PQ WLBZ (2) Bangor

bacchus101

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Ok.....so I just got the local feed from Bangor hours ago and I am ready to complain!;)

Out of the 5 locals only WLBZ seems to have an issue and I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem. I see "stripes" moving slowly up the screen and the image is desaturated in comparison to the DNS feed from NY.

I am getting a 124% signal on that spotbeam. The PQ is the same on both my DP301 and PVR508.

I have done a lot of reading on these forums and I am under the impression that
the PQ from locals often is bad.

Should I:

1. Send an e-mail to DISH and complain.
2. Give them a chance to tweak things.
3. Just except the fact that the PQ will suck and be happy I am getting the channel in the first place.
4. Seek out a "vacation home" further south.

If all your other Bangor locals look good, call the Chief Engineer of WLBZ, who may be reached at WCSH in Portland, where he is also the engineer there. Typically, picture quality issues for locals originate at the point of entry for all stations in the market, rather than being a satellite provider issue. You may wish to explore getting your locals in digital-perfect picture quality over-the-air via an outdoor antenna with a used set-top DTV converter box availlable on e-bay for around a hundred dollars. It's not high-definition unless you have a high-definition television set, but the standard-definition digital picture from these is sharper than the best standard-definition available anywhere on satellite at present, and you get multiple program channels from each station where they are providing them, which you do not get from the satellite local feeds. WABI, for example, provides CBS network programming on one of them, and CW network programming on another. Keep your satellite, though, for your other programming not available from your local network affiliates (e.g. ESPN, etc.)

the folks at dishquality@echostar.com are quite responsive! They may take a little time to get back to you, but each of the 3 times I sent a problem, they e-mailed back to either ask for more details or to tell me they are working on it. They also told me when they got the problem fixed each time.

Readers, please use this e-mail ONLY if you have a PQ or audio problem with your local channels.

See ya
Tony

Typically, picture quality issues for locals originate at the point of entry for all stations in the market, rather than being a satellite provider issue

This is not the case as WLBZ is the only station in the market that I am having an issue with. OTA is not an option.

When Duluth, MN locals came online we had some issues for the 1st couple of days...after that it was fixed.
Dish is probably working with the stations ot make sure the picture is the best it can be :)

When Duluth, MN locals came online we had some issues for the 1st couple of days...after that it was fixed.
Dish is probably working with the stations ot make sure the picture is the best it can be :)

All is well today. Issue resolved.

Thanks for the help!