Potential New Dtv Customer Question RE: Equipment Choice(s)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leo2xz

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Tennessee
Hope someone gets this answered quickly. My equipment install is scheduled for tomorrow and I was wondering if I have any "choice" as to what model of HD DVR I will get. I will have need for two HD DVR's in my home. I have been doing a little research and from what I am reading a new customer only gets whatever the installer has on his truck. I have also read that the HR24 is a 'better' HD DVR that some of the older models. I have also read that it is possible for a new customer to get a 'refurbished' receiver if that is all the installer has on his truck. Since I am incurring a 2 yr contract I have my opinion on what I think I ought to get, but what should I expect? Appreciate any helpful feedback from members here. Thanks!

The only HD DVR that you will guaranteed to get if you order it is the HMC (HR34...the 5 tuner)

Honestly with the new HD GUI upgrade the HD DVR's all are speedy. I had 2 R22's (which are like the HR21 but can be used on a SD only account) and pre HD GUI they were slow. Go the upgrade and they are very fast

Thanks for the quick reply! I have requested MVR service as well as equipment that is 3D capable so maybe things will go well on the equipment side.

IF you requested MRV they **normally** give you a HR24

The receivers (non DVR) there really is no difference in models. The H25 is smaller than the others but the H21,22,23,24 are pretty much the same)

From what I understand, if you requested Whole Home DVR service, you are almost guarenteed HR-24's. On a new install also request a Cinema Connection Kit, as I believe are free on a new install but cost $ for an upgrade.

Iceberg: Thanks. I am hoping for the HR24/H24 pair but it sounds like the non dvr could be a different model. Should I be expecting new in the box equipment? Also, the dish, should I expect a SWM dish?

DVDDAD: Thanks. You are correct. I just read that in another post, thanks for reinforcing that CC kit. I will follow thru on that. Save some $ when we can!

You'll get a SWM setup. Those honestly are almost guaranteed (almost) ;)
The HD receiver I know they've given out lots of H23's which are nice machines. But now with the H25 out (its a much smaller receiver) I've heard they give these out and those are mostly new.

My H23 was a refurb (said it right on the box it was shipped in) but it looked dang near brand new. My HR34 was brand new ;)

They still use the older DVRs, even on new installs. A CSR told me her mom had a new install and they gave her a HR21. I guess it depends on what the local warehouse has. My HR21 had a hard drive failure a few days ago and the tech had a new HR24 with him as the replacement.

You get what you get when you order new service through DIRECTV (DIRECTV typically doesn't allow you to initiate service through them with equipment acquired from a third party). To guarantee what you get, you need to acquire the equipment and schedule installation through an authorized retailer.

We can present anecdotal information, theorize and quote statistics but in the end, there's no certainty predicting what's going to happen to you. Actually, there is one thing that is certain: you'll get a large (22.5" x 32.5") Slimline dish of with one of four functionally different LNB assemblies. As Iceberg points out, it isn't even certain that the dish will have an SWiM LNB.

If someone is coming on as a new customer, the HR34 for $100 is a STEAL. You would be guranteed equipment that way, and you will definitely get a SWM install. Not to mention the extra three tuners over a HR2x series.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)