, if I were to test this as is (by connecting all the wires out of the V-box), would the wheels just spin if I keep east or west button depressed? Because before (without the black/gray wires connected), it just moves one click at a time. As you said elsewhere, it basically says "I can't sense the movement, so I'm stopping for safety reasons"...

Attachments

• DSCF7404.JPG
    DSCF7404.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF7407.JPG
    DSCF7407.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF7406.JPG
    DSCF7406.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF7401.JPG
    DSCF7401.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF7409.JPG
    DSCF7409.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF7403.JPG
    DSCF7403.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 143
let me find my reed sensor and take a pic . --> you must remove the reed sensor from the plastic case and reconnect the wire ends and then put all back together .

Thanks for the pics, gabshere. Unfortunately, my little plastic piece does not have any terminals to solder the wires to. On your, though, does that piece mount in front of the magnetic wheel as is?

If you can not solder the wires back on, what choice do you have?
Unless you have a Spare Arm laying around.

Last edited:
The issue is that I don't see any evidence of them *ever* being soldered... which makes the question be: is there an alternative way to connect these wires?

Because they are broken off at the surface of the plastic - look close. Might be able to scrape enough plastic away to re-solder to the leads. If not, you'll need a new switch.

New sensor

I may need a new one of these, then...

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 120
The important thing to make sure of is that your magnet wheel will activate the reed switch without damaging it. If the reed switch is for a stronger magnet, it wont work, if it is for a weaker magnet the reed switch may get damaged over time. This is a low voltage sensing circuit, probably 5v to 36v, depending on the receiver/positioner. The switch is carrying very low current, most likely less than 200mA. If someone with the same actuator can supply the manufacturer and model number of the switch, you would be best off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)