Problem with 83 w K band on my new MicroHD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

onlysamiam

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Hello,
I received my new MicroHD yesterday. My S10 went belly up…just as it let out it’s last breath it said that it was a clone. Funny part is I did all of the checks and accordingly should have been genuine. Is any way to resurrect it?
OK here goes …when it croaked the dish was on 83 w K band. I connected the new Micro up and did a scan of 83 west and it returned about 3 dozen channels, I was only really concerned with the pbs and a few others. I was well pleased at this point I went ahead and put in long. and lat. to use USALS, for my location ;17047 about 33 mi. west of Harrisburg, Pa. mowed to the next sat 97 w . Did a blind scan and had channels, got 200 channels. How many are others getting with the MicroHD?. I have sats from 72 w to 123w and for most part the SQ is 70 to 76. I did notice that 83w was spotty bouncing around 60 to 65 the sat was never real sold with the S10 either. Later in the day I went to 83w and had no signal. No signal today either. On 72 w and 87 w the SQ is about 72. Is the there a problem with 83w? I do not want to change anything yet as the sat is tracking a good arc for SQ, Any suggestions??? And before anyone ask I did not update the receiver yet.
Thank you,
Sam

3 dozen channels on 83W? Probably not. There are only three full time channels and maybe one or two feeds at a time. I've never seen 36 channels at a time there. Do you remember which channels it was scanning?

I'm assuming nothing has changed with the dish setup if it was a simple replacing the s10 with the microHD. What kind of cable are you using and how long is the run? What kind of lnbf do you have: PLL or DRO? Can you give us some details about your setup? :)

83w on Ku has only 3 channels ITC (RTV, Tuff, PBJ), and few feeds sometimes.

It doesn´t sound to me that there are 3 dozen channels, mmm.
Right now I checked and the signal is good on 83w Ku.

He mentioned PBS, so I assume he was on 87.

I probally am mistaken on some info

Hi,
Just got home, I read thru and yes I only remember several channels not the 36 as I stated, however here are some of them nwlp,lpb2,lpb3,lpbhd, sinclair news cen, news service 5 of them listed and more. I did see three dozen, but I was peobally scanning 87w. What channels should I expect to see on 83w?

What I am positive of is that 97 w and 121w are what they should be. I may well have mistaken about having been setting on 83w but the scan I did definately had the pbs channels as one was the create channel. Am I correct to assume that pbs is on 87 west not 83 west. I was over 6 months from the dead receiver untill yesterday and my memory is not what it was 40 years ago.

My dish is an aws 36", lnb- pll 10750, Was new top of line cable-not cheap junk with the best connectors.
Motor- stab HH90 and MicroHD receiver.

Signal level is 90 and and Signal quality is mostly 70-76 on all others. When I go to 83w SL-0 and SQ-45 and
gray. Since it was reported that 83w is on the air I will go over everything as time allows.

Did anyone have an answer for how many FTA channels on a blind scan of 97w with a microHD?

Thank you for the replies,
Sam

PBS is on 87 west Ku [lpb2,lpb3,lpbhd], although at this time of the year they may not scan in all the time in the evening because the transponder? is switched over for sports feeds a few hours at night. You can look on TheList at the top of the page to see what other channels are on there and other sats, or on Lyngsat. On 83 w Ku there is Retro Tv, Tuff Tv, PBJ East and some occasional feeds ITC, like Northgeorgia and Djdish mentioned earlier.

The MicroHD is acting strange

Ok ...I downloaded and printed the 71 page manual (That I think should have been includes and not the little guy) read most of it it and wasted another hour trying to get the scan to work on 83w. I finally restored factory defaults. I then started with 72w it scanned fine went on to 83w and got 70 signal and then ran a blind scan every single tp failed. ran the other blind scan option found 2 channels that had no signal when opened. went onto scan up to 97w got 190 channels then ran the other blind scan and got 222 channels. I went back to 83w rescanned and got nothing on standard blind scan, then I thought what the heck I will try preprogrammed tp's I then was able to get SNG-2, Service 3, RTVE, TUFE and PBJE. finally the scan that was all screwed up is now correct.
I tried 5 timed to update from satellite (manual update) no luck my signal was 50 it said I needed 40 or better.
It failed all five times and displayed...Error collecting update file information. Do you think that this little guy may have some big problems. I know many of you speak poorly of the S10 units, but I never had anything as strange as this.
Perhaps Brian may have some input as to am I really doing something incorrectly or is it really a gremlin in the BOX.
Thanks,
Sam

I seriously doubt it's the MicroHD receiver, unless you have something set wrong in the settings somehow. I have two of them, and haven't seen issues such as this. You really need to go through your whole system and check it out. Start by taking the receiver and a tv set right out to the dish itself, and hook it up with a NEW short piece of coax direct to the lnb and test it like that. If that still doesn't work, replace the lnb also! Stop comparing it to a receiver that went bad so long ago, and don't ASSUME anything. Just because everything was working way back before your old receiver croaked, does NOT mean the rest of the system couldn't have developed and unknown problem since then.

I had a kinked coax once, and it notched out certain channels but passed others. Really odd, and all because a coax had a kink in it.

P.S. Wait a minute, what version and date firmware is on the MicroHD?

Last edited:
Don't forget about the solar outages this time of year either , while you're tweaking your system. If you fail to get channels you know you already scanned in, first take a look at where the sun is. And maybe try another satellite for a few minutes.

One other thing that tends to make me believe that it is the micro when I put in the antenna set-up info
I get two sets of signal bars that positively is nor correct and no incorrect setting on my part could have caused this!

The info is: Software Version...TDV10290-1-0-2-0, Product Version...HDVS544012-1211457A0 2013-1-31.

Just because someone has two micro's does not indicate that I have perhaps entered bad data to cause the problem. I see no reasonable explanation why I am able to get over 15 sats scanned in with no problems using the blind scan and one that
I had to use pre-programmed TP's (83w). Not to mention all of the other crap before I did the factory reset and started all over, some of which was my fault for thinking that I was sitting on 83w, when actually on 87w. That is when the corrections from you guys caused me to realize my error and thus the factory reset after I pulled what little have left out.
I just did a scan of 87w and got 31 channels FTA which included the PBS ones that I wanted. That means that all of the sats and channels I wanted to get are up and running.
I also just tried to update by sat...it failed for the sixth time.
Took my portable along with a new piece of cable and hooked directly to the lnb...did NOT make any difference with the strangeness of the micro.

Any input than can answer the MicroHD strangeness is more than welcomed.
Thank you to everyone for your input regardless if I especially agreed with it or not!
Thanks again,
Sam

What kind of LNBF are you using and how long/what type of cable run do you have? The reason I am insistent on this is because when I installed a PLL LNBF on a 150 ft run of mixed RG6 and RG59, my Openbox s10 worked fine, but the microHD couldn't manage that setup (it did great with a DRO LNBF). After changing out the wiring, it now works great.

As suggested by primestar, take a tv and the microHD out to the dish and use a small piece of RG6 coax to see if you get the same results. Edit: I think you said you have done this in your last post. Do you have any other receiver around to connect and see if the LNBF is working properly? Could you paste a photo of your "antenna setup" screen or provide the data here? We'd also need to know the type of LNBF you have.

Last edited:
What kind of LNBF are you using and how long/what type of cable run do you have? The reason I am insistent on this is because when I installed a PLL LNBF on a 150 ft run of mixed RG6 and RG59, my Openbox s10 worked fine, but the microHD couldn't manage that setup (it did great with a DRO LNBF). After changing out the wiring, it now works great.

As suggested by primestar, take a tv and the microHD out to the dish and use a small piece of RG6 coax to see if you get the same results. Edit: I think you said you have done this in your last post. Do you have any other receiver around to connect and see if the LNBF is working properly?

I tried the primestar suggestion as well as yours and no luck. Earlier in a post I listed my setup. The lnb is a pll type if you need more info I will get the ladder out and climb up an put an eyeball to it. I switched out the lnb with the one that I used before it, the reason I replaced it with the pll type was to try to get a more stable signal on weaker sats. I do not think that 70 to 76 are weak signals for the micro as per reading comparisons to other receivers.

So, just to be clear in my mind, you have tried both a PLL and DRO LNBF with the same results at the receiver? I apologize for missing your set-up, but saw you said top of the line cable, but do you know for sure if it is RG6 or higher? Have you checked the obvious: tight connections from coax to motor, motor to lnbf?

Satellite updates for the microHD are on 97w G19-KU, transponder 12115. Did you change to this transponder before attempting to update?

Always perform a factory reset and then remove the power for 5-10 seconds after updating firmware.

Last edited:
So, just to be clear in my mind, you have tried both a PLL and DRO LNBF with the same results at the receiver? I apologize for missing your set-up, but saw you said top of the line cable, but do you know for sure if it is RG6 or higher? Have you checked the obvious: tight connections from coax to motor, motor to lnbf?

'Yes. yes and yes, the cable is rg6 40' run. Does not help with a new 6' at the lnb directly. The old lnb was a universal WS Industries.

Satellite updates for the microHD are on 97w G19-KU, transponder 12115. Did you change to this transponder before attempting to update?

Always perform a factory reset and then remove the power for 5-10 seconds after updating firmware.

No, I used the factory default. SQ was 50. I went into update and tried to change the transponder to 12115 it is not in the list both 12090 and 12120 are and both SQ is 73. If I need to do something other than this could you please explain and also the exact steps to accomplish this change.

TP 12115 V 22425 is definitely in the default transponder list of the 97w G19-KU satellite, unless you deleted it. To return to the default satellite/transponder settings, do a factory reset (default).

The default transponder list is separated by horizontal and vertical TPs. It appears that you are looking at the horizontal portion of the list instead of the vertical section. Keep pressing the left/right arrow keys until you get to TP 12115 V 22425 (or press the List/OK key to display a list of TP).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Satellite Nation moved to Friday this week

What Happenned to Reelz and OneWorldSports in Galaxy17 (91W) ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)