Preparing for hopper

Sweet. Looking forward to it. So I assume they will need to pull a new line from the satellite since the current one goes into a splitter and from there to all my boxes. Or can they just extend it with the bullet connector like before.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sweet. Looking forward to it. So I assume they will need to pull a new line from the satellite since the current one goes into a splitter and from there to all my boxes. Or can they just extend it with the bullet connector like before.
They can use just a single line from your dish if they install a Solo Node right on the dish:
https://rvseniormoments.files.wordp..._threetvs_hopper_2_joey_hdhdhd_single_rg6.pdf

Ignore the Winegard Travler stuff in the diagram -- it's for an RV.

You could not swap Hopper locations as it needs the original satellite feed. Its common for customers to assume that it could be done. Unfortunately it can't In most cases, one or all units will stop working.
While I appreciate your cautions about the dangers of carelessly swapping things around, it is absolutely possible if you do it right. It may require significant rewiring but it can be done.

For those who don't understand the vagaries of satellite cabling and how MoCA works, it is probably better to have it done.

OK, got installed today and a few strange things happened compared to what I expected.

For starters, he said the joeys don't use Ethernet, only coax. Using Ethernet is bad and can take down my home network. He also said the wifi portion is a private wifi setup.

Second, he said not to connect the phone jack. He said it breaks all the time and causes issues with the hopper when the software upgrades.

Third, he said netflix on the joey streams from the hopper, but when I pulled up netflix on the joey it asks me to sign in, even though I already set it up and tested it on the hopper. What gives?

He also told me the hopper is rf only and you can't use an ir remote with it. But looking online, people seem to be using harmony remotes with it. So can I or can't I?

Joey use coax, not ethernet. They tie with the Hopper over it's internal MoCa network.
Connect the phone jack. I've had mine connected for 3 1/2 years without issue.
I've been using a Harmony remote with my Hopper via IR for those same 3 1/2 years. You just need to enable IR in the menu.

You got correct advice(mostly) but definitely had parts missing. The Joey uses the Internet connection from the Hopper, and you must be linked to a Hopper With asking in order for Netflix to work. Those that have mixed receivers and the Joeys linked to the H2K will not have Netflix available to use. So Netflix does come from the Hopper, but it does act as its own individual device. You can use Ethernet, but don't. It will likely crash your home network, and cannot be guaranteed to work. That is why it is not supported. You can enable the IR feature in the remote settings on the Hopper or Joey. I have seen mixed reviews for phone service. I am guessing companies play a big part in this. ATT tends not to play nice, but obviously there are ATT customers that have it work. Same with certain areas with Century Link.

Just to mention, the Joey will have its own IP address even though it is bridges through the Hopper and MOCA connection.

So enter my netflix data on the joeys and call it a day after also enabling ir on the hopper?

I assume then too that caller ID will pass from the hopper to the joey since joey has no phone jack of it own

When the phone line is connected to the Hopper, Joeys will also see caller ID...
Learn something new everyday... not that it matters, as I will not pay the $20 taxes and fees for phone lines here in Phx, on a $9.99 phone plan...

And connecting Ethernet to joeys is bad and offers no benefit right?
Short run might offer benefit, but not long run. Even if you have an expensive router, you are needlessly pushing more info
Through it than it is likely designed for. Plus signal quality is not as good, and any troubles you have with it will be met with "unsupported"

OK, I think that was mentioned now that I read it again.

One thing I have noticed, exited netflix, no sound on TV till channel change. And once did it when changing TV input back to joey. Not sure why.

Since joey has no Ethernet or phone it really makes me think about relocating coax to behind TV vs long hdmi to Connect the two. This would be more about WAF, just something to consider. Otherwise, so far so good.

Sometimes the remote is goofy and double presses, other times there's a slight delay on things, but satisfied for the most part.

Even if you have an expensive router, you are needlessly pushing more info
Through it than it is likely designed for.
Unlike one-way protocols, the switch in a router (or a separate switch as has now become common) is designed to handle many times the throughput required. Your claim is typically false unless some idiot is still using a hub or a Wi-fi gaming adapter.
Plus signal quality is not as good, and any troubles you have with it will be met with "unsupported"
Ethernet is "current loop" technology that offers the best signal quality you can get over long distances. Another offering of baloney.

Chances are that if you have a problem that needs support, it won't be because of an Ethernet connection.

Reactions: Troch77
Unlike one-way protocols, the switch in a router (or a separate switch as has now become common) is designed to handle many times the throughput required. Your claim is typically false unless some idiot is still using a hub or a Wi-fi gaming adapter.Ethernet is "current loop" technology that offers the best signal quality you can get over long distances. Another offering of baloney.

Chances are that if you have a problem that needs support, it won't be because of an Ethernet connection.
Totally agree, Eithernet is definitely better at handing load, speeds ,and more data, more distance then a Moca over coax will ever provide.

But Moca, Is reliable as well and is more than sufficient for anything Directv or Dish needs it for.

Dish hopper can't handle the 60 Mbps download speeds I subscribe to a month anyway.
Seems like 25 Mbps is the max I can stream from either of my Hoppers, But yet my PS4, LG Blu Ray, and Smart TV are well over 50 mbps.
Makes me wonder if that a Moca limitation, or a Hopper Limitation.

Unlike one-way protocols, the switch in a router (or a separate switch as has now become common) is designed to handle many times the throughput required. Your claim is typically false unless some idiot is still using a hub or a Wi-fi gaming adapter.Ethernet is "current loop" technology that offers the best signal quality you can get over long distances. Another offering of baloney.

I'll bite. So explain why it is not supported, as you may have been in the R&D during development? Obviously something there, otherwise the feature would be completely disabled. I will not argue, just your explanation and I will leave it at that, because that is what was passed down by the group in charge of its design and flaws, when released. What status, other than the one that the official group put out, would you say is the cause???

It's not supported because Directv and Dish are not Qualified to troubleshoot, and Install Eithernet.

It cost money and many homes don't have Eithernet already ran.
So it makes sense to use Coax.

It's not supported because Directv and Dish are not Qualified to troubleshoot, and Install Eithernet.
Dish installs satellite internet and private ISPs to the receivers regularly. They are just as qualified as any ISP technician. The technicians installing the Internet also install tv. They are not broadband only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts