Problems with Search and DVR program icons

miracleman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Chicago
In the past few days, i've noticed some weird behavior on my Hopper (and Joeys). When i hit the search button, no matter what i search for, nothing comes up. Additionally, when i first hit search, every available space for search results to show up pops up with a Back icon in the box.

Also, programs i recorded in the past several days have just the network icons, not the icons for the individual programs (i.e., instead of seeing Julie Chen's smiling face for Big Brother, i get the CBS eye instead).

Neither of these are deal-breakers, but they're just odd. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

-d

In the past few days, i've noticed some weird behavior on my Hopper (and Joeys). When i hit the search button, no matter what i search for, nothing comes up. Additionally, when i first hit search, every available space for search results to show up pops up with a Back icon in the box.

Also, programs i recorded in the past several days have just the network icons, not the icons for the individual programs (i.e., instead of seeing Julie Chen's smiling face for Big Brother, i get the CBS eye instead).

Neither of these are deal-breakers, but they're just odd. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

-d

Haven't seen this on my Hopper or Hopper with Sling. Have you reset the receiver?

No.... every time i think to do it, i'm in the middle of watching something. I figured that since it reboots every night at 1am, it didn't matter anyway. When i'm home for lunch, i'll reboot and let you guys know what i find out. If it's still misbehaving, i'll post some screen shots.

-d

Rebooting did nothing for me. Here's pics of what's going on.... when i hit search:

20130710_134312.jpg

And this is what my list of recorded programs looks like:

20130710_134333.jpg

Any other ideas?

I'm on S246. The guide does have channel logos on the left side (i'm 99% sure... i'm not at home looking at the Hopper now, but i remember seeing them at lunch, i think). On the Dish Anywhere app (which i think is fed by my dvr), my guide goes to 9/17 at 4pm. My original Hopper and 2 Joeys were installed in March of 2012.

You mentioned this happens when you first search. What if you try to search a 2nd or 3rd time? Do the tiles show up then? Are you on eastern arc or western arc? If your box is IP connected then your Dish Anywhere guide is built off of the receiver guide. Did you mean 7/17? Have you had any weather or signal issues recently or since this started?

Oops... yes, 7/17.

When i type anything into the search field, where it says "Back", every box has the word(s) that i'm searching with no actual real results. I have had some intermittent signal issues of late. For example, this morning, i lost some of my local channels for several minutes (including the same channels through OTA, which i thought was odd), and earlier in the week, my Hopper got stuck searching for a signal. I'm not sure how to know which arc i'm on. FWIW, i'm in the Chicago suburbs, and my dish is pointed southwest.

Make sure the Search class is Titles or Descriptions as appropriate and
that All Media or Program Guide or My Recordings is selected. (It is set by where you came from.)
Else you may be looking in the wrong lists.
-Ken

Wow... i think something's wrong. Here's what i found:

119-19 - 30
129-21 - Couldn't get a signal (then it hit 30 briefly)
110-16 - 34

I had a problem with low signal when i was originally installed, and on the advice of another user, i checked (and posted) the my signal strengths on several settings. Below is what i had originally followed by what came up today...

110-14: 70 (then) 28 (now)
110-15: 71 (then) 28 (now)
110-16: 73 (then) 33 (now)
110-21: 71 (then) 32 (now)

119-14: 68 (then) -- (now)
119-15: 71 (then) -- (now)
119-16: 78 (then) -- (now)
119-21: 75 (then) -- (now)

129-19: 39 (then) 18 (now)
129-20: 39 (then) 18 (now)
129-29: 41 (then) 19 (now)
129-30: 41 (then) 18 (now)

I repeat... i think something's wrong. Those numbers shouldn't have dropped so much in 18 months, should they? And the fact that i'm not getting anything on 119 is a problem, right? Please advise.

-d

I'm thinking possible foliage issue with that install. Where is the dish located? Any trees nearby?

I've been chatting with DIRT about this. They think it's a problem with signal, so we'll see what happens next. Thanks for the input, guys!

So.... after chatting with Ray on the DIRT-team, i've got a tech coming out on Saturday to figure out what's going on with my signal and, while he's at it, upgrade me to a Hopper With Sling (which i'm psyched about).

However, what i'm worried about is this... what if, for whatever reason, the tech looks at my set-up and says, "you can't get a good signal here, and the install should never have happened to begin with"? Will they take away my equipment and leave me with no service? Will i have to pay an ETF? I mean... i know my signal wasn't ideal at install and it appears to have gotten MUCH worse since then, but with the exception of the DVR icons and the search-feature, i'm able to watch tv and record whatever i want. I hope i'm not rolling the dice and risking losing what's already working. I'm also afraid that my signal is so poor that the new DVR won't be able to find the satellite and/or download the software update. Then will the tech be able to un-do things and hook up the old Hopper that was working?

I hope someone can alleviate my concerns and tell me that it's going to all work out just fine...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)