Post your 622 Reviews Here!

Still waiting for my install on Tuesday, but I had to plug it in and play with it. I wish there were an HD demo channel (if there is I couldn't find it) but otherwise it looked pretty good.

I did stumble across one possible bug or perhaps "feature". Since it was not activated yet I didn't bother to plug the phone line in. After it downloaded the software and I played with it for a while, I accidentally powered it off. When I powered it back on it prompted me to plug in the phone line. i could not get that display off of my screen. It was FORCING me to plug in a phone line. Perhaps this is intentional (if so, I'm guessing the $5 charge is no longer relavent). Once I plugged the phone in, it got past the prompt and it was fine. I tried to repeat but I'm guessing similar to the 522, it will only check once per day at first power-up.

the phone line message that CANNOT BE DEFEATED? Normal? So if my phone line goes down during another hurricane I will be stuck with that stupid message and won't be able to use my dish? I find that difficult to believe.

The message...sure. But not being able to tell it to go away? Your only option is to hook up a line and say "Try again". It doesn't cancel, powering off doesn't do anything (in fact it won't power off), resetting doesn't help. No, I find this difficult to believe that this is the intended behavior to not have a Cancel button or an Ignore or Try again next time button or something.

If this was intentional, Dish had seriously better rethink this especially the way they are using Hurricanes as a selling point down here. (I think COMCAST may still be trying to get people back :) I was back even before power after resetting my dish. Phones were out for a week longer than power at my house.

Perhaps this was a 1 time thing or maybe because the dish was not activated yet. I'm going to keep an eye on this. If I see this again I'm going to have to escalate this as a potential safety issue (having access to information during an emergency is critical and Dish is part of my recovery plan...)

I didn't get the phone message screen till I was on the phone activating the receiver. Of course couldn't check anything till after I ended the call as the phone was obviously busy. I had to call back because the csr did everything but actually activate the 622. She took off the receivers I am returning to E* and selling, changed the programing package, (making sure the NY HD locals were turned on), everything except to activate the 622. Lucky it was early in the afternoon so the wait on hold was not too long. Haven't had a single problem (with the exception of learning the correct use of the 622). It seems to be working better than I could have hoped. The dvr and search functions are a lot different than the 921, but easy to figure out. And man is this unit fast (scrolling through the guide, getting to DishHome, setting up timers, ect. Will post anything else I see. Only real confusing thing is posted under "OTA and the 622". Something I was really not expecting, but it works out pretty great. Later.

I've had my 622 working for four days now and haven't encountered a single problem with it. I don't have that double image on the screen that was described as weird ghosting, there's no clicking in the audio, no reboot problems... no problems at all. It did reboot after I spent close to an hour making up my four Favorites lists, but it recoved okay and all four lists are there.

This receiver has so many great features! I've scheduled several recordings and it's worked perfectly for every one. It even found a scheduling error where a program with two minutes added to the end overlapped the start of the next recording. Decisions, decisions... do I miss the end of the long show or the beginning of the next one? I hate these off the clock end and start times!

I love the EPG mode where it shows three hours and five channels on the screen. The EPG is also much, much better than on my 811. I actually has 9 days of data!

The surround sound digital audio sounds great. I've watched a couple of concerts on RAVE and they sound really good!

I could go on and on, but I'll just say "I'm lovin' it!" (Where've I heard that before?) Back to learning more about my 622's great features!

Larry
SF

larrykenney said:
I've had my 622 working for four days now and haven't encountered a single problem with it. I don't have that double image on the screen that was described as weird ghosting, there's no clicking in the audio, no reboot problems... no problems at all.

Larry
SF

JINX !!!! :p

johnmc_76 said:
Codeman, when I saw your first picture with the 622 stuffed in that tight space with, what appears to be, you receiver right below it, it looked like a recipe for trouble to me. Putting the unit which generates the most heat on the bottom of the stack usually isn't a great idea.

For cooling options, I would recommend Active Thermal at www.activethermal.com
Actually, the 622 is on top of my Pioneer DVD-333. The receiver is the black Onkyo THX at the bottom. When my new entertainment center comes (I complained about the installers screwing up both my piers and shelf when they brought it out; they are replacing the whole unit in March) the 622 will move to the bottom left "square" by itself. I'm taking the glass out of the doors and putting a Middle Atlantic UQFP-2 (http://middleatlantic.com/rackac/cooling/uqfp.htm) behind the 622.:cool: For now, if I leave the door open, she doesnt get very hot.

I got my receiver on Friday. I pulled my 522 and plugged it up in it's place. I did the initial power on and download as listed by others.

I called to activate the unit and the first rep saw I had an install date and said he could not activate until the installer came. I said "are you sure?" he replies “yes”, I hung up.

Second CSR said I would need 129 in order to get the new channels. I assured her the channels were mirrored on 61.5. She asked me to hold and came back 8 minutes later and got me activated. She did cancel my install first.

Now, the picture and function of the 622 are great. I had the whole weekend to play with it and found three issues.

1st: The picture would start to stutter at times. When a smooth pan was displayed it had a jerky motion. This did not last the entire weekend and may have been a sat issue. I tried a check switch and reboot but nothing helped. When I went back later the problem was gone.

2nd: I recorded a few shows. During play back the digital sound feed would drop out. I would pause the movie and play again and it would come right back. This did not happen on everything recorded. This is the optical digital output connected to a Harman Kardon receiver.

3rd: I did have a time or two when the unit would stop responding. A reset fixed it without deleting any recorded events ect.

Pros:

I will tell you that the output to TV2 in my bedroom is far, far superior to my 522.
I watched SD and HD material live and recorded and was blown away at how much better it is. My 522 had terrible sound on this connection. When I switched units I did not change any cables so it is definitely the unit that is better. I also like the fact that I could tune into tuner 1 or 2.

The menus are fast as are the interactive areas.

The picture is better than my 811. Both are connected via component inputs directly to the same television. It seems a tad sharper.

OTA is far superior to the 811. No comparison.

There is a guide display that really displays a lot of info per screen that the 811 lacks. I can only hope that all future models will have it. I like to maximize my 65’’ screen usage.

I am very pleased with this unit and glad I got up early on February 1st to order it

Now of course you did not think the upgrade was going to be that easy did you?
I upgraded my programming to HD Platinum. My 811 of course did not get the message. I called a total of four times over the weekend. First all the channels were red. Then after they were available it would ask for my password in order to view it. I have not ever had a password set on this unit. The CSRs would say I have sent a signal to unlock everything, wait an hour or so. After three tries over two days it finally worked.

All is well now, oh wait I have not plugged the 522 back up yet…….

DucTape said:
Nothing like the smell of a new peice of equipment heating up fo the first time eh.:)
No doubt, I was like "It smells electical in here. A little too electrical." :)

120inna55 said:
POSSIBLE BUG ALERT: STRANGE IMAGE GHOSTING PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY AFTER REBOOT. WORKAROUND IS TO CHANGE THE RESOLUTION IN THE HDTV SETUP MENU TO ANYTHING BUT THE PRESENT SETTING. THEN YOU CAN SWITCH BACK TO THE PREFERRED RESOLUTION.

This is a problem with HDMI and certain brands/models of television. Your TV is forgetting what resolution it is set to when it powers off. when it powers back up it is reverting to the default resolution. switching resolutions on the receiver allows the tv to synch back up with the receiver.

johnmc_76 said:
Codeman, when I saw your first picture with the 622 stuffed in that tight space with, what appears to be, you receiver right below it, it looked like a recipe for trouble to me. Putting the unit which generates the most heat on the bottom of the stack usually isn't a great idea.

For cooling options, I would recommend Active Thermal at www.activethermal.com
Yikes, the System II Rack Mount fan panel is $2329.95 - I'll pass!

thecodeman said:
Yikes, the System II Rack Mount fan panel is $2329.95 - I'll pass!

Good Lord! :eek: We manufacture the attached assembly for one of our customers for only $250. It is rumored to float off the table due to the amount of air being pushed out during test. It is mounted in some huge industrial rack system.

Sounds like these guys are marking up their products with some good margin!

Attachments

• Fan Tray.JPG
    Fan Tray.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 226
My first post here. I just had my 622 and dish 1000 installed on friday, and I'm getting awfull signal strength. Low 80's for 119 and 110, 56 for 129, and thats on a sunny day. On my old dish 500, 119 was around 100. The tech is comming out tomm to look things over, but I'm not to hopeful. 129 has a beautiful picture but pixles up and freezes often, I have to reboot the 622 to get it to come back.

Now my wife has called and said the 622 will not turn off, the tv is not getting a picture or sound, and the unit is really hot...... so much for HD...

Shamus46 said:
I’m also getting the popping sound. Last night the sound on receiver input 2 was out of sync. Today it’s just popping on receiver input 2. I also need to turn the volume up on the HD Channels then turn it down on the SD channels. Please let me now if you learn anything.
I just talked to an advanced tech, checking on my 622 (not shipped yet :( ), and this is a known issue. Expect it to be fixed within 2-3 sw releases.

No timeframes given.

LER

Got my 622 installed yesterday afternoon. Tech did a nice job, was on-time, and spent the time to make sure it was done correctly (110/119 was 95/100+ before and was around 75 after, he went back up and adjusted so it is now 95/105)

I like the unit generally better than the 522, but I do have a couple of issues:

1) on most local OTA HD channels, when they are broadcasting SD 4x3 over HD (format is 16x9 with side-bars), along the top of the image is a flickering distortion. This happened on 2 4x3 HD sets at 1080i (actually at all settings)

2) When using the SEARCH functionality, it disables the current show (and isn't even recording it). I see this as a regression in functionality. i can't be watching a show and search for other instances of it w/out losing what I'm watching (at least live). I'm assuming if I hit RECORD i won't lose it but haven't tried it yet...

I had my 622 installed yesterday. It took a really long time, but it wasn't the installers fault. The feed I had from my superdish on 105 went out about 2 weeks ago and I thought it was and LNB or switch. It turned out to be the cable buried somewhere under ground.

After installing the 1000 dish and running a cable above ground, he found out that he could not get a very strong signal on 129. He looked all around my yard to find a good spot for the dish where he could pick up all 3 satellites and could not find one. Finally he installed another dish 500 to pick up 129 at a different location.

They would not give me a DPP44 switch, but we were able to use diplexors and only 2 RG6 cables coming up to the 622. One line carrying my OTA feed and one satellite signal and the other carrying the TV2 out back down to the distribution center in the basement and the other satellite feed.

The 622 is working like a champ, I am really happy with it so far. The OTA tuner is much better than the 811.

I was also told that I owned my 811 (I know I didn't buy it I was leasing it) and the installer told me I could keep it and do what very I like with it.

Got my 622 last night and got it all working just in time for primetime TV. Everything works great so far. I like it a lot better than my HD Tivo. Not much of a review here, but so far no issues, other than the box is warmer than a HD Tivo. Probably will fab up a fan cooler plate for it.

Another tidbit... I just tested my 622 with my VOIP. I use voicepulse, and have my bandwidth saver set to use G711u codec. Tried a dialout with no prefix, it failed. Put in *99, and it immediately worked. YAY! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts