Programming Suggestions: "BBC World", "CSPAN 3", and "Chiller"

Ya, Chiller is uplinked and reports are it isn't just a slate and there is EPG info, so that is very good news. Still no word though re: C-Span 3 or BBC World. I also want CNNInternational (North American, or any feed for that matter) launched as well...

BBC World is shown several times a day on Channel 135 "BBC America".

Just set your DVR and you will get the same content. Yeah, not identical to having the feed 24/7, but you can get their viewpoint every day, if you want it.

And, BBC America just recently added "Newsnight," which is only a weekly series unlike its UK namesake, but provides an additional look at the news on 10 PM Fridays & 8 AM Sundays (Eastern).

Granted, the 10 PM Friday airing does replace "BBC World News America" but I think it's still news, and a worthwhile offering.

Not to get into this arguement, because I could care less about news channels, I have the internet. However, That youtube news clip is all about making the United States look bad. Thats why its being played in Europe and why it wasn't reported on in the United States.

My telephone provider has started a new IPTV service utilizing "IP Prime" and carry "BBC World"," CSPAN 3", and the horror channel "Chiller". Amazingly, Dish Network subcribers can not even pay extra to get "BBC World", this is first class world news (the best TV News in the World) and should be available, as should all three "CSPAN" channels including "CSPAN 3" for those who need or want to follow politics closely.

We also need CNN International!

Come on Cspan 3? Who watches Cspan 1 & 2?

I do. If one is in to politics and what goes on in the Senate and the House, (and to make sure you elected officials are representing you the way you want them to) there is nowhere else to go except CSPAN. And another great use of it is when there is a major presidential speech (State of the Union) it is much better to watch it on CSPAN than on FOX or CNN. All they do is talk over everything as if you are not smart enough to think for yourself. CSPAN makes you feel like you are there in person. It's not for everybody but MANY appreciate the value of CSPAN.

BBC World is now BBC World News. I don't think I like the makeover. The opening graphics literally can cause nausea. (view them here if you dare: BBC NEWS | UK | New titles for BBC TV News)

Still better reportage than anything available in the US though.

Attachments

• bbcworldnews.jpg
    bbcworldnews.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 106
  • bbcworldnewslogo_203.jpg
    bbcworldnewslogo_203.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
We also need CNN International!
For a short time I went from Comcast (which carries CNNI, and I otherwise loathe them) to Dish Network (which I loved except for the lack of CNNI) and really missed CNNI for the few months that I was with Dish Network. Wound up switching back soon thereafter.

To supplement Comcast's lack of other international programming, I have a FTA system which allows me to view a bunch of international content I otherwise wouldn't have access to. Just took a $50 dish, $60 motor and $120 receiver for a great (and free, after equipment costs) supplement to Comcast. Technically, since my post is 75% FTA content it should probably be in that forum, but since the subject of international news was broached here, below are my experiences in my quest for international news (specifically the channels you listed in your previous posts).

A caveat - don't confuse true FTA with that pirate crap the hackers use, they hijacked the meaning of FTA and give true FTA a bad name. :mad:

BBC World News - Carried FTA on G13 (127W) C-Band full time, available from some PBS affiliates and on BBC America at certain times (Weekdays, 6-9 AM ET, 7-8PM ET, 10-11PM ET - Weekends 6-6:30 AM)

CNN International - For some reason not widely available at all (even more so now that CNN has decided to axe the 12PM simulcast of Your World Today). Only available on Comcast in very limited areas (I live near Atlanta, so it could be my proximity to CNN Center that allows me to get it), Time Warner Cable in certain areas, AT&T U-Verse and Verizon FiOS to my knowledge here in the states. It's gaining exposure, slowly but surely I suppose.

Deutsche Welle - Available on Dish Network for (I think?) $10/month, also on Intelsat 9 (58W) and AMC 1 (103W) ITC - both C-Band. Some other channel carries DW-TV programs on Dish Network too.... I remember when I had Dish there was a channel in the high thousands called Linktv I think? that used to run it. Bunch of opportunities to see DW-TV's "Journal" FTA too: NYN on AMC 9 (79W) Ku-Band, SafeTV on G25 (97W) Ku I think runs it too in addition to MHz Worldview also on G25 Ku.

Radio France International - available FTA on G25 (97W) Ku-Band

CBC - Not available FTA, but most of their news programs are available online (local news, The National, etc.)

Summary: I get CNNI on Comcast Cable, BBC on BBC America and PBS, DW-TV Journal FTA on NYN and MHz Worldview (on 79W and 97W, respectively) RFI FTA 97W and CBC's "The National" online. Plus I watch some other channels on FTA, such as France 24 English news on MHz Worldview (usually only for 30 minutes when it comes on in the evening), Russia Today, etc.

I am considering getting a couple of C-Band dishes to get DW-TV and BBC World full time, that will be my next project.

I would switch back to Dish Network in a heartbeat if they ever decided to carry CNNI (not so much BBC World, since I can get that with a BUD - but still welcome) - especially since CNN/US decided to indefinitely suspend the 12PM simulcast of Your World Today. :(

Last edited: