Prevent Super Joey from changing channels

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Well we had an interesting thing occur that I didn't anticipate tonight. We have the Super Joey in our bedroom, and we let our kids go to sleep in our bed with the XM Classical station playing. We went in just a bit ago and an R rated movie we had set to record was playing instead. I have the parental controls set to require a passcode before showing movies like this, but I'm guessing it needed the tuner of the Super Joey to record the program so it switched it automatically.

I think/hope my kids were asleep before it started, but how can I prevent this in the future? Can I somehow set a tuner so it can't be used for recordings so I can tune to it for the kids? Or can it be defaulted to never change channel and just mark the scheduled program as unrecordable if there are no free tuners given a tuner is in use with the viewing? Or would moving to a Joey instead of the Super Joey prevent this?

Thanks for any advice.

Simply put, no. The tuners cannot be designated, as it is a floating tuner system. If you had parental locks set up, then it should have blocked the channel from being viewed prior to it switch. This all said, are the parental locks also set up in the bedroom? Each room has to have their own sets of parental locks, but you are able to copy and paste parental locks from the hopper to the joey.

Each room has to have their own sets of parental locks, but you are able to copy and paste parental locks from the hopper to the joey.

How do i do this? the installer told me anything i setup in the Hopper will carry over to the Joey, so I guess that's not true. i setup all the parental controls on the Hopper, so i'll need to set them up on the Joey too i guess. just hoped we could use the music feature on DIsh withoult it be interrupted by a recording. If there'a chance a scheduled program would shut off the music that's blah.

You can set up the parental controls at the Hopper, and then copy to each Joey(I have not tested this on a SJ since I do not have one, but am sure it is the same). Go to Menu>Settings>Parental Controls>Set all of your settings to your customizations, then when done>Copy Settings(its on the right second from top)>Select Joeys you want it to copy to. If you do not do these last 2 steps, it will not lock the joeys, and you would have to do all these steps(minus the copy settings) at the Joey itself.

the installer told me anything i setup in the Hopper will carry over to the Joey, so I guess that's not true. i setup all the parental controls on the Hopper, so i'll need to set them up on the Joey too i guess.
As Chad points out, you have to copy those settings to the Joey. Trust me, it's better than it used to be -- with a 2-TV receiver in the past, even though the other TV had no box, it acted independently. Blocked channels, parental controls, etc had to be done on both, manually.

Once you get it set up, I'm curious how it will behave. Will it pop up the PIN dialog box and if no one is there to input the PIN, it will skip the recording ? One idea is to record a 2-hour block of that channel and play it back for them instead of using a live/current tuner. That way, if you have a recording scheduled for an R-rated program, it will record it in the background since that tuner is available. One problem is, if the playback ends before the show is done recording, it will eventually return to live TV (the show being recorded) when no one responds to the "Delete / DVR / Live TV" prompt.

As Chad points out, you have to copy those settings to the Joey. Trust me, it's better than it used to be -- with a 2-TV receiver in the past, even though the other TV had no box, it acted independently. Blocked channels, parental controls, etc had to be done on both, manually.

Once you get it set up, I'm curious how it will behave. Will it pop up the PIN dialog box and if no one is there to input the PIN, it will skip the recording ? One idea is to record a 2-hour block of that channel and play it back for them instead of using a live/current tuner. That way, if you have a recording scheduled for an R-rated program, it will record it in the background since that tuner is available. One problem is, if the playback ends before the show is done recording, it will eventually return to live TV (the show being recorded) when no one responds to the "Delete / DVR / Live TV" prompt.
It will just leave the pin dialog box up. It doesnt need the pin to record, only to view.