PQ & Resolution: SOLVED!!!

Jahbig

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
1080i NATIVE RESOLUTION without the SD STRETCH!

To SET 1080i in NATIVE RESOLUTION WITHOUT the SD Stretch...

1. Enter system settings from the Setting Menu.
2. Enter INSTALLER MENU
3. Enter INSTALLATION WIZARD
4. Enter SET OUTPUT RESOLUTION
5. Set output to 1080i; Press OK AND REMAIN at that screen. You must be at
the screen that allows you to change the STB resolution using the colored buttons.
6. Open door housing red button and press until the four line lights ALL
illuminate indicating native resolution. Notice as you press the
red button, the bottom left lettering remain at 1080i through each TV screen resolution change. Press OK. BACK out of all menus or press WATCH after exiting INSTALLER'S MENU.

Following these steps will lock in 1080i in NATIVE RESOLUTION for HD channels and allows the STB to operate on SD channels with much better clarity WITHOUT the STRETCH. Also repeat steps after rebooting.

P.S. For OTA channels a DB8 from Antennas Direct is the ticket. I'm 65
miles from the LA tower on Mount Wilson with mountains and whatever. I picked up 40 channels with a signal of 90+.

Vooming and Lovin' IT........

The red button and the output menu setting do the same thing. They will both set the output resolution of the STB. Only the red button can set the STB to native mode, all amber lights lit. In native mode, the STB will pass through the channel's resolution as is from the source either 1080i/720p for high def. or 480i/480p for std def.

Voom doesn't upconvert SD to 1080i. The STB upconverts to 1080i if it is set at 1080i fixed resolution. If Voom upconverted SD to 1080i before the satellite it would use to much bandwidth per channel on the satellite's transponders.

One note on locking at 1080i, the stb will stretch your SD to fill the screen. I leave my pj in Native or Auto so my pj will switch to the resolution of the actual broadcast and I can control the stretch modes with my pj. I realize some TV's won't accept a 720p input, but right now there are NO channels on Voom that are 720p since they broadcast ESPNHD at 1080i. The only other channel you may have to worry about is your local OTA ABC, but for that you could always manually change the resolution with the red button.

I have my STB set to output only 1080i and the picture size set to pillar in System Settings>Picture Format>Narrow to Wide. This will prevent stretching of SD channels.

Resolution

Jahbig said:
To SET 1080i in NATIVE RESOLUTION WITHOUT the SD Stretch...

1. Enter system settings from the Setting Menu.
2. Enter INSTALLER MENU
3. Enter INSTALLATION WIZARD
4. Enter SET OUTPUT RESOLUTION
5. Set output to 1080i; Press OK AND REMAIN at that screen. You must be at
the screen that allows you to change the STB resolution using the colored buttons.
6. Open door housing red button and press until the four line lights
illuminate indicating native resolution. Notice as you press the
red button the bottom left lettering remain at 1080i through each TV screen resolution change. BACK out of all menus or press WATCH after exiting INSTALLER'S MENU.

Following these steps will lock in 1080i in NATIVE RESOLUTION for HD channels and allows the STB to operate on SD channels with much better clarity WITHOUT the STRETCH. Also repeat steps after rebooting.

P.S. For OTA channels a DB8 from Antennas Direct is the ticket. I'm 65
miles from the LA tower on Mount Wilson with mountains and whatever. I picked up 40 channels with a signal of 90+.

Vooming and Lovin' IT........

Is it necessary to reboot before going through the steps above? Also, do the four rows of red lights on the STB need to remain on or do they just light temporarily - which is what happened when I tried this. My effort did not seem to take.

Martin21

There no need to reboot.....follow steps thru 6...the four light will blink momentarily
then press OK to set the 1080i for the HD channels....the SD channels will look
clearer....If you don't press OK as the final step the STB will convert back to
720p......

This is only for those wanting to use Native Resolution......

It's hard to tell 1080i from 720p on without testing.....I've notice the when you enter
the "Set Output Resolution" screen after you press OK the bottom of the next screen
ask you to 'Press OK to continue in 720p".....that alone led me to believe that in
Native Resolution the STB want lock on 1080i...because the HD channnel don't look
as clear as when to lock the STB on 1080i WITHOUT Native Resolution.

These steps are for those who want to use 1080i in Native Resolution. The STB tends to revert to 720p in Native Resolution....why?......design glitch.....Try the steps and
see.....be sure to press OK after the Four line lights illuminate momentarily.

I agree with your statement...except when you use the red button to set Native
mode the STB output to 720p....how do I know?....Quick Test....Set Native
Resolution using the manual red button.....Go to the Installer Menu....Enter screen
"Set Output Resolution" it should say, "1080i DVI" press OK...look to bottom left
of screen...if it say "Press OK to continue in 720p" then follow the steps I stated....
earlier, if not.....You're the Man..................and Don't forget to press OK after
the four line lights illuminate.............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)